Entreq Tellus grounding

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks guys. Would it make sense to try with two Olympus Ten Tungsten Infinity with the Eartha Apollo and Everest for each preamp (line and phono) as my dealer suggested?
That would not be my choice.
A single 3 compartment box with three earth cables would be more effective unless it is simply impossible accommodate such a box whi ch would be unusual but may involve a compromise

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
That would not be my choice.
A single 3 compartment box with three earth cables would be more effective unless it is simply impossible accommodate such a box whi ch would be unusual but may involve a compromise

In my case, my Gryphon Pandora preamp has two chassis so, if I choose the single box solution (which I would prefer because of limited space available), I would need at least four posts to accomodate both my mono amps and my preamp. That would in any event leave all sources out.

It looks like two Pluton would probably be the best solution, since I could connect both only my mono amps, my 2-chassis preamp, my phono preamp and my dac. Very expensive, though.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
In my case, my Gryphon Pandora preamp has two chassis so, if I choose the single box solution (which I would prefer because of limited space available), I would need at least four posts to accomodate both my mono amps and my preamp. That would in any event leave all sources out.

It looks like two Pluton would probably be the best solution, since I could connect both only my mono amps, my 2-chassis preamp, my phono preamp and my dac. Very expensive, though.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Thanks Frankie
I wouldn't worry or bother about chassis grounding. That is really all about electrical safety, to stop us getting electrocuted, whereas Entreq is all about signal grounding and removing the EMI/RFI pollution from the small electrical signals that pass the sound from your sources to the amps and on to the speakers. Some people have applied Entreq grounding for chassis grounding purposes but not many and you can safely ignore it.
If you can afford and justify Plutons I am sure that it would be very effective. Ll21 is a long time Entreq user with a good ear and can be relied upon.But as you say it is an expensive option.
If you decide to go down that route your priority should be signal grounding on your amps/sources and negative speaker terminal grounding. That will give you the best improvements to sound quality which is the the reason for going down the Entreq road.
The ground boxes should not be placed on amps/sources and should be placed at least a few inches away from them.
You would need to ensure that you have the right terminations on the ground cables and that they are of the right length. Entreq grounding can involve a degree of compromise between sound quality and aesthetic considerations, but they they don't look bad. Clearly, an individual decision for you.
I hope that is helpful.

Reactions: Frankie67

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
What I meant about chassis is that the Gryphon Pandora preamp is a dual mono unit with two separate chassis (power supply is separated). So I will need to connect both separately.

I have contacted Gryphon asking about Entreq. They've recommended the grounding choice and had great words about Entreq but advised to use only chassis grounding and avoid signal grounding. I then checked this matter with Entreq and they said that there is no problem in connecting Entreq with Gryphon electronics using signal grounding.

Does anyone here have experience of grounding Gryphon electronics with Entreq?

I've decided to start and test two smaller units (Olympus Ten Tungsten Infinity with the Eartha Apollo) and if I like it (as I am sure I will based on the comments here and elsewhere) I will order two Nucles units with the Eartha Apollo cables. If all goes as planned, I am planning to connect the Nucleus to both of my Essence mono amps (separate boxes), the preamps, the dCS dac and my D'Agostino phono stage or the sOTM switch.

Placement would be most probably be behind the speakers on the sides of the rack.

Thanks for all your help so far.

F/

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have grounded my Gryphon Mephisto to the Tripoint Troy Signature years ago...using the grounding post on the back of the amp. It had the same positive effect as it did on the rest of the components...more quiet/lower noise floor, an element of detail floats upwards into the music that was not quite as legible...and that realism comes forth that extra bit. However, the impact was not nearly as great as the signal grounding benefits I got on the DAC and preamp.

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
I have grounded my Gryphon Mephisto to the Tripoint Troy Signature years ago...using the grounding post on the back of the amp. It had the same positive effect as it did on the rest of the components...more quiet/lower noise floor, an element of detail floats upwards into the music that was not quite as legible...and that realism comes forth that extra bit. However, the impact was not nearly as great as the signal grounding benefits I got on the DAC and preamp.
Thanks. Would you also recommend using the grounding post vs. the signal post in the gryphon line?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
What I meant about chassis is that the Gryphon Pandora preamp is a dual mono unit with two separate chassis (power supply is separated). So I will need to connect both separately.

I have contacted Gryphon asking about Entreq. They've recommended the grounding choice and had great words about Entreq but advised to use only chassis grounding and avoid signal grounding. I then checked this matter with Entreq and they said that there is no problem in connecting Entreq with Gryphon electronics using signal grounding.

Does anyone here have experience of grounding Gryphon electronics with Entreq?

I've decided to start and test two smaller units (Olympus Ten Tungsten Infinity with the Eartha Apollo) and if I like it (as I am sure I will based on the comments here and elsewhere) I will order two Nucles units with the Eartha Apollo cables. If all goes as planned, I am planning to connect the Nucleus to both of my Essence mono amps (separate boxes), the preamps, the dCS dac and my D'Agostino phono stage or the sOTM switch.

Placement would be most probably be behind the speakers on the sides of the rack.

Thanks for all your help so far
Thank you Frankie.
It's good to know you are now moving forward and it makes sense to try before you buy, but I am sure you will be pleased with the results and do let us know how it goes.
Ll21 as already responded to your question on Gryphon which is a manufacturer I have no experience of. I do,however, remember that in the very early days of negative speaker terminal grounding there was some initial uncertainty about that being used on DarTzeel amps, but very soon afterwards they got the all clear after Entreq's Far Eastern distributor tried it on their Dar amps and encountered no problems whatsoever.
I am sure the same has happened with Gryphon and that Entreq's approval can be safely relied upon.
Placing the groundboxes behind your speakers should worlk fine.
Will look forward to hearing from you once you are up and running

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks. Would you also recommend using the grounding post vs. the signal post in the gryphon line?
Hi Frankie,

On the amp, use the built-in grounding post if there is one (there was on the Mephisto). I would NOT use the negative speaker terminals unless you get a written all-clear from Gryphon. As for the preamp, I did not have a Gryphon preamp, but since signal grounding simply means hooking up a grounding cable (usually RCA or XLR terminated) to one of the unused terminals on the back of the preamp, that should be fine...and you will determine for yourself if you like it.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the optimal connections on the grounding box do NOT cross signal and chassis ground as I recall.

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
Has anyone compared the Ten Ten vs (two) Pluton?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have not thought I asked the distributor about the 2, and he strongly recommended in our system to go Pluton (ie, with Tungsten and Infinity)...and frankly, we went 2 Pluton + 1 Olympus Infinity Tungsten (so effectively 7 of those boxes in total)...and have been exceptionally pleased. Exceptionally. If you can, go with their best technology to start.

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
Thanks Lloyd. I thought that both Pluton and Ten Ten were latest tech, Infinity and Tungsten only on a smaller box (?).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd. I thought that both Pluton and Ten Ten were latest tech, Infinity and Tungsten only on a smaller box (?).
Hi...confusing I know. There is Tungsten (latest tech) and there is Infinity (preceding tech but still relevant).

The Pluton and Hero have BOTH Tungsten and Infinity. I believe Ten has 'just' Tungsten. Cut and paste below from Entreq website.

Olympus Infinity T.​

Olympus Infinity T.
Olympus Tungsten has an Aura of confidence. The improved Infinity technology, the adjusted mineral mix, the special ceramic and Tungsten metals, and the new improved casework. All together gives Olympus Infi T a aura of solid trust and confidence. When you look at and handle this ground boxes, they tell you
“ Leave it with me, I handle it”

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
Hi...confusing I know. There is Tungsten (latest tech) and there is Infinity (preceding tech but still relevant).

The Pluton and Hero have BOTH Tungsten and Infinity. I believe Ten has 'just' Tungsten. Cut and paste below from Entreq website.

Olympus Infinity T.​

Olympus Infinity T.
Olympus Tungsten has an Aura of confidence. The improved Infinity technology, the adjusted mineral mix, the special ceramic and Tungsten metals, and the new improved casework. All together gives Olympus Infi T a aura of solid trust and confidence. When you look at and handle this ground boxes, they tell you
“ Leave it with me, I handle it”
Please look at the picture of the Olympus Ten T, the logo has the symbol of the Infinity. So it has the "Infinity" technology as well.

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
Both Ten Ten and Pluton are excellent products just below the Hero.

Ten Ten contains 10 individual Olympus Ten T in a "vibration-damped box" and a integrated Cleanus. You can easily connect 20 components to its 10 ground posts. Even if you use two of the 10 ground posts for negative speakers posts grounding, you can still connect 16 components to the remaining 8 ground posts.

On the other hand, two Pluton can connect with similar number of components but are much more expansive than a Ten Ten and take up twice the space.

Even though the Ten Ten is only using the second best ground boxes, the vibration-damped box and the integrated Cleanus really push the Ten Ten to a new level and closing the gap between TWO Pluton and a Ten Ten. If you can't utilize all 10 ground posts, you can bridge two ground posts together to boost up the power. You can also use the money you save to get a combination of TEN Peak 4/Everest knobs.

I am sure a Ten Ten with TEN peak 4/Everest knobs will out perform two bare Pluton and still be cheaper.

Everyone's situation is different and only you can make the decision on what is best for you.

vert

Oct 26, 2015
The dealer's suggestion is certainly an option and I certainly agree with his suggestion of Apollo earth cables. The Apollo range is the sweet spot of the Entreq range.

I have both apollo and argo, and I really like argo. Though it's not as transparent as apollo, it's warmer and more musically engaging.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Please look at the picture of the Olympus Ten T, the logo has the symbol of the Infinity. So it has the "Infinity" technology as well.
Good point! Thanks for the clarification.

belancer

Sep 16, 2020
So,for example a Poseidon ground box and three earth cables. You can the connect the earth cables to the two separate negative output terminals of your mono amps and the third to a spare input on the Pandora pre amp.The resultant grounding is then tackling the signal pollution in the audio signals going to your pre amp and the negative speaker terminal grounding is both reinforcing that and addressing the EMI produced by the Essence mono power amps.
Hi Barry,
I currently connect 3 earth cables from my Poseidon to 2 separate negative output of my Octave power amp and to a spare output RCA on my preamp with very good result. From your above guidance, the earth cable should be connected to input RCA, so am I wrong to connect to output RCA? Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
BTW, I'm thinking of more Entreq box for my Dac and music server. For Dac (USB input used), should I connect Entreq to the RCA input (Spdif) or RCA output (either left or right analog). My dac has a chassis ground terminal as well.

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
The reason to use INPUT is because there are a lot more input connectors than output connectors on a pre.

I believe all the ground connections of all the input/output connectors are linked together on the circuit board.

Reactions: belancer

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry,
I currently connect 3 earth cables from my Poseidon to 2 separate negative output of my Octave power amp and to a spare output RCA on my preamp with very good result. From your above guidance, the earth cable should be connected to input RCA, so am I wrong to connect to output RCA? Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
BTW, I'm thinking of more Entreq box for my Dac and music server. For Dac (USB input used), should I connect Entreq to the RCA input (Spdif) or RCA output (either left or right analog). My dac has a chassis ground terminal as well.
Hi there,
Good to hear that the negative speaker terminal grounding with your Poseidon is working its magic on your system. It has been a very successful upgrade to my system.
As to the earth cable connection to your amp, I have always been advised by Entreq to connect it to a negative input trerminal and have followed that advice. I suggest you try that and decide whether that works better. My advice would be the same for a further Entreq box for your DAC. The Olympus 10 would be a very good choice for that role,.
Do keep us informed. It does help us all to get the best out of our Entreq buys.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing