Giant Custom Horn Systems - How they sound and issues with sonics

I definitely dream of one day building the ultimate system and room. I see what some of these crazy guys do with truly giant custom horn installations and they make me drool, but (like most of us) I've never had an opportunity to hear one of these crazy systems (see pics).

But I'm guessing at least a few of you have and others probably possess some theoretical engineering knowledge around the issues these giant horn systems might create, but I've never seen a thread that discusses the sonic pro's and con's of these systems.

Would love to hear some thoughts (even if it is just some pontificating on theory) regarding these types of installations. Let's discuss.

For what they are these measurements confirm a few things

Yes they are very sensitive

The impedance peak in the bass at about 24hertz confirms they are tuned through the rear loaded folded horn by a 11 ft horn , and the sensitivity drops off for the bass, as per a rear loaded horn, though with room gain there would still be some useful output to the bottom of acoustic instruments other than organ at about 31 hertz

Well, it says useable bass @ 30Hz. And with that room reinforcement plus bigger monoblocks why not an additional half octave.
Did the reviewer experiment with pair of 400 watts RMS into 8 Ohms each mono amps? ...The type that delivers twice into 4 Ohms.

If the lowest bass is missing just add a pair of subwoofers. Is there a law interdicting the audiophilia.
And you don't have to pay $35,000 ... I checked and you can find a pair in good to excellent condition from between roughly $4,000 and $9,000

JA does a nearfield woofer measurement. Like holding a mike right in front of the woofer and then makes a complex sum, its not a accurate measurement , for low freq you need a anechoic chamber.

Look, you are wrong about the bass of the Westminster. It probably goes flat to 35 Hz or so and then with room reinforcement down into the upper 20s. A 3.3 meter horn will do sufficient bass.

One thing I found though is that there was an independent measurement by a private individual who estimated the sensitivity at only 93db...which would explain the less SET friendly attitude that many report. However, I have found my 93db Odeon Rigolettos work great with SET...as have other, large multi-way, conentional speakers of similar sensitivty.

Look, you are wrong about the bass of the Westminster. It probably goes flat to 35 Hz or so and then with room reinforcement down into the upper 20s. A 3.3 meter horn will do sufficient bass.

One thing I found though is that there was an independent measurement by a private individual who estimated the sensitivity at only 93db...which would explain the less SET friendly attitude that many report. However, I have found my 93db Odeon Rigolettos work great with SET...as have other, large multi-way, conentional speakers of similar sensitivty.

Please give me something more proof then " probably " , I know some audiophiles solve this with using thicker cables allowing more current to pass through so enhancing the bass :):p

Give me the electrical cut off freq of that woofer , around 40 Hz probably and then explain to me how that thing can produce low freq ACCURATELY lower than that im not even talking -6 or -10 db

Where’s he posting them?

david

I saw them on Facebook. I messaged the guy to see if he would share details. I don't think it is his system though, so he might not know. Still, great to see guys doing stuff like this.

Unfortunately this discussion somewhat deviated from the OP question, and I’d be very curious to hear an opinion of someone, who had actually been in one of those custom designed rooms with full range horn systems, especially like the one in the picture above.
I would travel far just to hear it.
At some point, I actually contemplated doing something like this, when we were thinking about building a new house, but that never happened.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing