EMM Labs XDS1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I don't know, it will take a while for everything to settle down and get worked out. I hope to sell the 077.

Guess we'll just have to wait to read your impressions...;) Any initial thoughts? How does it compare to other digtal you've heard?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Guess we'll just have to wait to read your impressions...;) Any initial thoughts? How does it compare to other digtal you've heard?

I have not heard the DAC2X yet but all reports have been stellar. I hope if the 111 is it, it will simplify everything :) and sound great as well.

Last edited:

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Well, I figured that it would cost a few thousand dollars anyhow to upgrade the XDS1 to allow DSD over USB and so I traded up to the TSDX/DAC2X combo. I should have my units in about a week. Frankly, I remain skeptical that sonically the TSDX/DAC2X will offer more than a small improvement over the XDS1, but I will be happy to be proven wrong. ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have not heard the DAC2X yet but all reports have been stellar. I hope if the 111 is it, it will simplify everything :) and sound great as well.

ahhh...i assumed when you 'smiled' about my noticing the avatar it was because you had the Burmester music server in your system already. When you hear it, do let us know how it compares to your existing digital! ;)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
ahhh...i assumed when you 'smiled' about my noticing the avatar it was because you had the Burmester music server in your system already. When you hear it, do let us know how it compares to your existing digital! ;)

Hi Lloyd,

My avatar is like a changing room, a place to try new things on to see how they look :p. I've been starting to settle down lately. I've come to really appreciate my 911mk3 monos on my CR-1's and it really got me thinking. I was hot for a Burmester 089/069 last year as talk of the 111 server started to emerge. It combines all reference components and while expensive on the face of it, combines a reference preamp, reference dac and reference player. I think down the road they will be around to service/upgrade it as well. I have to believe the synergy with my 911's will be undeniable. Having an all-in-one unit is very compelling at the moment and it will take care of all my sources, literally. So if I can sell some gear and pick up the 111, I'll be a happy camper.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Let us know when it arrives!!! Sounds like a very sensible approach...in general, the theory should work extremely well. The question will be the execution...in general multi-function tends to result in compromises...perhaps because it allows for separates to continue selling...it could be because the price point results in corners being cut. Probably more the former than the latter, as we have seen some truly SOTA integrated amps where 15-20 years ago there were far fewer if any leading SOTA integrateds...

...i suspect with Burmester they will not skimp...but they may just put even more into their single-function pieces and raise the bar yet again...to keep us audiophiles hungry for more upgrades!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Let us know when it arrives!!! Sounds like a very sensible approach...in general, the theory should work extremely well. The question will be the execution...in general multi-function tends to result in compromises...perhaps because it allows for separates to continue selling...it could be because the price point results in corners being cut. Probably more the former than the latter, as we have seen some truly SOTA integrated amps where 15-20 years ago there were far fewer if any leading SOTA integrateds...

...i suspect with Burmester they will not skimp...but they may just put even more into their single-function pieces and raise the bar yet again...to keep us audiophiles hungry for more upgrades!

Well said Lloyd! I'll spill the beans when I know something.

:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The new combo, even if they are barely half an hour out of the box leaves the xds1 for dead.
Dead. Murdered and mutilated beyond all recognition.
Come and take the corpse away....
Harbeth.C7ES3.system.9.jpg
I always have had this feeling, deep down inside, that I made a mistake with the xds1.
For the longest time, I had not been entirely happy with the purchase.
After more than 2 months, the xds1 still sound lean at the mid bass region, and high frequency at the very top end seems truncated, robbing ambience off some of their naturalness.

The new combo is everything you have always wanted in the xds1 and felt silly to ask.
I think they made a mistake with the xds1.
Too much filtering or something.
Perhaps having the transport and dac in the same chassis require a lot of heavy duty band aids.
Whatever they did, it appears to have shackled it's ability to present music with all their wholesomeness.

View attachment 4438

Jeromelang, I have just read you comments on the EMM Labs XDS1, sorry for the late reply.
I have never experienced this with my EMM Labs XDS1 in my audio systems at Parmenter Sound, very strange that you have these results in your audio system. The EMM Labs XDS1 is rich full bodied and extremely musical right through the audio range plus very revealing as to how the CD/SACD has been recorded.

I would suggest from looking at your audio room (picture link attached) the solution would be some room acoustic treatment and covering the hard reflective floor tiles with a thick wool rug. There is a lot of audio equipment that is replaced when the listening room is the problem. Your music room acoustics contributes to over 50% of the sound you are hearing from the audio system.

By the way I hope you joking about the Shark Fin Soup??

Attachments

• Harbeth.C7ES3.system.6.jpg
    Harbeth.C7ES3.system.6.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 1,053
Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
You are so silly.

If it was a room issue, the TSDX and DAC2X will have the same problem.
But in the same system, without changing anything, the combo sounds rich and more robust, and utterly satisfying.

I also have had the opportunities to hear the xds1 in 3 other places.

When you use the xds1 as a transport going into the dac2x (via optilink) you will hear its distinct sonic signature - lean and whitish palatte overlaid onto a flat soundstage.

Shark fins soup is immensely tasty.

:cool:

You are so silly.

If it was a room issue, the TSDX and DAC2X will have the same problem.
But in the same system, without changing anything, the combo sounds rich and more robust, and utterly satisfying.

I also have had the opportunities to hear the xds1 in 3 other places.

When you use the xds1 as a transport going into the dac2x (via optilink) you will hear its distinct sonic signature - lean and whitish palatte overlaid onto a flat soundstage.

Shark fins soup is immensely tasty.

:cool:

Yes I must be silly not to be able to hear what you are hearing with the EMM Labs XDS1 in my audio system along with all the other audio reviewers/ audio mastering engineers who use the XDS1 for their reference and rate this as one of the very best digital products made today.

Then again I probably do not have the experience you have had with different hi end audio products & acoustic music environments to be able to hear these short comings.

I wish you Karma for the shark fin soup.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
So silly, it's like saying new zealanders should burn in hell for rearing all those cattles and sheeps for slaughter and to be eaten by human beings.

So silly, it's like saying new zealanders should burn in hell for rearing all those cattles and sheeps for slaughter and to be eaten by human beings.

Shark finning is a wasteful and inhumane practice that involves catching a shark, killing it, removing the fins and dumping the body overboard. Finning means only 2% of the shark is actually used. It is unnecessarily contributing to declining shark numbers, some of which are already dangerously low.

Shark finning is already illegal in 98 countries including Australia, the United States, Canada, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil, the European Union, Guam, Guatemala and Belize.

But in New Zealand it is a different story. Fishers can remove fins if the sharks are dead. The bodies are often dumped overboard to avoid the costs of onboard storage. This means only 2% of the shark is used, and the remaining 98% is wasted.

We are campaigning strongly for New Zealand Government to ban shark fin fishing in our waters.

http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/campaigns/shark-finning-new-zealands-shame

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing