Genesis 10th Anniversary Show: International CES 2013

Espresso! Dancing girls would be nice too.:p

On Wednesday Gary invited myself and some other guys from our audio group over to listen to the system he is taking to CES. All I can say is those that visit his room at CES are in for a treat. Very nice sound.

Best of all I heard some new to me tunes that I have to track down. The Bill Cunliffe Trio Live at Bernies LP was especially nice. The Thorens 125th anniversary LP and Eva Cassidy Songbird LP where awesome too.

I enjoyed some of the LPs you brought too! That Direct Grace album was up there among the best.

I enjoyed some of the LPs you brought too! That Direct Grace album was up there among the best.

Yes! That was the best recorded album I brought with me except maybe the M&K For Duke record that you already have.:D

Luckily I was able to track down the Live at Bernies LP at an Australian website, and also the Thorens 125th anniversary test pressing LP, and Eva Cassidy Songbird LP at Acoustic Sounds.

Just three days to go before we get to CES, I'm picking through my albums and here are a couple more that I'll be bringing and playing.

I'm totally blown over at how "live" this album sounds. The audience is in the room with you as they whistle and cheer almost non-stop. The energy is breathtaking. One of my best "live" albums - and the sonics on this promo is excellent. Superlative guitar playing by Muddy Waters, and a band "in the groove".

Muddy Waters.jpg

Another promo album - Joe Cocker's Sheffield Steel. I know Joe Cocker best from the movie An Officer and a Gentleman when he sang a duet with Jennifer Warnes on the song in the final scene - Up Where We Belong. It won the Oscar, Golden Globe and UK BAFTA awards for Best Original Song in 1983..... and that's when I bought my first copy of Sheffield Steel when I was in school in London.

I loved the music, but the sonics weren't particularly impressive. The CD isn't very good either, and later re-issues and re-masters didn't improve on things. When I saw this promo cheap on eBay, I bought it not expecting much. But the sound is to die for - coupled with great music, it's a must-listen.

Sheffield Steel.jpg

-- Muddy Waters, Joe Cocker; two huge names in music's history.

Gary, you're a lucky man to be in possession of those two LPs. :cool: ... Happy New Year! :b
...And to your sister Carolyn too.

-- Muddy Waters, Joe Cocker; two huge names in music's history.

Gary, you're a lucky man to be in possession of those two LPs. :cool: ... Happy New Year! :b
...And to your sister Carolyn too.

And all the best to you for the New Year, Bob. Glad to have met you on this site :)

And all the best to you for the New Year, Bob.
Glad to have met you on this site :)

---- Likewise Gary; you and your sister are two real troopers, all the way to friendship's street. :b
...Two of the most peaceful people of the entire Internet world.

* We just had an earthquake, here on the Island! ...Like 30 seconds after I click [Save].

lou rawls.jpg

TracklistHide Credits?
A1 Stormy Monday
Written-By – "T-Bone" Walker*
3:05
A2 Southside Blues (Monologue)
Written-By – Lou Rawls
2:50
A3 Tobacco Road
Written-By – John D. Loudermilk
5:55
A4 St. James Infirmary
Written-By – Joe Primrose
4:04
A5 The Shadow Of Your Smile (Love Theme From "The Sandpiper")
Written-By – Johnny Mandel, Paul Francis Webster
4:18
A6 I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water
Written-By – Eddie Miller (3)
2:33
B1 Goin' To Chicago Blues
Written-By – Count Basie, James Rushing*
2:53
B2 In The Evening When The Sun Goes Down
Written-By – Don Raye, Leroy Carr
6:21
B3 The Girl From Ipanema
Written-By – Jobim*, Gimbel*, De Moraes*
4:30
B4 I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good
Written-By – Duke Ellington, Paul Webster*
3:44
B5 Street Corner Hustler's Blues (Monologue)
Written-By – Lou Rawls
3:40
B6 World Of Trouble
Written-By – Oscar Brown, Jr.*

Gary I can't answer that question Funny my first copy was purchased while it was still on the charts. I chose it because of the audience ambiance, All I can say is the original version is excellent.Tthere is a monophonic version out there somewhere

The Capitol FDS usually mean that it was recorded multi-track, very rarely it was recorded for mono, and then "enhanced" for stereo. That's why I was asking. I find that many times, I prefer a mono. I'm still doing more reading - possibly the yellow label was a re-issue.

The mono version was clearly labeled as such.

The Genesis room will feature electronics by Burmester and Viola Labs, cables by Vertere Acoustics, and the TechDAS Air Force One turntable. Here's the complete product list:

Genesis 2.2 Junior ribbon line-source loudspeakers: $80,000
Vertere Pulse-X Reference loudspeaker cables (2m): $4,250
Viola Labs Bravo 2-chassis power amplifier: $59,000
Vertere Pulse-R Balanced interconnect cable (7m): $9,100
Viola Labs Crescendo preamplifier (with USB DAC): $22,000
Vertere Hand-built Balanced Interconnect (1.5m): $10,000
Burmester Ph100 Phono stage (2 x MC + ADC): $23,995
TechDAS Air Force One Turntable $$$ t.b.d.
Vertere Reference Hand-built Tonearm Cable (1.5m): $11,350
Vertere Reference Tonearm $35,000
Custom cartridge $$$ priceless
Vertere Pulse-R Tonearm Cable (1.15m) $4,475
Graham Engineering Phantom II Supreme 12" Tonearm $6,000
Brinkmann Pi Cartridge $2,700
Burmester 089 CD Player (with USB DAC): $30,495
Vertere Hand-built Balanced Interconnect (1.15m): $8,200
Absolute Fidelity Power Interface Cables (8nos) $17,600​

That's some serious tonearm cable Gary ...:)

It's actually cheaper than the Nordost Odin tonearm cable that I used 3 years ago. I know that many on this forum don't believe in the audibility of cables, but sometimes it can be the weakest link in the system. ESPECIALLY the tonearm cable. There's tiny, extremely fragile signals involved.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing