Entreq Tellus grounding

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Infinity Triton ground cable is a powerful cable that replaced the Infinity Atlantis. I replaced the Infinity Apollo ground cables with the Infinity Triton at the power conditioner, the improvement is huge in all area. I really doubt if I need another one to replace my other Infinity Apollo.

I am the first one in this world to request for a Infinity Triton ground cable with fixed hook connector. I asked Entreq about this and they said they have not made one like that. That said the cable with fixed connector will sound "different". Since then, they added the fixed connector back as an option when you order their ground cable. You can do your own interpretation of what that mean.

I will pick sound quality over flexibility any time.
May I inquire what method you used to ground your power conditioner? By the chassis? What connector did you use?

I'm looking to ground mine and not fully sure best method to use.

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
I used the hook to hook Triton to connect to one of the chassis screws of my power conditioner. You can use a multimeter to make sure that screw is connected to the ground pin of the IEC inlet of your power conditioner. Usually any chassis screws are connected like that but you may want to make sure.

A while back, Entreq did offer a ground cable with a AC plug having a ground pin only for that purpose but they may have dropped this option because of poor demand. The photo shown the one that I am still using.

By the way, I try to use a second Triton in my system and didn't sound as good with just one Triton.

Have fun.

Attachments

• Entreq_Apollo_Ground_002.JPG
    Entreq_Apollo_Ground_002.JPG
    841.6 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: HK Panda

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
I used the hook to hook Triton to connect to one of the chassis screws of my power conditioner. You can use a multimeter to make sure that screw is connected to the ground pin of the IEC inlet of your power conditioner. Usually any chassis screws are connected like that but you may want to make sure.

A while back, Entreq did offer a ground cable with a AC plug having a ground pin only for that purpose but they may have dropped this option because of poor demand. The photo shown the one that I am still using.

By the way, I try to use a second Triton in my system and didn't sound as good with just one Triton.

Have fun.
I have a multimeter but unsure how to check the screw. Can you describe? I'm guessing a continuity test?

What sonic changes did you notice after grounding?

Last edited:

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
Yes, do the continuity test, some multimeter came with a beep tone with this test.

Grounding the power conditioner is just to provide one more path to drain the ground to the Entreq ground box with all your components powered from it. So ALL your components will benefit from this extra move. That's why I use the best ground cable I can afford at this location.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK

Have fun.
The Shanghai distributor has only the Silver-H power plug Entreq ground cable in stock, so at least they have something to try. I will try to get those here to try out. I have two power conditioners here, one in music room, and one in the music server room. The music server room power conditioner is unused right now because I could not get it to sound good, so perhaps it was because of this reason. It was detailed, but there was no life in the music when I used it, so I knew something is off.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Which ground box are you using?
Yes I agree dts-99.
I also use my best power cable, an Entreq Atlantis Infinity, to connect my power block to the mains for the same reaso

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
For that application I am using an Olympus Tellus with the mains ground cable.
What do you think, should the power conditioner ground be dedicated, or can the ground be shared with the same ground box being used for a signal ground?

The Olympus Tellus seems unique that it has a solid copper binding post for the mains grounding. I'm curious what makes this special? Why is copper better for mains grounding than silver? Must be reason, but I don't see that talked about.

So if I do this mains grounding, with a silver binding post on one of my entreq boxes, what am I missing?

My dealer suggest the best route would be just to plus a CleanUS into the power conditioner.

Brave Browser Clipping (3?24?17 PM).jpg

Last edited:

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Hi everyone

I'm looking for a little advice after recently dipping my toes into the Entreq water.....I have a really good dealer, but I don't want to be bothering all the time.

1. I started off just trying a Primer Pro power cable on my power conditioner - very impressed.

2. Got my hands on a Cleanus - wow.

3. Then an Olympus 10 (with K2), I connected my server and USB/SPDIF converter to this via Eartha's - wow.

4. My dealer sent over a Silver Tellus last week to try on my Boulder pre/DAC, connected it (only the Boulder, all other connections to the ST unused) up to one of the analogue inputs (outputs are all being used) - rubbish. The sound took a major step backwards, the sound was overly inflated, particularly with over blown bass, also dynamics were compressed. So I changed the input from the Pre-amp section to the DAC section and order was restored, but there was very little difference not having the ST in the chain and the Pre/DAC not being grounded at all.

The plan was to just try these 2nd hand units to see if I liked what Entreq could do, and I provisionally set aside 2 x Poseidon's to do the whole system, rather than lots of boxes everywhere.

My first questions is; has anyone found similar results i.e. some form of over-grounding? In that the ST might be just too much for my Pre/DAC? Or has anyone found that certain pieces/brands just don't benefit?
Or, are the newer products (like the Ten as opposed to the ST) just way more impressive?
Finally, how much difference does the K2 make? Is it possible that it is this that s making the difference between the Ten (with) and the ST (without)?

Thanks for any help in advance, A/B comparisons take an age by the time you change over and then let it settle for 24/48 hours...
Hey

Just curious , did you plus the cleanus into your power conditioner or into your wall socket?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
What do you think, should the power conditioner ground be dedicated, or can the ground be shared with the same ground box being used for a signal ground?

The Olympus Tellus seems unique that it has a solid copper binding post for the mains grounding. I'm curious what makes this special? Why is copper better for mains grounding than silver? Must be reason, but I don't see that talked about.

So if I do this mains grounding, with a silver binding post on one of my entreq boxes, what am I missing?

My dealer suggest the best route would be just to plus a CleanUS into the power conditioner.

View attachment 97920

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks.
I am sure a dedicated ground box, or one with separate compartments, for your power conditioner would be the most cost effective approach.
I am not sure that copper or silver makes any real difference. It may well be that copper is used on the Olympus because it is cheaper and that silver would make no discernible improvement. Like you I don't recall any specific discussion on that point.By the same token if you have a silver grounding cable I am sure that that would work very well.
I have no personal experience of the Cleanus so I can't really comment on your dealer's suggestion. I see no reason to differ from his view other than that it may be a more costly route than a dedicated ground box with no great advantages unless it helps with other components.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

View attachment 97920
Multiple signal or chassis grounds can be fed into a single cable/connection, but the two types should be kept separate.

Photos FYI - power conditioner and Modwright power supply chassis grounds connected (with Russ Andrews grounding cables and connectors) to one Puritan Audio Labs Groundmaster City device, and amp and player signal grounds connected to a 2nd one. For me it made a big enough difference that I will not bother with the much more expensive (e.g., Entreq, Nordost, Telos) grounding boxes. Note that the Groundmaster City devices are inexpensive enough that you could buy a couple to experiment with and figure out how grounding boxes would be best used in your system before adding an Entreq box.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3090.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3090.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2618-1.jpg
    IMG_2618-1.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 14

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Thanks.
I am sure a dedicated ground box, or one with separate compartments, for your power conditioner would be the most cost effective approach.
I am not sure that copper or silver makes any real difference. It may well be that copper is used on the Olympus because it is cheaper and that silver would make no discernible improvement. Like you I don't recall any specific discussion on that point.By the same token if you have a silver grounding cable I am sure that that would work very well.
I have no personal experience of the Cleanus so I can't really comment on your dealer's suggestion. I see no reason to differ from his view other than that it may be a more costly route than a dedicated ground box with no great advantages unless it helps with other components.
Attempting to cost justify getting a CleanUS in here. Got a Entreq Silver Infinity H-power plug and connected it to two of the large size Chinese ground boxes I have. Initial results were positive, a general calmness in the presentation, more emotion, more detail, and a better sense of interplay between instruments. Need more listening time to confirm it, but assuming the CleanUS is better than this test setup, I think it's a worthy upgrade.

Preview Clipping (6?16?54 PM).jpg Preview Clipping (6?16?36 PM).jpg

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
For the Olympus Tellus, Entreq never disclosed how large is that compartment or the mineral mixtures for the AC receptacle (or the main). When I was using the Olympus Tellus, I did the testing and confirmed that even the small Silver Minimus or the Olympus Ten performed much better than that grounding post for the AC receptacle. However, that compartment did wonder when using with the Entreq Receivus on top of the Olympus Tellus!!!

If you can squeeze out one separate compartment from your Pluton and use that with your power conditioner, that will be the most economical way to do it. Or buy a Olympus Infinity / Olympus Infinity T for that purpose. I think it is a waste of money to buy the Silver Cleanus. Mind you that You need a ground wire to connect the Silver Cleanus to a Entreq ground box to work its best, i.e. you need a separate grounding compartment either way!!!

That's why I always say the Hero is a bargain and you never have enough of these Entreq boxes.

Attachments

• Entreq_Receivus_03.JPG
    Entreq_Receivus_03.JPG
    902 KB · Views: 9

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...That's why I always say the Hero is a bargain and you never have enough of these Entreq boxes.
We thought about the Hero -- 5 separate units plus the plug-in module unit (ie, plugs into socket). We were told the Pluton's units (of which there are 3) are the same as Hero's units...so we went with 2 Plutons instead to have 6 units (no plug ins). Roughly same price as Hero.

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
We thought about the Hero -- 5 separate units plus the plug-in module unit (ie, plugs into socket). We were told the Pluton's units (of which there are 3) are the same as Hero's units...so we went with 2 Plutons instead to have 6 units (no plug ins). Roughly same price as Hero.
Other than the included Cleanus in the Hero, the other feature is: The five Olympus Infinity T in a Hero are enclosed in a vibration-damped Oak box made of the same three-layer material that we use for the Athena rack and Magma feets.

For more info: Athena is constructed for handle mechanical energy’s as well as electromagnetic energies.
In every aspect Athena are constructed for handle all kind of vibrations, radio waves, magnetic fields and energies that have influence on your electronics and in the end the sound.

Also, the Entreq boxes are greatly benefit from using good footers and solid platform. Using the Entreq Magma Infinity T as an example, that is US$2000 for a set of four for EACH ground box. So getting more individual ground compartments in a single large cabinet will save you a lot of money in the end.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Other than the included Cleanus in the Hero, the other feature is: The five Olympus Infinity T in a Hero are enclosed in a vibration-damped Oak box made of the same three-layer material that we use for the Athena rack and Magma feets.

For more info: Athena is constructed for handle mechanical energy’s as well as electromagnetic energies.
In every aspect Athena are constructed for handle all kind of vibrations, radio waves, magnetic fields and energies that have influence on your electronics and in the end the sound.

Also, the Entreq boxes are greatly benefit from using good footers and solid platform. Using the Entreq Magma Infinity T as an example, that is US$2000 for a set of four for EACH ground box. So getting more individual ground compartments in a single large cabinet will save you a lot of money in the end.
Yes I have the Athena racks and agree that they benefit the ground boxes as well as the sources.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK

Have fun.
Something I discovered today with the Entreq H-Power cable. The plug that fits inside the ground hole can be rotated. Rotating this will change the ground and the ground polarity. So if you are using one, you need to be careful how it it turned. I have a ground and polarity test lights on my socket, and seen the polarity change on the line.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Good to know...thanks. Does that mean the Pluton does NOT have this particular 3-layer material that the Hero does?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing