Does the Audiophile Community Have a Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As KeithR posted above it is interesting how oblivious people are to the selectiveness and idiosyncraticness of their own personal sensitivities. Members who are confounded and perplexed about the sensitivity of some members to a particular topic are utterly oblivious to their own sensitivity to, and susceptibility to being triggered by, other particular topics. Yes, this means YOU!

KeithR also suggests a useful test: If you wouldn't say your comment to Karen Sumner in person, then you should not post it here. The WBF Terms of Service are about simple courtesy, simple respect, simple decorum, simple cordiality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daverich4

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
WBF Terms of Service

3. Please do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, racist, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violates any law. We reserve the right to delete any message that in our sole opinion falls in these categories and serve up administrative action to any member because of them.

"Dick jokes" are one or more of "obscene, profane, sexually oriented."

It doesn't matter if you think they are funny. It doesn't matter if other members think they are funny.

Any such post violates our Terms of Service, and will attract a warning. As has been our practice for years any member who receives three (3) warnings will be suspended from the forum.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, would you like me to close it?

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
@ Marty I actually like this thread. I find it fascinating and illuminating. First, I support the WBF Terms of Service. Not that hard to adhere to IMO. Second, women don't "need" this kind of protection from crassness. That isn't the point of the WBF Terms of Service. Third, for the record I posted the gaming industry data to point out that women don't "naturally" stay away from crude environments. That doesn't support the idea that women (or men) prefer a crude environment.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The article was more about just the inclusion of women into this hobby. I would have hoped it had gone down a different path. Thanks

Your reply is ambiguous to me. Would you like me to close the thread?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Second, women don't "need" this kind of protection from crassness. That isn't the point of the WBF Terms of Service.

Spot on. That comment what will we say to Karen Sumner is either riddled with cluelessnes or hypocrisy. What we say to people is based on how well we know them male or female. And how they reciprocate on the forum. It is quite independent of gender. And Karen Sumner has been an audiophile longer than many on this forum. And she will continue to be irrespective of what people on this forum do.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The article was more about just the inclusion of women into this hobby. I would have hoped it had gone down a different path. Thanks
This is preposterous, because you don't like the tributary the thread has gone down you want it shut. There has been ample opportunity for female members of the forum to participate, I can tell you the reason none have is nothing to do with the bogus supposition in the article you posted, and certainly not one single post here from any of us males has veered into even vaguely politically incorrect territory.
There are way more, totally mundane reasons, why women don't participate here.
And you want to shut your thread down.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Your reply is ambiguous to me. Would you like me to close the thread?
Ron, so your job now is not only to delete posts, but shut whole threads down? C'mon, don't be ridiculous.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
This is preposterous, because you don't like the tributary the thread has gone down you want it shut. There has been ample opportunity for female members of the forum to participate, I can tell you the reason none have is nothing to do with the bogus supposition in the article you posted, and certainly not one single post here from any of us males has veered into even vaguely politically incorrect territory.
There are way more, totally mundane reasons, why women don't participate here.
And you want to shut your thread down.
Sorry you came to this conclusion about my request to close the thread. Is it typical for all threads to require as much moderator warnings and interaction? My intention was why beat a dead horse and continue escalating more vitriol, that’s all. I have been away from WBF for several years.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Can we calm down and let things be civil guys when did this place get to the point Ron needs to jump in

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What am I missing? Where is all this supposed vitriol? Some of us don't agree w the preposition in the article used to originate the discussion here.
And at my last count, precisely less than one woman has contributed to say she is being demeaned or sidelined.
Are we adults here? Or what?

Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On what possible basis is there to shut down this thread? What rule does it violate? This place is getting really weird.

He already said, thank you for your participation. ToS remains unchanged and will be interpreted in same manner as before. Nothing to discuss further.

Thank you again

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There certainly are some clowns residing here Lol. My red nose and big shoes looking right back at me in this mirror.

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Let the circus continue.
Why don't you tell us your view. Throwing a controversial idea into the ring was always going to get a reaction.
But you must have some thoughts. Otherwise you wouldn't have originated this.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, so your job now is not only to delete posts, but shut whole threads down? C'mon, don't be ridiculous.

On what possible basis is there to shut down this thread? What rule does it violate? This place is getting really weird.

I don't understand. Where did I suggest that I wanted to close the thread?

This happens only very rarely, but don't we typically close a thread if the person who started the thread wishes it to be closed?

Peter, what new thing has happened just now to make you feel that "this place is getting really weird"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing