Entreq Tellus grounding

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
You guys are way ahead of me, but I'm trying to learn about properly grounding for chassis and signal.

I currently only have a small Silver Minimus Entreq box and Eartha cable connected to my Shindo preamp. I forget which upgraded wooden knob I have, but its not the new Peak 4.

When I got this little Silver Minimus, it made a nice improvement in sound quality, so I haven't touched it for several years.

I am planning to make a reasonable investment (whatever that is, anymore - perhaps $5K) in a grounding solution......or perhaps partial grounding solution for $5K?

I would love an answer to imtimbabb's question......When I power down my system, does my Silver Minimum also "shut down."

I have noticed that after an hour of listening, things begin to improve. Perhaps its the Entreq box waking up? I just assumed it was a preamp transformer warming up.

Also, someone in this thread suggested starting with the ground on my Torus AVR Power Conditioner.

Can my little Silver Minimus handle a large power conditioner or do I need a larger Entreq box to hear any affect? My whole system only draws 1.9 amps.

Since I'm just getting started I won't bore everyone with all my questions. If there is an Enteq dealer on this thread, perhaps we could chat off line.
Hi there.
You have got a very good system which I am sure would benefit from an injection of additional Entreq grounding products.
If you would like to PM me I would be happy to share my experience with you.
The Entreq website is good, but you need to bear in mind that Per's English is is not 100% fluent.
The section on negative speaker terminal grounding is particularly worth reading as I and many others have found that to be very effective and is within your budget.
Kind regards
Barry

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
You guys are way ahead of me, but I'm trying to learn about properly grounding for chassis and signal.

I currently only have a small Silver Minimus Entreq box and Eartha cable connected to my Shindo preamp. I forget which upgraded wooden knob I have, but its not the new Peak 4.

When I got this little Silver Minimus, it made a nice improvement in sound quality, so I haven't touched it for several years.

I am planning to make a reasonable investment (whatever that is, anymore - perhaps $5K) in a grounding solution......or perhaps partial grounding solution for $5K?

I would love an answer to imtimbabb's question......When I power down my system, does my Silver Minimum also "shut down."

I have noticed that after an hour of listening, things begin to improve. Perhaps its the Entreq box waking up? I just assumed it was a preamp transformer warming up.

Also, someone in this thread suggested starting with the ground on my Torus AVR Power Conditioner.

Can my little Silver Minimus handle a large power conditioner or do I need a larger Entreq box to hear any affect? My whole system only draws 1.9 amps.

Since I'm just getting started I won't bore everyone with all my questions. If there is an Enteq dealer on this thread, perhaps we could chat off line.
Most of your questions have already been answered previously. You will learn a lot of things by reading the posts dated from end of 2021 to present.

The ground box never go to sleep, only your components need to be warmed up after the power was down. I won't listen to my system until a 2-days warm up time.

Power conditioner is one of the best spots to start your grounding journey and it will benefit from your Silver Minimus. It will not blow up, just that the better and bigger the ground box for the power conditioner, the better the performance gain.

Your Silver Minimus box is with some 10 years old technology. The latest ground boxes are a couple of generations ahead and the newer ground cables are much better than the first generation as well.

Please check your PM.

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
Thank you dts-99. I will read through all of the posts. I am determined to find the best solution. I should have listened to my parents when they suggested Electrical Engineering. Happy New Year!!

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
Hi everyone. Happy New Year!

I’ve been reading this long thread and would like to try out the Entreq ground boxes.

My system is composed as follows:

• Gryphon Essence mono amps and Gryphon Pandora preamp
  • D’Agostino Momentum Phono preamp
  • Wilson Audio Sasha DAW Speakers
  • Digital Source: dCS Vivaldi (four stack), SotM sNH-10G Switch, sPS-500 PU, and Mutec Ref 10 120 se External Clock
  • Analog Source: Bergmann Galder, Odin Tonearm, My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum
  • Cables: Transparent Audio Reference XL and Opus (IC and Speaker)
  • Transparent Audio Reference Isolator
What would be the best way to start with ground boxes (Entreq model) and on which components of my system? Please note that I don't have a lot of free space in my listening room so I should keep the number of units to a minimum.

Many thanks,
Franco

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

I’ve been reading this long thread and would like to try out the Entreq ground boxes.

• Digital Source: dCS Vivaldi (four stack), SotM sNH-10G Switch, sPS-500 PU, and Mutec Ref 10 120 se External Clock
What would be the best way to start with ground boxes (Entreq model) and on which components of my system? Please note that I don't have a lot of free space in my listening room so I should keep the number of units to a minimum.

Many thanks,
Franco
Hi Franco and a Happy New Year to you too.
As you will have seen I am a long term user and advocate of Entreq grounding.
Entreq seeks to tackle the pollution to the audio signals in your system and to give you a purer reproduction of the music.
The main sources of that pollution are the mains supply itself, the EMI that all components generate when they are switched on and RFI.
The quality of the mains supply can vary significantly, for example a bigger problem in a block of apartments than in a detached house, or whether yo have a dedicated power line to your system.system.Without knowing your situation it's bit difficult to comment in more detail, but happy to do so with more details.
Mindful of your wish to keep the number of units to a minimum I suggest you look at the section in the Entreq website on negative speaker terminal grounding which I and many others have found to be very good. Point one, you need separate boxes for that, or a bigger box with entirely separate compartments.
So,for example a Poseidon ground box and three earth cables. You can the connect the earth cables to the two separate negative output terminals of your mono amps and the third to a spare input on the Pandora pre amp.The resultant grounding is then tackling the signal pollution in the audio signals going to your pre amp and the negative speaker terminal grounding is both reinforcing that and addressing the EMI produced by the Essence mono power amps.
When,if, you do that the signal cable to the amps should be fitted first and then the ground cables. I use spades on both which makes it very straightforward, but it's not the only option.
I think it's best for me to let you explore that option and see what you think about it rather than setting out a range of other options at this stage, but happy to advise further.

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
Hi Franco and a Happy New Year to you too.
As you will have seen I am a long term user and advocate of Entreq grounding.
Entreq seeks to tackle the pollution to the audio signals in your system and to give you a purer reproduction of the music.
The main sources of that pollution are the mains supply itself, the EMI that all components generate when they are switched on and RFI.
The quality of the mains supply can vary significantly, for example a bigger problem in a block of apartments than in a detached house, or whether yo have a dedicated power line to your system.system.Without knowing your situation it's bit difficult to comment in more detail, but happy to do so with more details.
Mindful of your wish to keep the number of units to a minimum I suggest you look at the section in the Entreq website on negative speaker terminal grounding which I and many others have found to be very good. Point one, you need separate boxes for that, or a bigger box with entirely separate compartments.
So,for example a Poseidon ground box and three earth cables. You can the connect the earth cables to the two separate negative output terminals of your mono amps and the third to a spare input on the Pandora pre amp.The resultant grounding is then tackling the signal pollution in the audio signals going to your pre amp and the negative speaker terminal grounding is both reinforcing that and addressing the EMI produced by the Essence mono power amps.
When,if, you do that the signal cable to the amps should be fitted first and then the ground cables. I use spades on both which makes it very straightforward, but it's not the only option.
I think it's best for me to let you explore that option and see what you think about it rather than setting out a range of other options at this stage, but happy to advise further.
Thanks Barry.

The dealer seems to suggest to start with an Olympus Ten Tungsten Infinity with the Eartha Apollo and Everest for each preamp (line and phono).

What do you think? I can certainly try that but, as I said, unfortunately, I don't have enough room to add a box for each of my electronics.

As to your point regarding quality of the main supply, I live in a flat with no dedicated power line for stereo.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Barry.

The dealer seems to suggest to start with an Olympus Ten Tungsten Infinity with the Eartha Apollo and Everest for each preamp (line and phono).

What do you think? I can certainly try that but, as I said, unfortunately, I don't have enough room to add a box for each of my electronics.

As to your point regarding quality of the main supply, I live in a flat with no dedicated power line for stereo.
Thanks Frankie
The dealer's suggestion is certainly an option and I certainly agree with his suggestion of Apollo earth cables. The Apollo range is the sweet spot of the Entreq range.
I prefer my suggestion, but he may not have a Poseidon in stock and which are available on order.Does he have a Tellus Infinity II you could try in place of the Poseidon if he does not have one of those in stock.
Pricewise that option will be cheaper than the Poseidon option and I don't think it would be that much more expensive than your dealer's suggested option.
I may be being unduly suspicious of his suggestion owing more to what he has available than to my suggestion so worth checking what availability he has.It could be that his existing stock limits your immediate options in which case the old adage "Patience is a virtue" is very relevant as in so many situations.
As to the mains there are limits to what you can do with one ground box so I concentrated on cleaning up the audio signal going to the speakers from all your sources and amps.

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
He said that having a single box for each electronic is far superior than having one box with multiple posts.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
He said that having a single box for each electronic is far superior than having one box with multiple posts.
The Poseidon and the Tellus Infinity II each have three separate boxes in one larger box so one of those earthing three separate components will be better than one smaller box grounding two and you could forego the Everest at this stage without any significant problem

Reactions: Frankie67

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
Seems that Poseidon and Tellus are out of production (?)

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
The Entreq site which you can check says that the Poseidon is available to order and the Tellus Infinity II is shown as a current model so unless their website is out of date both are still available.
Thanks Barry. Does the Tellus II have tungsten inside? Also it looks like Left and Right outlets are only entry level? Is there a 3x Olympus?

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
Thanks Barry. Does the Tellus II have tungsten inside? Also it looks like Left and Right outlets are only entry level? Is there a 3x Olympus?
Hi Frankie,

Only the top models or the model name with a T at the end will contain tungsten. When referring to the Entreq model names, you need to be very specific as you may buy the wrong products. Tellus, Tellus II and Tellus II Infinity are THREE different models. The first two have been discontinued and the dealer may sell you their old stocks if you just reference Tellus II.

Also, when you refer to 3x Olympus, there are Olympus Minimus, Olympus Infinity and Olympus Infinity T.

Same as their ground cables. Always refer to their Infinity line, like Infinity Apollo, Infinity Silver etc. Otherwise, you may be getting the old models instead.

Hope this help.

Please check your PM.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
From memory no.
You would need to go up to the Pluton for that which retails at £8k over here. Obviously the top of the range three box groundbox which I have not heard, but Ll21 has posted previously on and very favourably.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Many thanks,
Franco
Hi Frankie67,

First of all, Happy New Year. Second, nice system! Really nice! You've definitely put some time and resources into this. Generally speaking, some observations:

1. In terms of your available space and the individual Entreq boxes, typically the larger boxes simply contain a anywhere from 3, 5 or even 10 of the smaller boxes. So setting aside cost (typically less expensive/box to get 1 bigger one than the same number of individual units)...you might find that you can 'tuck away' individual boxes hooked up to individual pieces of equipment more easily. (Or not...depends on your space...but the smaller boxes can be quite small)

2. In terms of Silver Tellus, Infinity and now Tungsten...I have trialled all 3 generations. I have found 'per pound' the Tungstens have greater impact in our system by far than the Infinity. So much that they were the generation which inspired me to go all out as you can see in the signature...and it has been a remarkable improvement. Would not part with them...the kinds of things I expect to hold onto through subsequent generations of system equipment...not dissimilar to the original Tripoint Troy Signature which has gone through a full system changeover in the last 12+ years but not itself ever been up for change/replacement.

3. If you can spring for Tungsten, it is a more potent, powerful version of what Entreq does so well. I tend to find that it comes in 3 basic stages:
- 20 minutes
- 2-3 hours
- 3 days
- 9 days (super subtle)

4. What it does is somehow: lower noise floor, allow detail to 'float' up out of the noise floor so that choral words become more understandable (my standard litmus test as to whether I am hearing real detail or just imagining it)...but perhaps most importantly, this natural 'floating up' of newfound detail adds dimensionality and naturalness to notes, to musical crescendos, pianissimo, to the end of triangles or upper range of keyboards (often tough to do properly) as well as to the intensity of crescendos on solo violin. When you combine this to include spacial boundaries, voices, inflections in artist interpretations...you get real music. Its a wonder to behold as it evolves in your system from 20 minutes to 2-3 hours.

5. Be careful...unplugging starts that process all over again. Frustrating but true...read enough here and you will find many who woke up to be frustrated with a grain, roughness, artifice in the system...only to find that one of the grounding cables had been disconnected by the vacuum or pet, or whatever...I have done it myself unknowingly (also a good 'blind test')...and it takes you all the back through the settling in time.

Finally, If you can try Tungsten-generation Entreq, I would strongly suggest you start there...and then in terms of components, I would say most find that the amp-thing works well...BUT be careful, some amps are designed NOT to do this...and it can be dangerous if you do so check with the manufacturer of Entreq AND your amp. In our case, we CANNOT connect anything to the amps this way...and it says so in bold on the back because they have specifically designed a grounding post for Tripoint/Entreq, etc.

After the amp-thing (if you can do it), I would say preamp, then source but others have found it the other way around...personally, I always have found benefit...hence why the whole system is essentially hooked up. Hope that helps.

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
Thanks guys. Would it make sense to try with two Olympus Ten Tungsten Infinity with the Eartha Apollo and Everest for each preamp (line and phono) as my dealer suggested?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks guys. Would it make sense to try with two Olympus Ten Tungsten Infinity with the Eartha Apollo and Everest for each preamp (line and phono) as my dealer suggested?
You certainly get 10 connections which is great. At the same time, NOTE: Olympus Ten IS Tungsten but NOT Infinity. You would need to go with:

- Olympus Infinity T (individual so you get multiples of these, 1 for each component or so)
- Olympus Pluton (also both Tungsten and Infinity)...you get 3 Olympus Infinity T modules in 1 box
- Olympus Hero (also both Tungsten and Infinity)...you get 5 Olympus Infinity T modules + a Cleanus

As you can see, I went 2 x Plutons + 1 Olympus Infinity T (so 6 modules in total but no Cleanus)

You CAN double up components onto 1 module with Pluton as each module is quite 'powerful' in its effect.

Personally, if you are up for Pluton...try it...you get 3 of their best-performing grounding modules in 1. If you dont like this, you probably wont like Entreq generally...I do not know anyone who actually dislikes it by the way...the vast majority love it and there are probably a few who either prefer Tripoint its competitor or did not get on with grounding boxes generally.

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
If you read the posts above from LL21, Barry2013 and myself, you will know that we all suggested a better way for you.

Olympus Ten T (not with the name Infinity) is a very good box by itself but there is better approach, especially you said you do NOT have much room to get a ground box for each of your component and like to keep the number of ground boxes to a minimum.

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
You certainly get 10 connections which is great. At the same time, NOTE: Olympus Ten IS Tungsten but NOT Infinity. You would need to go with:
Just to clarify, Olympus Ten T only has ONE ground post, NOT 10. Do not confuse it with the Ten Ten.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing