DSD Battle Royale!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
No external clocks. I have never used one that made the converter sound better.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info!
So the ADCs are on their own, without any significant confounding factors! Good!

BTW I remember some similar comparison performed on CD-ripping softwares one or two years ago. The PCM file ripped by different ripping softwares were checked by some checking/checksum softwares and were said to be identical. However some audiophile swaer by that sonic diffeeence exists on playback.

Last edited:

PhilipAC

Nov 20, 2013
Hi Bruce

One question- since it is the same performance on all ADCs, presumably you sent the feed directly into all 5 ADCs during the performance. Presumably there was no possibility that the feeds were different in any way between the ADCs?

Incidentally, we thought that of the DSD64s 2 was best, followed by 3 and 5 (close together), then 4 and last was 1.

Philip

EDIT Don't bother with the Q- I know answer now!

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Mar 21, 2011
I added 64 or 128 to the file names to avoid confusion. My preferences seem to be different from the previous posts and I was surprised that my preferences for the DSD128 files did not rank higher. Here are my preferences from best to worst:

1. 001_64
2. 004_128
3. 003_64
4. 001_128
5. 005_128
6. 004_64
7. 002_64
8. 005_64

1audio

Sep 17, 2010
SF Bay Area
The linked download directory seems to be empty. Did we overstay our welcome?

Were all the files encoded simultaneously or sequentially? Changes in the tape playback over repetition is pretty well known and at this level could be significant.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The linked download directory seems to be empty. Did we overstay our welcome?

Seems the files were deleted by someone in Australia from IP 121.222.145.160
This is twice it has happened. Guess that's what happens when you give the world access to your User/PW information!

Last edited:

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Had to check my IP address to make sure I did not accidentally delete your files Bruce. Nope wasn't me :)
Probably would have been safer to do a dropbox or yousendit link instead of a direct assess link?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Yeah, I was trying to keep it simple.

These downloads were advertised over 4 forums that I know of... probably many more. I didn't want to hassle with email links. Guess you'll have to bear with me if someone deletes them. I'll get them back up as soon as I can.

Thanks...!!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah, I was trying to keep it simple.

These downloads were advertised over 4 forums that I know of... probably many more. I didn't want to hassle with email links. Guess you'll have to bear with me if someone deletes them. I'll get them back up as soon as I can.

Thanks...!!

You could put them on a public Dropbox link and avoid email addy management, but you would still have the risk of inadvertent deletions.

Jud

Nov 23, 2013
Here you go...

001. Tascam DA-3000
002. EMM Labs ADC8 IV
003. Grimm AD1
004. Korg MR2000s
005. Merging Horus

Hope it's OK now that IDs are up to say I liked the Horus.

At some future point when the chance that you'll influence others' preferences has become minimal, Bruce, would you consider saying which of these most accurately captured the input in your opinion?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce, would you consider saying which of these most accurately captured the input in your opinion?

I would say it's a toss up between the Grimm and Horus. I like the Grimm better at 64fs and the Horus at 128fs. Most people pick the EMM/Meitner because it has a great coloration. It's not accurate, but it does sound good. For my listening enjoyment, I'd pick the Meitner. For mastering and knowing I depend on what goes in, comes out, would be the Horus. The Grimm is somewhere in between.

PhilipAC

Nov 20, 2013
Bruce

From your previous knowledge of the Ayre QA-09, where would you put it relative to these five?

Also, have you heard the PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter?

Thanks

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
I would say it's a toss up between the Grimm and Horus. I like the Grimm better at 64fs and the Horus at 128fs. Most people pick the EMM/Meitner because it has a great coloration. It's not accurate, but it does sound good. For my listening enjoyment, I'd pick the Meitner. For mastering and knowing I depend on what goes in, comes out, would be the Horus. The Grimm is somewhere in between.

At least I can rest knowing I still have expensive taste!

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Bruce

From your previous knowledge of the Ayre QA-09, where would you put it relative to these five?

Also, have you heard the PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter?

Thanks

I had the same question about the Playback Designs DSD DACs - where would they fit in the comparison if a PD ADC was available ?

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Bruce,

Thanks.
For what it's worth my preference regarding DSD128 is:
1) 005
2) 004 - 001

I will be waiting for your announced DSD256 files :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing