Genesis 10th Anniversary Show: International CES 2013

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The recording that I have of this is poor but the music is great. It is from an European Record Label. It also has 6 additional cuts.. Not retakes additional cuts. I don't know if the sounds is any better in the version Gary mentioned.

Frantz, I wouldn't say that the recording is great, but good enough that the music can shine. It's in mono, and the cuts are very abrupt, but fabulous music and great sound - good enough to bring to CES and demo with.

I know of two other versions where the sound is quite poor. I don't have the one you posted. AFAIK, due to contractual agreements, Charlie Parker can't be on the same bill as Dizzy Gillespie in the North America, so the one you have must be a European non-contracted version.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
If you are a fan of bop, this album is a must have, and it's one of the albums we will be bringing to CES.

In 1953, the New Jazz Society of Toronto contracted the early bop "giants" to play at Massey Hall. It is the only time that Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Charlie Mingus, Bud Powell and Max Roach have ever been recorded together. On the album, Charlie Parker is identified as "charlie chan". It was a dramatic night, and the quality of the music was startling. We are all lucky that there were mics and recorders present that night.

View attachment 7116

There's also this version

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX00888072337244

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
If you are a fan of bop, this album is a must have, and it's one of the albums we will be bringing to CES.

In 1953, the New Jazz Society of Toronto contracted the early bop "giants" to play at Massey Hall. It is the only time that Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Charlie Mingus, Bud Powell and Max Roach have ever been recorded together. On the album, Charlie Parker is identified as "charlie chan". It was a dramatic night, and the quality of the music was startling. We are all lucky that there were mics and recorders present that night.

View attachment 7116

Great recounting of the concert here: http://www.jazzwax.com/2009/01/jazz-at-massey-hall.html

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Early Traffic

This isn't your usual demo record. But this system handled it so well, that I'll have to bring this with me to CES.

It's a Traffic album but not a Traffic album. A flop in the UK, it was listed under the names of the 7 members of Traffic at the time. It's the classic "dirty" sound of English rock band. Recorded "live" in Fairfield Hall in Croydon it instantly transported me back in space and time to the '70s. You hear the echoes of the halls, the rattle of the light fixtures, and the audience around you.

Canteen.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Songbird

When I'm asked for female vocals, the artist I would pull out would not be Diana Krall or Patricia Barber or Rebecca Pidgeon, it would be Eva Cassidy. The "shy songbird from Bowie" was taken from us way too early at the age of 33. She passed away from lung and bone cancer due to metastasis from a melanoma less than a year after her "Live at Blues Alley" album (not available on vinyl - otherwise that would be the one that I'd play). The last track on this album would make me cry, so I very rarely play it - she sang Somewhere over the Rainbow like she knew that is the place from which she would be looking down on us music lovers. http://evacassidy.org/eva/otr.htm

Songbird is the only Eva Cassidy available on vinyl. It is a post-humous compilation of 10 tracks from her 3 albums. There are some albums for which I would pay $100 to buy just for one track. This album comprises 10 tracks that I would gladly pay $100 for each.

What a wonderful world it is that we can have Eva Cassidy back with us even though it's just for a few short minutes. THIS is what the business of hifi is all about. What we work so hard for, and what we bring to the world. http://evacassidy.org/eva/waww.htm

Songbird.jpg

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
When I'm asked for female vocals, the artist I would pull out would not be Diana Krall or Patricia Barber or Rebecca Pidgeon, it would be Eva Cassidy. The "shy songbird from Bowie" was taken from us way too early at the age of 33. She passed away from lung and bone cancer due to metastasis from a melanoma less than a year after her "Live at Blues Alley" album (not available on vinyl - otherwise that would be the one that I'd play). The last track on this album would make me cry, so I very rarely play it - she sang Somewhere over the Rainbow like she knew that is the place from which she would be looking down on us music lovers.

Songbird is the only Eva Cassidy available on vinyl. It is a post-humous compilation of 10 tracks from her 3 albums. There are some albums for which I would pay $100 to buy just for one track. This album comprises 10 tracks that I would gladly pay $100 for each.

What a wonderful world it is that we can have Eva Cassidy back with us even though it's just for a few short minutes. THIS is what the business of hifi is all about. What we work so hard for, and what we bring to the world.

Beautiful stuff indeed. Musically, I prefer "live at the blues alley" over "songbird". I always listen to "autumn leaves" as part of my standard gear evaluation tracks. The "Simply Eva" album is also highly recommended.

Another phenomenal female Jazz vocalist (very different) is the much underrated (or not rated at all) Rachell Ferrell. Try "First Instrument".

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Country and Western

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Beautiful stuff indeed. Musically, I prefer "live at the blues alley" over "songbird". I always listen to "autumn leaves" as part of my standard gear evaluation tracks. The "Simply Eva" album is also highly recommended.

Another phenomenal female Jazz vocalist (very different) is the much underrated (or not rated at all) Rachell Ferrell. Try "First Instrument".

Songbird features 4 songs from Live at Blues Alley with the applause edited out - I think that they should have left some of the applause in. I have all her albums, but much prefer listening to the LP.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
An essential part of Genesis's show rooms is the welcome. During the Alexis Park days, we would have a pile of Krispy Kreme doughnuts for visitors. Unfortunately, they would usually disappear before the public even appears because exhibitors manning the other rooms would come by for breakfast before the show starts. In The V*n*tian, it is much more difficult. The hotel makes money on room service and beverages and frown on exhibitors bringing in food. The first year, we had bottles of wine and our own glasses, and they tried to charge us corkage!!

Now, we willingly pay the hotel $150 a day for a gallon of coffee wheeled in by room service every day so that they don't complain when we have a bowl of chocolate bars and bottles of water to give away. If you come to the show, and the desert air makes you thirsty, and you don't see bottles of water on the countertop when you come into our room, ask, and you shall receive a bottle of water. We put only a couple of bottles out at any time as the hotel may still complain and want to charge corkage.

This year, we are going to push the envelope a bit more by bringing:

41xTICUYBNL.jpg

We may have to put in in the bathroom so that the hotel doesn't complain.... but we'll have fresh espresso for anyone that asks.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hay Gary when I was at RMAF they had a masseuse in the lobby. You sat in a chair and it cost about $10.:b

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If there's a "Pole" involved I'm booking right now! :D

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Espresso! Dancing girls would be nice too.:p

On Wednesday Gary invited myself and some other guys from our audio group over to listen to the system he is taking to CES. All I can say is those that visit his room at CES are in for a treat. Very nice sound.

Best of all I heard some new to me tunes that I have to track down. The Bill Cunliffe Trio Live at Bernies LP was especially nice. The Thorens 125th anniversary LP and Eva Cassidy Songbird LP where awesome too.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hay Gary when I was at RMAF they had a masseuse in the lobby. You sat in a chair and it cost about $10.:b

I was in an audio show once in China and a room was offering free foot-massages. Now, that's a captive audience. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing