EMM Labs XDS1

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I listened at some length to arguably the best CD/SACD players currently available at RMAF 2008 and 2011: Dcs Puccini/U-Clock, Esoteric K-01, EMM Labs XDS1, and Playback Designs MPS-5. After RMAF last year I listened extensively to the Esoteric K-05 (K-01 wasn't available) at a dealer in Golden, and the EMM Labs XDS1 at dealer in Boulder.

I thought they all sounded exceptional on both RBCD and SACD (presence, timbre, articulation, dynamics, and imaging). I've owned two CD/SACD players, the Sony SCD-1 and the Cary 306 CD/SACD that replaced it. I still think the 306 is an excellent value player, especially on the resale market used to sell it.

I'm passionate about most music and fortunate to be able to absorb myself in this pleasure many hours each week. I purchased the XDS1 last December because of it's ability to reproduce instruments with extraordinary realism and delicacy. IMO the XDS1 coupled with a highly competent audio system simply is the most musical and analog sounding digital source I've heard.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
I've heard the EMM Labs CD player and was not impressed (13K?), the remote would not even work properly. I would take the Rega Isis any day.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've had the CDSD, CDSD SE, P8i and the Playback MPS-5. I have heard in other systems the dCS stack, XDS1 and the Esoteric stack. For me, the Playback Designs MPS-5 was the only one that I felt that sounded more natural and what was actually recorded. The digital input facility made it a no-brainer.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I am interested to buy either the MPS-5 or the XDS-1 this week.
I can't audition either players before buying.
I hope everyone, anyone, who has heard both chip in with your comments.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Some people are saying that Meitner has left EMM lab to set up Meitner lab.
Is that true or false?
I am under the impression that Meitner is still at the helm at emm lab, the new company is just a sideline.
Can anyone clarify?

clab

Feb 12, 2012
traveling but based in Switzerland
Back to the XDS1 ... I have heard it many times, it's an excellent machine !

I have dCS Puccini & clock and can only compare it to this one:

-the XDS1 has a darker overall tonal balance than my dCS
-especially in bass frequencies (double-bass for ex.) it brings even more details and informations than the dCS !
-the staging of the musicians with the dCS is behind the loudspeakers, with the XDS1 a little more closer to the auditor
-playing SACD I found the dCS superior with more definition, but I heard there has been an upgrade of the software of the EMM Lab since then ... ?

in conclusion it's a question of personal taste (dark/bright) and combination with your system ...
if your system has bright and open sound, it will be a good choice ... if it's on the dark side, you should maybe choose something else

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I am interested to buy either the MPS-5 or the XDS-1 this week.
I can't audition either players before buying.
I hope everyone, anyone, who has heard both chip in with your comments.

In the interests of providing as much information as possible; I purchased my EMM Labs from the Audio Federation in Boulder, Colorado (Mike & Neli Davis). I spent about 4 hours listening to the Coltrane Supreme based system using the XDS1 as the source. I heard this same audio system at the 2008 RMAF and IMHO it's a really great audio system.

During that listening session I said I was also considering the Esoteric K-01 based on limited listening at RMAF and some extended listening to a K-05 at a Golden, Colorado dealer. After my visit Mike & Neli arranged a direct comparison of the EMM Labs XDS1 in a customer's Esoteric K-01 based system last November, and posted their opinion at http://audiofederation.com/blog/categories/reviews/. Obviously I was aware Mike & Neli would be somewhat biased towards the XDS1, but I found them very knowledgeable and reasonable during my listening session.

After the comparison I also spoke directly to the K-01 owner and thought it revealing he told me that although he was still very happy with his K-01, he was surprised at how much he enjoyed listening to the XDS1.

I do think the K-01 was somewhat at a disadvantage because of confusion resulting from the many filter options that player offers. But based on my own limited listening to the K-01 I felt their opinions of the two players generally confirmed what I had heard. As I said earlier, all the players in this category are great CD/SACD players.

I also agree all equipment depends on an overall audio system synergy and I can completely understand these players offer different things for different people. I appreciate the XDS1 build philosophy of the keeping the signal paths as short and pure as possible. For me the XDS1 has the most musical and delicate sound.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've been to Mike and Neli home in Boulder as well (my daughter is a senior there) and heard the Coltrane Supreme but at the time they only had a Meitner CDSA

FWIW, Mike and Neli are not fans of the MPS-5 (could it be because they sell Meitner) :)

If you scroll half way down this link you'll see Mike's comparison of PD vs Meitner

http://audiofederation.com/blog/categories/reviews/

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Is there any way to check the firmware version on the xds1?
I was told by the local dealer that mine is a new batch with latest firmware...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

You could try asking for the serial number and then calling Emm Labs to see what they have on record as having been installed.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com

My dealer advised me the player shipped to me in 12/2011 had the latest firmware updates. My understanding is that firmware update addressed the digital input upsampling rates. Since I'm not using computer audio I can't tell you more than that.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I got a unit with the serial number 6508, but that probably doesn't mean anything.
I was told by other users the updates improve the player's sound quality too.
The sound currently lacks top end extension, and bass is slightly lumpy.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I got a unit with the serial number 6508, but that probably doesn't mean anything.

I thought that you can update to current firmaware on the Meitner site as we usede to be able to but checking the site, this no longer exists.

Playback Designs alllows for firmware upgrade on their website

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com

I contacted my dealer today and was advised the firmware update in addition to increasing the digital input upsampling rates, did improve the sonics. They're looking for a way to display the firmware version on the player if that's possible.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I contacted my dealer today and was advised the firmware update in addition to increasing the digital input upsampling rates, did improve the sonics. They're looking for a way to display the firmware version on the player if that's possible.

Thanks. How long did your unit took to run in?
And what was the initial sound like when you first took it out of the box?

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Can I be enlightened how a firmware update can improve the sonics of a cd player? Thanks

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Can I be enlightened how a firmware update can improve the sonics of a cd player? Thanks

Depending on what the firmware actually commands it could range from laser control to algorithms I think. Usually updated firmwares just deal with bugs and stuff. In my case the firmware of my DP-78 was updated and I heard no definite sonic improvements so probably there were none. It did solve glitches when toggling between CD and SACD layers of certain discs, particularly TOC problems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing