FTA (Final Touch Audio) Callisto USB cable

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Yes, the Callisto is a very special cable. Unfortunately, however, we are limited to a 1.3m max length due to its construction and geometry.

I wish we could offer them in longer lengths, but our quality standards won't allow it.

Reactions: Golum

Stei7141

Jul 31, 2016
Yes, the Callisto is a very special cable. Unfortunately, however, we are limited to a 1.3m max length due to its construction and geometry.

I wish we could offer them in longer lengths, but our quality standards won't allow it.
OK, thanks for the quick reply!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Hi Fred

Do u have them in shorter lengths, say .25m, .3m or .5m and that are instock?

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
We can build them to a custom, shorter length, but as far as inventory, we primarily stock 1m as the standard length.

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Jumping in here, excited about Callisto, as most USB cables out there just don’t do it for me. I wonder if Callisto can be had in longer lengths (3M would be of particular interest), and whether you anticipate any sonic “penalty” for the longer run? Many thanks!

Michael
Hi Michael;

Thank You for the interest in the cable. Lengths we do the cable vary from 0.75m to max 1.3m as above that we notice SQ deterioration so we decided not to produce longer runs. Apologize if we can't be of any help.

Stay well and all the best;
G

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Congrats! We know you will be pleased. It should ship in the next business day.

Reactions: Re-tread and Golum

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Reactions: gestalt

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Thanks! I will check it out.

On a side note, I ended up with two FTA callisto usb cables (sotm to Innuos Phoenix, and the phoenix to singxer su-6), and also the FTA ethernet cable for EtherRegen to sotm. Lovely combo.

I recently purchased a sablon 2020 usb. Long story short, I like the FTA Callisto more. Sablon feels a bit more emphasis on the highs, whereas callisto has better bass and mids, which is my preference.
Thanks for sharing your feedback. Would you have any interest in checking out one of our Elara power cords? We would love to get your thoughts on that.

Where are you located?

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Thank you. Is there any tracking info available?
The tracking info should have been entered through the checkout portal, but if you want to shoot me a PM with your name, I'll look it and and send it to you again.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Hello,
cables is an interesting subject, also the door of beliefs. I have listen to many power cords, interconnects, speaker cables, digital cables for 40 years, and yes also to USB cables.
About USB cable, I must say that audiophile cables are often better than computer ones. However, if the best I listen to is PRANAWIRE's Photon, I become aware that when the transport or the network player is well designed, I found no real advantage between a very good USB cable from the computer world and an exotic cable from well known manufacturers. This is not the case with other cables, power, interconnect and speakers cables where high-tech is mandatory.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
What is an example of a very good USB cable from the computer world? Since computer audio has become popular, better quality computer cables are designed to sound as good as audiophile stereo system cables.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
What is an example of a very good USB cable from the computer world? Since computer audio has become popular, better quality computer cables are designed to sound as good as audiophile stereo system cables.
Hello Highstream
In the past I used VooDoo reference silver USB after some years with PAD USB. PRANAWIRE Photon is much better than all the cables I tried.
I do not use anymore my MacBook Pro in the audio system since the introduction of MAN301, I use computer quality USB cable from SAMSUNG. There are few high quality USB cable with USB-C, and to my perception, more marketing at a cost than pure engineering.
I do not detect a real improvement between computer cable and audiophile cable sound in this ripping / replay application from MAN301 to Samsung SSD T7. But I will try the PRANAWIRE Photon USB-C to USB-A version when it will be available to verify if I could get a better sound in my application, or find that it is useless and a loss of money.
Last years, I linked my MacBook to my previous BRICASTI M1 DAC, and found that USB cable quality was mandatory. WEISS MAN301, latest version is a surprising unit, it blows away my previous STAHL-TEK CDT at 1/3 of the price, and seems to be less digital cable dependent especially in conjunction with DAC 502. Daniel WEISS recommend to use computer quality cable in USB or RJ45, and their digital cables are special wires with Neutrik (XLR) or Furutech (RCA) plugs, unshielded. Daniel received a technical Grammy award this year .
Cheers from France

Attachments

• IMG_7639.jpeg
    IMG_7639.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Along with a few others from the Cable Co., I tried the PranaWire spdif cable and was unimpressed. I ended up with the PAD Neptune, which I still use between Oppo 203 and Lampi dac. To each their tastes. As for USB, I used the TotalDac in my computer audio system for a long time -- JCAT card to Directstream dac, before disassembling the system and switching the cable to an SSD to Oppo run in my living room stereo set up. Currently, I'm using the Callisto in that spot. However, a recent comparison of four USB cables by someone on these forums found the FTA was "shouty" in his system, which is something I also experienced upon its arrival -- and have mentioned a bunch on the Lampi TRP forum. But since I had changed some key tubes at the same time, and have seen the shoutiness wax and wane with different tubes, I've assumed it is tube related, not the cable. I'm going to find out: the favorite in that comparison was the basic Curious USB, which years ago I wasn't all that impressed with on my desktop. They have an "Evolved" version now and I'll soon be auditioning a short one to see how it fares.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Along with a few others from the Cable Co., I tried the PranaWire spdif cable and was unimpressed. I ended up with the PAD Neptune, which I still use between Oppo 203 and Lampi dac. To each their tastes. As for USB, I used the TotalDac in my computer audio system for a long time -- JCAT card to Directstream dac, before disassembling the system and switching the cable to an SSD to Oppo run in my living room stereo set up. Currently, I'm using the Callisto in that spot. However, a recent comparison of four USB cables by someone on these forums found the FTA was "shouty" in his system, which is something I also experienced upon its arrival. But since I had changed some key tubes at the same time, and have seen the shoutiness wax and wane with different tubes, I've assumed it is tube related, not the cable. I'm going to find out: the favorite in that comparison was the basic Curious USB, which years ago I wasn't all that impressed with on my desktop. They have an "Evolved" version now and I'll soon be auditioning a short one to see how it fares.
I had PAD Proteus RCA in the past, it was a good cable at the price between my STAHL-TEK Vekian DAC and my NAGRA preamp, but a bit colored and not as detailed / transparent as I want (I was PAD dealer at that time). I still have an interconnect from PAD.
Cables burn in is very important (depending on the design and on the materials used), and sometimes cables can reveal problems in the audio system. I never listen to PRANAWIRE spdif, but only to Cosmos II in XLR, and it's really a great cable. However I sold it to upgrade to Arhat.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Along with a few others from the Cable Co., I tried the PranaWire spdif cable and was unimpressed. I ended up with the PAD Neptune, which I still use between Oppo 203 and Lampi dac. To each their tastes. As for USB, I used the TotalDac in my computer audio system for a long time -- JCAT card to Directstream dac, before disassembling the system and switching the cable to an SSD to Oppo run in my living room stereo set up. Currently, I'm using the Callisto in that spot. However, a recent comparison of four USB cables by someone on these forums found the FTA was "shouty" in his system, which is something I also experienced upon its arrival. But since I had changed some key tubes at the same time, and have seen the shoutiness wax and wane with different tubes, I've assumed it is tube related, not the cable. I'm going to find out: the favorite in that comparison was the basic Curious USB, which years ago I wasn't all that impressed with on my desktop. They have an "Evolved" version now and I'll soon be auditioning a short one to see how it fares.
Curious to learn about your findings? ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing