FM Acoustics amps

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

FMA amps with the big €320,000 Kharma Exquisite Grand Extreme speakers.

Thanks, Wizard. Are those 1811s? Have you heard the big Kharma Xtremes? Any thoughts about how they compare to big Rockport, Wilsons, Tidals, etc?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Please someone take that plastic sh*t off. Or does it hold the equipment together??

djanggo

Aug 7, 2011
Please someone take that plastic sh*t off. Or does it hold the equipment together??

Owners mostly get that privilege, not shops or dealers. Like when acquiring Patek timepieces, most buyers would usually prefer double-sealed items.

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
A 711II FS at Agon at a very low price - http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-fm-acoustics-711-mkii-2013-06-12-amplifiers-95620

The new price is $70000 - 711II was released in 2008 - it sells normally used for around $45-50000 - so this must be a scam.
But this could be a renamed older 711 from 1997.

Sweet deal! I'm interested if as spec'd ~ a genuine 9/10 condition FMA 711mkII from '08+. Few images of actual unit would help. What's quirky though is selling off from CA a 230v unit? Also, what 'remote control' for 711mkII? If seller could clarify here and proved to be a clean deal, I'll bite. My gut too says most likely a scam.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sweet deal! I'm interested if as spec'd ~ a genuine 9/10 condition FMA 711mkII from '08+. Few images of actual unit would help. What's quirky though is selling off from CA a 230v unit? Also, what 'remote control' for 711mkII? If seller could clarify here and proved to be a clean deal, I'll bite. My gut too says most likely a scam.

i'd ask for the serial number (including a picture of it), then contact the factory to verify the build date and model. then contact the distributor in Colorado Springs and see if they can switch it to 115v and how much.

Dave_A

Feb 25, 2013
lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.com
A 711II FS at Agon at a very low price - http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-fm-acoustics-711-mkii-2013-06-12-amplifiers-95620

The new price is $70000 - 711II was released in 2008 - it sells normally used for around $45-50000 - so this must be a scam.

I see. Well, as Mike said get the serial #, clear and accurate photos, and someone reputable to change the voltage. Either Colorado Springs or the FM factory in Switzerland.

Better yet is to hop a plane and see this amp in person, and possibly audition it. At this kind of money I don't see why not. You know?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I see. Well, as Mike said get the serial #, clear and accurate photos, and someone reputable to change the voltage. Either Colorado Springs or the FM factory in Switzerland.

Better yet is to hop a plane and see this amp in person, and possibly audition it. At this kind of money I don't see why not. You know?

If someone is serious, either bring an engineer to check it out in person...or perhaps pay for the equipment to be shipped to FMA. If it is real and in good shape, buy it. If it is not, the seller can pay for it to be shipped back. For a few hundred bucks, that's good insurance.

Dave_A

Feb 25, 2013
If someone is serious, either bring an engineer to check it out in person...or perhaps pay for the equipment to be shipped to FMA. If it is real and in good shape, buy it. If it is not, the seller can pay for it to be shipped back. For a few hundred bucks, that's good insurance.

I agree with you. I never thought of that! Great idea!

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
i'd ask for the serial number (including a picture of it), then contact the factory to verify the build date and model. then contact the distributor in Colorado Springs and see if they can switch it to 115v and how much.

Thanks Mike..
The 230v is perfect for me actually (in Asia). Just find it a bit strange as usually units with such voltage setting would be shipping out from Asia or Europe, rarely CA.
And also its price.. :rolleyes:
Have asked for serial no.and photos but no response as yet. If seller happens to read this, do chime in and verify here under light instead. Admittedly this is my first time, have been buying only locally through dealer/importer for the last thirty or so years, hence all these caution and nervousness.
If all is good and genuinely spec'd as advertised, consider it sold.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Mike..
The 230v is perfect for me actually (in Asia). Just find it a bit strange as usually units with such voltage setting would be shipping out from Asia or Europe, rarely CA.
Have asked for serial no.and photos but no response as yet. If seller happens to read this, do chime in and verify here under light instead. Admittedly this is my first time, have been buying only locally through dealer/importer for the last thirty or so years, hence all these caution and nervousness.
If all is good and genuinely spec'd as advertised, consider it sold.

I have always found manufacturers to be very helpful in these instances. You pay for shipping to the manufacturer...so the seller knows you're serious because you wouldn't pay for the Seller to send it (insured) if you had no intention of buying it. If its real, you can wire the money knowing the unit is in good shape (and safely in the manufacturer's trustworthy hands before you wire money). If its not or if its damaged, the manufacturer is the fair arbiter and can estimate cost to repair which can be negotiated with seller.

The only alternative I've used has been having an engineer come with me to inspect and then help me take it back. I've done each twice and fortunately its worked out well.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Thanks Mike..

Maybe someone with a technologicial / engineering background can explain to me why FMA is so damned expensive? :confused:
Wim

Dave_A

Feb 25, 2013
I have always found manufacturers to be very helpful in these instances. You pay for shipping to the manufacturer...so the seller knows you're serious because you wouldn't pay for the Seller to send it (insured) if you had no intention of buying it. If its real, you can wire the money knowing the unit is in good shape (and safely in the manufacturer's trustworthy hands before you wire money). If its not or if its damaged, the manufacturer is the fair arbiter and can estimate cost to repair which can be negotiated with seller.

The only alternative I've used has been having an engineer come with me to inspect and then help me take it back. I've done each twice and fortunately its worked out well.

Wow, I never thought of that. Because I wouldn't think the manufacturer would want to get involved. The other alternative is a great idea too.

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013

Thanks Lloyd.. But I somehow got the feeling that this ain't gonna be worth it ~ time, effort, money. FMA charges quite a hefty sum for services and the likes. By the time drill's done (even if deal genuine) price would have likely already escalated to point where its around the normal going market price for such units.

Wizard's last post is more like reality to me. Few years back, I've once offered $42.5k (shipped) for a very mint (as new) 711mk2 listed @$47.5k at Agon, and never heard back from the seller. :p

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

It seems to be Alex Peychev's account (of APL fame). Noting easier than going to their website and calling him directly.

http://www.aplhifi.com/index.php?op=contact

Dave_A

Feb 25, 2013
Thanks Lloyd.. But I somehow got the feeling that this ain't gonna be worth it ~ time, effort, money. FMA charges quite a hefty sum for services and the likes. By the time drill's done (even if deal genuine) price would have likely already escalated to point where its around the normal going market price for such units.

Wizard's last post is more like reality to me. Few years back, I've once offered $42.5k (shipped) for a very mint (as new) 711mk2 listed @$47.5k at Agon, and never heard back from the seller. :p

Yeah, I would agree...

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Have they stripped the amplifier from electronics? Or? I know nothing about amp electronics so I just compare it to how it usually looks like.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing