Dyson Vacuum Cleaners

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Carol,
Edit - my wife and I both have a Dyson hair dryer and really like them, too. Best I've ever had.

Shall have to look into them. Thing about hair dryers... they don't go bad that often. My last one that died was from college! And it only died a couple years back.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Shall have to look into them. Thing about hair dryers... they don't go bad that often. My last one that died was from college! And it only died a couple years back.
My
My wife loves hers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I totally agree. I've owned three Dyson vacs and won't ever buy another one. We use Miele now

The only Dyson we have now is the hair dryer which performs well

I like Miele too!!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well, now I'm a little disappointed with Dyson, if both Justin and Steve have had problems!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I changed my vac from Dyson cordless. Dyson's hand dryer in public toilets is also poor

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't know why everything a company makes has to be good, for some of the stuff they make to be good.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I don't know why everything a company makes has to be good, for some of the stuff they make to be good.

I have had a couple of Dyson's earlier trditional upright vacuuum cleaners over a period of a bout 10 years and both are still going strong.
IME it is sensible to have them serviced every year or two and to change or clean the filters as advised

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I like Miele too!!!

Yes. We purchased a Miele Marin when we moved into our new house in 2013. It is a excellent vacuum, quiet, powerful, HEPA, moves well, power head, will get almost flat to go under furniture. No complaints. It runs like a champ.

We don't use the Miele nearly as much since we purchased a Dyson cordless in 2017. It is a V8 model. Easy to store on its charger and easy to grab for use; so far no issues with battery life, works great on both rugs and hardwood. I was first surprised at how much dirt it picks up. The convenience of lightweight cordless go-anywhere and the ample power it has makes it the vacuum we reach for 'everyday' cleaning.

We had a Roomba (round) maybe 15 yrs ago. I'd put it in the bedroom, lift the covers onto the bed, turn it on and close the door. If it didn't get stuck it would do a good job, but cleaning the thing was a pita. I vaguely recall there was some problem with the batteries. Maybe they've improved.

... slow night, talking about vacuums...

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have had a couple of Dyson's earlier trditional upright vacuuum cleaners over a period of a bout 10 years and both are still going strong.
IME it is sensible to have them serviced every year or two and to change or clean the filters as advised

It's a freakin' vacuum cleaner and the design should be simple, lightweight and robust enough not to need regular servicing.

However, I found the Dyson's we had broke enough to effectively get regular servicing anyway. They were also just way too heavy, and had too many parts by a long shot. Made of a heavy plastic that breaks easily.

It's a bad design made to look cool with persuasive advertising. That's it, really.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's a vacuum cleaner not a car for regular servicing.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Dyson products are the ultimate example of style over substance.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We had a Roomba (round) maybe 15 yrs ago. I'd put it in the bedroom, lift the covers onto the bed, turn it on and close the door. If it didn't get stuck it would do a good job, but cleaning the thing was a pita. I vaguely recall there was some problem with the batteries. Maybe they've improved.[/QUOTE

!5 years ago the Roomba was a novel idea but way ahead of its time. In fact the current version of the Top of the Line Roomba is excellent. I also had an earlier version Roomba and abandoned their technology for Neato which for me is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It rarely if ever will get stuck and I can create a cleaning floor plan and place no cross lines where I don't want it to go. IMO once you use a Neato you will never use another vacuum

I gave up on Tyson as I agree, they break

I've never had a problem with my Neato and if you want to try something 21st century I promise you that the amount of dirt it picks up fro the floor or carpet after your house has been cleaned will astound you. It misses nothing. You set it for turbo clean or eco clean. You can set it for spot clean or turn it on and let it do it's thing. Mine returns to home base after about 75 minutes to recharge itself after which it sets off again to finish the rest which it knows it has not vacuumed

https://neatorobotics.com

qianqian

WBF Technical Expert
Oct 29, 2020
I changed my vac from Dyson cordless. Dyson's hand dryer in public toilets is also poor
I think dyson vacuum cleaner is expensive, but it's really famous among people. As for buying a hair dryer or vacumm cleaners, I like to choose MOOSOO, though it's a new brand recent year , but it's good and have the best price.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
The Dyson Vac we bought 6 or 7 years ago was the top of the range, dog hair friendly etc. It broke on first outing. Very poor design reliant on plastic. Returned it the next day and replaced with a Sebo. No issues, like Miele. The chap at John Lewis (UK Dept store) did not seem that surprised.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
It took me a long time to work my way into the dyson vacuum hype.. but I needed a portable to tackle the pet hair.. So I bought the dyson animal V8+ which has exceeded my expectations. Battery life, suction power, ease of use .. works great on hardwoods and good on carpets.. still have a 37 year old Electrolux upright that works as new.. but nice not to need a cord for most things..

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think dyson vacuum cleaner is expensive, but it's really famous among people. As for buying a hair dryer or vacumm cleaners, I like to choose MOOSOO, though it's a new brand recent year , but it's good and have the best price.

Interesting, had not heard of them before. So far so good huh?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
After my third Dyson failed (poor batterie technology) I switched to the new LG. Far superior to Dyson in features, technology and most importantly fit and finish.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
We have switched to using a Sebo after the Roomba stopped working.
Dyson stick is for the quick little things that happen, so far so good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing