FTA (Final Touch Audio) Callisto USB cable

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I agree with you about the Callisto, which I now use between an SSD loaded with music files and a modified Oppo. In terms of the iFi Defender, while I don't understand the specifics of your explanation for using it, if the piece is anything like their S/PDIF iPurifier, a common finding is that the supplied wall wart undermines any gain in terms of sound quality. Some have gone for a better power supply, often at many times the cost of the iFi itself (e.g., the Paul Hynes SR4 that I use for it between Oppo and Lampi dac).

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
I agree with you about the Callisto, which I now use between an SSD loaded with music files and a modified Oppo. In terms of the iFi Defender, while I don't understand the specifics of your explanation for using it, if the piece is anything like their S/PDIF iPurifier, a common finding is that the supplied wall wart undermines any gain in terms of sound quality. Some have gone for a better power supply, often at many times the cost of the iFi itself (e.g., the Paul Hynes SR4 that I use for it between Oppo and Lampi dac).

Hi highstream,

It primarily cuts the 5v from the usb source in my use case of preferred oyaide continental 5s usb cable directly to my Terminator Plus dac and if you need to inject some super clean 5v supply (which the Terminator Plus does not need) from additional lps due to your dac needing this 5v, you can do so via its microusb connector.

Cheers.

Richard

Roasty

May 28, 2020
Thanks! I will check it out.

On a side note, I ended up with two FTA callisto usb cables (sotm to Innuos Phoenix, and the phoenix to singxer su-6), and also the FTA ethernet cable for EtherRegen to sotm. Lovely combo.

I recently purchased a sablon 2020 usb. Long story short, I like the FTA Callisto more. Sablon feels a bit more emphasis on the highs, whereas callisto has better bass and mids, which is my preference.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I replaced a well regarded usb with a FTA I got from a friend. Nice cable. It has a little more natural sound. It started out a little tilted to the highs. I don't notice that now. Did it change ot I got use to it. Who knows

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
How did things settle over time for you, Kingrex?

We actually sent a couple Callistos out today to some high profile reviewers to evaluate along side our Baltic 3 and are eager for their thoughts. :)

Reactions: Golum and christoph

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
I’ve been using the FTA Callisto USB cable since nearly two years and I’m still enthusiastic about it. It creates a large sound stage, the music appears three-dimensional, detailed and well resolved. You completely forget that you’re listening from a digital source. The music sounds natural, lively and organic with a touch of warmth but not leaned back.

I was so impressed about the sound improvements with the Callisto USB that I ordered the FTA Matis ethernet cable for a test last autumn. It didn't take me more than a minute of playtime to decide to keep it. There is just more of everything. More detail, volume and subtleties, as if the previous cable simply wasn’t able to transfer all the existing datas from the modem to the server.

Since I use the two cables in my system I don't feel the necessity to test any other USB or ethernet cables.

As we all know digital audio cables have to transmit the sound relevant informations in the first place. It’s not just about the transmission of 1 and 0. That’s exactly what the Callisto and Matis do very well.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks a lot Urs - I'm really glad you like them!

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Being Thanksgiving, I would like to add to thread (and thank LampiNA for assisting me) that the USB Callisto's are great in my system, likewise. I am lucky to have 2 of them now, used in conjunction with my Innuos Zenith Mk.3 & Phoenix combo. Delighted they play so well within my setup. I would agree with Phonatix's description of Callisto 100%. I look forward to trying the Matis someday, after a few other priorities have been quenched.

Reactions: christoph

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hello folks, I am looking for a USB cable for my setup. I am currently using a phasure lush 2 between my server and SOTM Tx ultra (USB Reclocker) and a curious USB (yellow cable) between the sotm and the Lampizator GA TRP. My dealer suggested I should try the FTA Castillo USB. I’d like to know if I should get the powered version or the non-powered version. I read somewhere that Lampizator prefers the non powered version. Is that true? Is there a reason for that?

Also I am planning to keep the phasure 2 cable between the server and USB Reclocker and just get the FTA between the Reclocker and Lampi. Is that a good decision ?

Thanks in advance.

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Hello folks, I am looking for a USB cable for my setup. I am currently using a phasure lush 2 between my server and SOTM Tx ultra (USB Reclocker) and a curious USB (yellow cable) between the sotm and the Lampizator GA TRP. My dealer suggested I should try the FTA Castillo USB. I’d like to know if I should get the powered version or the non-powered version. I read somewhere that Lampizator prefers the non powered version. Is that true? Is there a reason for that?

Also I am planning to keep the phasure 2 cable between the server and USB Reclocker and just get the FTA between the Reclocker and Lampi. Is that a good decision ?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Perfusionist, I don't know if this will help, but....

Regarding power leg requirements, I suggest reaching out to LampiNA, as he is very familiar with both FTA and Lampizator products. You may have to review the SoTM requirements, likewise, for the complete picture however. The power leg in the USB cable may be necessary for certain electronics to initialize, i.e., handshake and recognition of each other, when powering up. I believe that is the case for Innuos products. Both of my FTA USB cables are 'with' the power leg in my current arrangement: Innuos -> Innuos -> DAC. Incidentally, I have not tried a USB cable w/o a power leg.

Regarding mixing USB's, I have two small comments/recommendations originating from others, which may (or may not) be helpful for you. First, Innuos (and others) suggests using 'the same' USB cable before (dirty side) and after (clean side) the Phoenix USB Reclocker as a starting point to establish a valid aural baseline - to get a handle on what is going on - sound wise. For you, that may not be possible, assuming you only change 1 USB at a time. The second suggestion given to me was: if you use different USB cables, consider putting the better one Upstream (on the dirty side) feeding the reclocker. Some feel this would be the better approach/allocation. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with your current USB cables, so you will have to be the judge ;) . Of course, the results are completely subjective, and only you can make that determination. That said, your plan to start changing only 1 variable at a time makes sense, and would appeal to "scientific method" approach, for re-baselining your experience.

Hope those help.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Hi Perfusionist, I don't know if this will help, but....

Regarding power leg requirements, I suggest reaching out to LampiNA, as he is very familiar with both FTA and Lampizator products. You may have to review the SoTM requirements, likewise, for the complete picture however. The power leg in the USB cable may be necessary for certain electronics to initialize, i.e., handshake and recognition of each other, when powering up. I believe that is the case for Innuos products. Both of my FTA USB cables are 'with' the power leg in my current arrangement: Innuos -> Innuos -> DAC. Incidentally, I have not tried a USB cable w/o a power leg.

Regarding mixing USB's, I have two small comments/recommendations originating from others, which may (or may not) be helpful for you. First, Innuos (and others) suggests using 'the same' USB cable before (dirty side) and after (clean side) the Phoenix USB Reclocker as a starting point to establish a valid aural baseline - to get a handle on what is going on - sound wise. For you, that may not be possible, assuming you only change 1 USB at a time. The second suggestion given to me was: if you use different USB cables, consider putting the better one Upstream (on the dirty side) feeding the reclocker. Some feel this would be the better approach/allocation. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with your current USB cables, so you will have to be the judge ;) . Of course, the results are completely subjective, and only you can make that determination. That said, your plan to start changing only 1 variable at a time makes sense, and would appeal to "scientific method" approach, for re-baselining your experience.

Hope those help.
By default the FTA Callisto USB cable is manufacturered with the 5v power leg to maximize compatibility across platforms. Although they can be built without the 5v power, our experiments reveal virtually no sonic benefit to omitting it.

LampizatOr DACs do not require the 5v for handshaking, however, certain components up the chain may as suggested above. Mac computers tend to require the 5v for a handshake with our LampizatOr DACs, for example despite the fact that the same DAC can be recognized by a Windows or Linux computer with cable without it.

I am uncertain as to what the requirements of the reclocker would be, so it's probably best to check with the manufacturer there. That said, I'm fairly certain if you play it safe and go with a regular Callisto cable (which includes 5v) all will be good.

Best,

Fred A.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
These don't change hands very frequently as owners tend to love them, but I believe we have 1 demo USB (I think in black, have to double check) which could ship this week.

Reactions: perfusionist

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Isn't a distributor suppose to have inventory so they can distribute??

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
My apologies for the delayed thread response. We of course have inventory of the Callisto usb cable. I mentioned the demo cable only because he was inquiring about purchasing a used usb.

We presently have black cables in stock. The cable jacket can also come in white/basalt.

Best,

Fred A.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and Golum

Punit

Jul 19, 2020
I recently purchased a sablon 2020 usb. Long story short, I like the FTA Callisto more. Sablon feels a bit more emphasis on the highs, whereas callisto has better bass and mids, which is my preference.
Can confirm this, tried both recently & bought the FTA Callisto. Sablon was a bit bright for my system.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
My apologies for the delayed thread response. We of course have inventory of the Callisto usb cable. I mentioned the demo cable only because he was inquiring about purchasing a used usb.

We presently have black cables in stock. The cable jacket can also come in white/basalt.

Best,

Fred A.

Wish I had seen your message 16 hours earlier. I made a paypal payment to a member @StefanT in Sweden and he said he will ship it via DHL.
Can confirm this, tried both recently & bought the FTA Callisto. Sablon was a bit bright for my system.

Glad to know this cable is better than the Sablon. My dealer tried shipping me this cable on Dec 8th, but it got lost in the mail (Damn USPS).
I am so eager to try the Sablon. So merely based on reviews, I gave in, and bought the cable form a member.

Stei7141

Jul 31, 2016

Best,

Fred A.
Jumping in here, excited about Callisto, as most USB cables out there just don’t do it for me. I wonder if Callisto can be had in longer lengths (3M would be of particular interest), and whether you anticipate any sonic “penalty” for the longer run? Many thanks!

Michael

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing