For Those Naysayers...

If it's that important, start your own thread.

Paaaaaardon me...

I thought it was all about the happy announcement of another high resolution music distributor and the quality and the discussion of what we all are consuming...

But ok...

Don't mind me...

No more comments ... on this thread!

Congrats Acoustic sounds for your initiative!

I hope we all have more and more greatly recorded music made available to the general public.

Of relevance is whether a significant fraction of DSD is up-sampled PCM. It would be nice to have a way to test for it.

Is there any way to find out; a machine (tool player, SACD player with DSD direct output, pre-amp with the same, ...) or/and from measurements?

Is there any way to find out; a machine (tool player, SACD player with DSD direct output, pre-amp with the same, ...) or/and from measurements?

You have to do measurements of the raw files. Easy enough to do. All SACD players insert a low pass filter to cut out all/most of the UHF noise.

UHF noise; Ultra High Frequency noise?

Yes, all SACD players have a low pass filter that cuts out all or most the Ultra High Frequency noise above 20k
Some SACD players/DAC's have steep filters while others are more relaxed. Some DAC's allow you to change the filters to suit your taste!

Yes, all SACD players have a low pass filter that cuts out all or most the Ultra High Frequency noise above 20k
Some SACD players/DAC's have steep filters while others are more relaxed. Some DAC's allow you to change the filters to suit your taste!

Mine does.

Since Kevin Gray of Cohearent Audio doesn't normally get involved with online forums, he asked me to post this follow-up note.

First, in response to Bruce's question of the pictures on the Cohearent Audio website:

The website hasn’t been updated in 3 years and I am in the process of converting over so that I can.

Then Kevin, added:

The fact is I have been using Meitner converters for all DSD titles since I did the first DSD transfer for Chad in the early 2000s. I presently have a Meitner ADC 8 which, coincidentally is pictured on my site, but is not listed. It is the silver unit, in the rack just to the left of the Studer, near the top. Just above it is the Tascam DV-RA1000HD which stores the DSD files. The reason the Meitners (I have both A/D and D/As) aren’t listed is that I don’t own them, they are on loan from Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder, CO. I I will list them when I update.

Since Kevin Gray of Cohearent Audio doesn't normally get involved with online forums, he asked me to post this follow-up note.

First, in response to Bruce's question of the pictures on the Cohearent Audio website:

The website hasn’t been updated in 3 years and I am in the process of converting over so that I can.

Then Kevin, added:

The fact is I have been using Meitner converters for all DSD titles since I did the first DSD transfer for Chad in the early 2000s. I presently have a Meitner ADC 8 which, coincidentally is pictured on my site, but is not listed. It is the silver unit, in the rack just to the left of the Studer, near the top. Just above it is the Tascam DV-RA1000HD which stores the DSD files. The reason the Meitners (I have both A/D and D/As) aren’t listed is that I don’t own them, they are on loan from Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder, CO. I I will list them when I update.

So he goes from the Meitner to the Tascam DV-RA1000HD to then.... no comment

Probably not if it's blocked with a low-pass filter.

Tim

Can still spill over the regular human audio range. ...Sub-harmonic distortion (SHD). :b

Yes, I'm very familiar with. ...Up to 50 kHz, or 100 kHz.

So... has anyone downloaded any yet?

It appears he records to the Tascam instead of a DSD Workstation. Not something I would do.

Gotta be a DAW in that process chain somewhere. It's reported that the download files are .dsf and tagged. Something had to divide that single file into cuts, and tag it. Maybe Gus is doing that part.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing