Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne loudspeakers

I have close to 100 hrs on mine and they have opened up a lot since around 25 hrs.
This buy has been one of my better ones in audio.

Got some StarSound micro fill coming to load up the stem in the stands and spiking the bottom with Audio Points and Equarack speaker Footers. The only thing I see wrong going on is in the stand design. May have Starsound custom build some stands to get further SQ out of them. Who knows maybe these stands are the best in the world for these speakers.

Well, after 2 weeks of usage I feel there must be something wrong with my electronics, the mmMicroOnes just don't like rock and roll, or there is no synergy with my gear.

In playing simpler passages (vocals, low intrument count, more intimate music), these sound fantastic. I feel they still need to open up a bit more but the sound is wonderful. So after listening to these type of music for a while, I popped in some content where there are probably more tracks in the mixes, and the sound comes out a bit thin, mashed together, and boxed up. Of course, it may be the recordings themselves but these are the ones I tried so far (Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road [SHM-SACD], Dire Straits - Love Over Gold [SHM-SACD], The Rolling Stones - Tatoo You [SHM-SACD], Fleetwood Mac - Rumors [SHM-SACD], The Eagles - Hotel California [SHM-SACD]). These were all played using the Oppo BDP-95's internal DAC and XLR out. It was a bit better (sounded fuller) when I switched to HDMI out and the Classe's DAC and speakers set to small with a sub. I still prefer the other speakers' sound.

Unless these need major break-in, I'm really torn. I love how they sound with the quieter pieces but I just cannot get them to sound right with the other discs. Unfortunately, I'm not able to try other gear to see if it makes any difference.

Oh well.

-Hedwig

Hedwig-What electronics are you driving the speakers with?

H Hog,

Have Supertramp Crime/Brother/Breckfast on SHM and the speakers respond like they were made for the music. This is without a sub. ASR amp may be the reason why.

N

H Hog,

Have Supertramp Crime/Brother/Breckfast on SHM and the speakers respond like they were made for the music. This is without a sub. ASR amp may be the reason why.

N

Could be...I'm not in the same rank as those equipment...wish I could have a Dart one day. Having said that, the good sounding discs are really good. (Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests [SHM-SACD], Best Audiophile Voices - any volume [24-bit redbook], Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live [redbook], Ella and Louis [SHM-SACD])

Hedwig-What electronics are you driving the speakers with?

Source: Oppo BDP-95
Pre/Pro: Classe Audio SSP-800
Amp: Classe Audio CA-M400
Sub: JL Fathom F113
Power is dedicated 240V with a RGPC Substation 240 connected to the 3 amps (also a CA-5200) and the last connector to a RGPC Custom 1200 where everything else except the sub is plugged. Sub on its own 120V line.
Power cables: LessLoss DFPC orginal.
XLR cables: White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero (silver)
Speaker cables: Clear Day Double Shotgun (silver)
HDMI: Audioquest Pearl

The same recording sounds pretty good on the B&W 802Di.

I have some sound treament (Primacoustic MaxTrap in the corners), RPG BAD Panels on ceiling, BPG Variscreen on 1st reflection point.

-Hedwig

Well, after 2 weeks of usage I feel there must be something wrong with my electronics, the mmMicroOnes just don't like rock and roll, or there is no synergy with my gear.

In playing simpler passages (vocals, low intrument count, more intimate music), these sound fantastic. I feel they still need to open up a bit more but the sound is wonderful. So after listening to these type of music for a while, I popped in some content where there are probably more tracks in the mixes, and the sound comes out a bit thin, mashed together, and boxed up. Of course, it may be the recordings themselves but these are the ones I tried so far (Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road [SHM-SACD], Dire Straits - Love Over Gold [SHM-SACD], The Rolling Stones - Tatoo You [SHM-SACD], Fleetwood Mac - Rumors [SHM-SACD], The Eagles - Hotel California [SHM-SACD]). These were all played using the Oppo BDP-95's internal DAC and XLR out. It was a bit better (sounded fuller) when I switched to HDMI out and the Classe's DAC and speakers set to small with a sub. I still prefer the other speakers' sound.

Unless these need major break-in, I'm really torn. I love how they sound with the quieter pieces but I just cannot get them to sound right with the other discs. Unfortunately, I'm not able to try other gear to see if it makes any difference.

Oh well.

-Hedwig

Hi Hedwig..... I'm sorry if you've mentioned this in one of your previous posts but try the speakers without the grills to see if you like that better.....

Hi Hedwig..... I'm sorry if you've mentioned this in one of your previous posts but try the speakers without the grills to see if you like that better.....

Hedwig..... I took a few minutes to go through previous posts and found the link to HTGuide Forum that showed pics of your setup. Very nice btw!

I know that pictures sometimes don't tell the entire story but based on the system pics I'm wondering if you placed the speakers in the environment based on the instructions provided in the manual. Using my experiences with these fine speakers they really do sing if you could shoot for an equilateral triangle with the correct amount of toe-in. I understand that every room is different and achieving the triangle can be a bit difficult but after a few attempts to try different speaker locations the triangle worked best for me.

Also..... having a laser distance measurer makes the placement job so much easier along with dialing in the toe..... Here's my tool of choice

DLR130K Laser Distance Measurer by Bosch Got mine at Home Despot. This really helped with the achieving the exact speaker distance from side wall and also speaker to my listening position.

Hope this info helps!

Hedwig..... I took a few minutes to go through previous posts and found the link to HTGuide Forum that showed pics of your setup. Very nice btw!

I know that pictures sometimes don't tell the entire story but based on the system pics I'm wondering if you placed the speakers in the environment based on the instructions provided in the manual. Using my experiences with these fine speakers they really do sing if you could shoot for an equilateral triangle with the correct amount of toe-in. I understand that every room is different and achieving the triangle can be a bit difficult but after a few attempts to try different speaker locations the triangle worked best for me.

-------snipped-----8<----------

Hope this info helps!

Thx for the compliment and suggestion...tbh, I didn't bother recalculating for the position as I did with the 802Di (I used the Cardas prime division thingie for that). The next calculated position would either be where my current speakers are or another 13" out into my room! I'll be the first to admit that a family room is not ideal (especially mine) but I don't have another dedicated space for them. Besides, the 802Di rig sounds OK in that room. I've moved around the space to get a sense if it sounded better one place or another but no luck.

I'll try a calculated location to see if nulls or peaks are causing this issue...but as I mentioned (and even the lousy Y**tube vids show), the Nils Lofgren and Livingston Taylor tracks sounded pretty good in the current spot. Just amplified music sounds horrible.

Oh, I did try the grill covers off...sounded a bit brighter but didn't change all that much to me otherwise.

BTW, how much toe-in are owners pointing their speakers. I noticed in a lot of show pictures, Jonathan toes them in quite a bit. My current imaging is dead centered so I never bother with toeing them in.

Thx!

-Hedwig

I don't know anything about these speakers other than what I have read, but "the mashed together sound" could be that the drivers are becoming non linear if driven too loud, as that is not at all uncommon for small speakers. Have you tried listening at lower levels to see if you get the same results?

Thx for the compliment and suggestion...tbh, I didn't bother recalculating for the position as I did with the 802Di (I used the Cardas prime division thingie for that). The next calculated position would either be where my current speakers are or another 13" out into my room! I'll be the first to admit that a family room is not ideal (especially mine) but I don't have another dedicated space for them. Besides, the 802Di rig sounds OK in that room. I've moved around the space to get a sense if it sounded better one place or another but no luck.

I'll try a calculated location to see if nulls or peaks are causing this issue...but as I mentioned (and even the lousy Y**tube vids show), the Nils Lofgren and Livingston Taylor tracks sounded pretty good in the current spot. Just amplified music sounds horrible.

Oh, I did try the grill covers off...sounded a bit brighter but didn't change all that much to me otherwise.

BTW, how much toe-in are owners pointing their speakers. I noticed in a lot of show pictures, Jonathan toes them in quite a bit. My current imaging is dead centered so I never bother with toeing them in.

Thx!

-Hedwig

Hedwig.... you are correct, the Y*)tube video clips do sound very nice all things considered. I have the speakers toed so that the laser hits my chair where my shoulders would be. This has offered me a very focused center along with a wide soundstage. Give it a shot to see.

I have my Micro's placed just inside the MM2's so I don't have the most optimum setup but I have to say they sound fantastic! I have been tempted to move the MM2's aside and place the Micro's where the MM2's reside. Might try it one day but in the mean time I am enjoying how they sound.

I don't know anything about these speakers other than what I have read, but "the mashed together sound" could be that the drivers are becoming non linear if driven too loud, as that is not at all uncommon for small speakers. Have you tried listening at lower levels to see if you get the same results?

I don't think it was driven that loud....a quick read on the cheapo Radio Shack SPL meter indicated 69-75dB where I sat. I did turn it down a bit but it sounded like background music.

Hedwig.... you are correct, the Y*)tube video clips do sound very nice all things considered. I have the speakers toed so that the laser hits my chair where my shoulders would be. This has offered me a very focused center along with a wide soundstage. Give it a shot to see.

I have my Micro's placed just inside the MM2's so I don't have the most optimum setup but I have to say they sound fantastic! I have been tempted to move the MM2's aside and place the Micro's where the MM2's reside. Might try it one day but in the mean time I am enjoying how they sound.

Wow, Eddie...that is kinda gorgeous! Your TT is more than my whole system...lol...or is it sighhhhh. I need a bumper stick on my amp that says "When I grow up, I want to be a Dartzeel."

Anyway, back to more of MHO. I am more perplexed and confused by these mighty mites each time I listen. Toeing them in makes no difference tonally and the image remained dead center. I think it sounded more narrow that before. Tried the same SHM-SACD Rolling Stones - Tatoo You and, again, it sounded like MP3. My other listens were:

Adele - 21 (redbook): Louder songs like Rolling in the Deep was nowhere as good as the more intimate Someone Like You. Her vocals on latter really stood out with the piano accompanying in the back nicely.

Carpenter's - Singles (SACD): I recently got this and it sounded really good on the 802Di (and even in the car). But again, it was hit and miss with the mmMicroOne. Karen's mid-rangey voice is superb with these speakers but on songs with more instruments overlayed, it sounded like TMI.

Rolling Stones - Rewind (redbook): Just played couple of songs...Beast of Burden and Angie. Again, Angie sounded better, more intimate. I've been trying to learn these two songs (not too successful) and I can kind of compare it to how it's sounding from my guitar amp and acoustic, respectively. It was ok.

Hugh Masekela - Hope (SACD): Stimela sounded good but seems boxed in and recessed. Didn't exhibit the same big open dynamics as before.

Janos Starker - Bach Cello Suite (redbook): Good but the cello didn't have that bottom end I had expected.

Colin Stetson - New History Warfare, Vol 2 (redbook): This one surprised me. It sounded good on the 802Di but it really captured the performance and instrument with the mmMicroOnes. You can hear Colin's multi-faceted playing...really cool.

So here I am, stumped again. Maybe it's the room or the plasma TV in the front wall affecting sound. I don't know. Gonna try two discs that Jonathan used in those Y**tube demos (Stanley Turrentine - More than a Mood and Steely Dan - Gaucho) and see how close it comes.

Sorry for the longwindedness.

Cheers,
-H

I have the speakers now for about 4 months with maybe about 70 hours of break-in. They have defintely improved over this time. Less boxy sounding, the highs have mellowed but still retain their pristine clarity and the bass has become fuller. they are a very dynamic, high resolution and coherent speaker. I agree that from the mid-bass up they compete with just about anything on the market save for maybe the MBL speakers. They truly are a state of the art speaker. Period.

Improvements in upstream components would not be wasted on this speaker. They are an accurate "transducer" .

Highly recommended, especially at the price point. Buyers will not be dissapointed.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

May I inquire what gear you're running with the mmMicroOnes?

For the record, I still struggle with the sound of these speakers with my Classe so just for kicks, I picked up a Pathos Classic One Mk III hybrid. This totally changed the sound for the better. Weird. The Classe was a very clean and detailed combo but it just left me lifeless. Like a very good photo or video but you knew it was just a replica. The tube/ss hybrid amp really make things more 3D. The brush on the snare and the cymbals portrayed more depth and one can even picture the thickness of the cymbals.

I guess equipment synergy plays a huge role into this. I played these in the same space as my other existing gear. On a side note: Now that this clarified one picture, I plugged everything back in to the Classe/B&W combo....wow, it's better than I could remember. Both system have their own excellent sound...bonus.

Anyway, conclusion: EA mmMicroOne = a winner (but needs careful matching with gear). Really wished I could hear what these sound like with a Dartzeel CTH-8550. ;)

Hi Andrew,

May I inquire what gear you're running with the mmMicroOnes?

For the record, I still struggle with the sound of these speakers with my Classe so just for kicks, I picked up a Pathos Classic One Mk III hybrid. This totally changed the sound for the better. Weird. The Classe was a very clean and detailed combo but it just left me lifeless. Like a very good photo or video but you knew it was just a replica. The tube/ss hybrid amp really make things more 3D. The brush on the snare and the cymbals portrayed more depth and one can even picture the thickness of the cymbals.

I guess equipment synergy plays a huge role into this. I played these in the same space as my other existing gear. On a side note: Now that this clarified one picture, I plugged everything back in to the Classe/B&W combo....wow, it's better than I could remember. Both system have their own excellent sound...bonus.

Anyway, conclusion: EA mmMicroOne = a winner (but needs careful matching with gear). Really wished I could hear what these sound like with a Dartzeel CTH-8550. ;)

Hello HedgeHog,

The MM-1's are part of my "small system" as I'm living in a smaller apartment temporarily; my main system back home in the US is on my system page. I use the Exposere 2010S2 integrated amp (75W) with my TW Acustic Raven AC / Triplanar-7 / Transfiguration Orpheus (original version) combo. It is only a 75W SS but it is a special integrated. While I haven't tried them with any other gear I'm mightly surprised and happy with how well it sounds. I think this speaker is very transparent. What you didn't like about the combo with the Clase likely had to do with you actually "hearing" what the classe sounds like. I have never heard one so it may simply be something else. The fact that you like it better says something about the speaker (that it is able to discern changes in upstream gear quite clearly) and that you seem to prefer the Pathos unit.

When I get back I'll try them with my CAT gear. I should be in for a big surprise.

Comapring the MMM-1 to the B&W 802Di must be interesting. The 802 is much more full range, and maybe that is what of the biggest differences you hear between the combo's. However, I bet the MMM-1 are more transparent and dynamic in the mids/highs. Would be interesting to try the Pathos on the 802's, but I do know the 802 likes a lot of poerr so while you may imporve in some areas you may lose in some others.

Also, things do improve with break-in.

I'm a full-range-speaker kind of guy but I'm very surprised at how well the MMM-1 do overall and from the mid-bass on up they are one of the state-of-the-art out there.

Andrew

So this is my first post here, and it's probably because this is the most active thread on the internet for the MMMicroOnes. Having discovered these speakers randomly on another forum, briefly mentioned, i started doing some research. And i think i ended up reading almost everything written about them on the internet, including this thread.

I have recently moved and now have the chance to get a decent speaker rig going, so i will be selling all of my headphone gear to fund the purchase. My space is still pretty small, which is why I am looking at stand mount monitor style speakers becuase my closer-to-near-field listening will do best with them i believe.

But i finally got to listen to the MMMicroOnes on thursday. I called Jonathan looking for a dealer in my area, and told me he had a good friend in the cleveland area that had the MicroOnes and the MM3s and i could head up there and listen. So i went up there and we listened for something like 8 hours and i was very impressed with the speakers, they did dynamics and soundstaging like i probably havent heard in a speaker.

My only reservation is that there are several other incredibly highly regarded speakers in this price range, and i will almost certainly never be able to compare them back to back. The other speakers I have been considering are the Salk Songtower RTs or theres two in the Fritz Sound line, the Rev 7 or the Excel 7. I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight to a comparison between those listed and the MMMicroOnes?

Thanks ahead of time!

Soup,

After hearing them and liking why beat yourself down thinking about all the another babes out there? For the $$$ they will be hard to beat. Pull out the CC and let it rip and pay later as the US does.

Because so many people also say also things about the Fritz Speakers too :p and i would never know unless i heard them as well.

Secondary question, since i am leaning most towards the MicroOnes, what amp in the sub 2k dollar range would you guys reccomend for them? I was thinking maybe a pair of Odyssey Khartago Monoblocks or and Audio-GD(they are a hugely popular high value company on head-fi) Master 3 amp. I had also kind of considered some of the emotiva amps, but not very seriously. Though since my space is small i wouldnt be opposed to a tube amp either.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing