Goebel Divin Noblesse Speakers in Da House!

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Thread has officially been "unwatched" ... I thought this thread was about the speakers

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Reactions: ashandger

Hoffman

Apr 22, 2020
This discussion has turned into evidence in support of answering "no" to the question, "Do you share your system with other audiophiles?" :)

Getting back to the subject at hand, Howiebrou I'm curious to know how you are able to get large speakers to perform well in what appears to be a relatively small room and how you deal with having a side wall on one side and none on the other? Have you heard a difference between how the Goebels handle the room versus the speakers you previously had?

Reactions: hogen

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This discussion has turned into evidence in support of answering "no" to the question, "Do you share your system with other audiophiles?" :)

Getting back to the subject at hand, Howiebrou I'm curious to know how you are able to get large speakers to perform well in what appears to be a relatively small room and how you deal with having a side wall on one side and none on the other? Have you heard a difference between how the Goebels handle the room versus the speakers you previously had?

What you see in his pictures is a part of a larger and very pleasant living space with good natural acoustics. He's definitely not dealing with small room acoustics.

david

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
From what I can see in the pictures there is side wall at the front and slightly ahead of both speakers. The primary reflection from a speaker would happen in that area. I am not in the room so I can not comment on what it is doing and how it is affecting the sound and imaging. The videos that were posted sound very good and it looks like the walls are not being nasty to the overall sound. It also looks like a well constructed room and that is always a good thing. I have had terrific results in "normal" living spaces not always in highly treated dedicated rooms. The Divin series behave very well in a variety of areas both larger and smaller. Enjoy

Hoffman

Apr 22, 2020
I was able to locate a photo earlier in the thread that showed the rest of the room and I see what you mean ddk. It's a gorgeous room and I'm sure it sounds great, but I'm still curious to know how there isn't a significant issue caused by having what appear in the photos to be very different first reflection points on the right and left sides? I have the same type of layout where one side is open to the listener's right, but my first reflection point is the same because the wall extends out further towards the listener. Even then, I get of a little bit of image shift due to one side of the room having an opening (or maybe that's not what's causing it). Of course, I don't have nice high ceilings like he does. It would be interesting to know if he has tried different speakers that have not worked well in that space and whether the Goebel's seem exceptional in that regard. Whatever, the case, what an awesome setup.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I really struggled in my old space w having my spkrs within the R half of my 27' wide room. Meaning my R spkr was 4' from one side wall and my L spkr was in open space, 13' from the other side wall. There we multitudinous issues w my room, and I'm sure this was high up as a problem.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I was able to locate a photo earlier in the thread that showed the rest of the room and I see what you mean ddk. It's a gorgeous room and I'm sure it sounds great, but I'm still curious to know how there isn't a significant issue caused by having what appear in the photos to be very different first reflection points on the right and left sides? I have the same type of layout where one side is open to the listener's right, but my first reflection point is the same because the wall extends out further towards the listener. Even then, I get of a little bit of image shift due to one side of the room having an opening (or maybe that's not what's causing it). Of course, I don't have nice high ceilings like he does. It would be interesting to know if he has tried different speakers that have not worked well in that space and whether the Goebel's seem exceptional in that regard. Whatever, the case, what an awesome setup.
I will be the first one to admit the limitations of the room shape. Unfortunately over here in Hong Kong most dont have the luxury of a custom designed room a la Mike Lavigne. To do that I would have to move country! Having said that the room works to a reasonable degree. Dont ask me why.The opening on the right is not ideal but it doesn't seem to require lastly different toe ins either.There is no acoustical treatment in the room either. I am not a fan of overtreatment. It seems to kill the life of the music at the expense of an even response. Here are a couple of Christmas time photos when the Stenheims were still here which will give you a better idea of the rest of the room. IMG_20200106_194541.jpg IMG_20200106_194412.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I will be the first one to admit the limitations of the room shape. Unfortunately over here in Hong Kong most dont have the luxury of a custom designed room a la Mike Lavigne. To do that I would have to move country! Having said that the room works to a reasonable degree. Dont ask me why.The opening on the right is not ideal but it doesn't seem to require lastly different toe ins either.There is no acoustical treatment in the room either. I am not a fan of overtreatment. It seems to kill the life of the music at the expense of an even response. Here are a couple of Christmas time photos when the Stenheims were still here which will give you a better idea of the rest of the room. View attachment 64875 View attachment 64877
Shit Howie this is a freakin beautiful home. You got to be pretty loaded having a house like this in HK. I should con you and rip off some of your money. What I would love to see is your kitchen.

Kind regards,
Tang

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
[QUOT
Unfortunately this is the type of discussion that kills a thread and is driving people away from WBF - disrespectful opinions and personnel fights. IMHO in such hostile environment no one will dare to ask questions or post opinions.
I disagree. Writing styles are just different. I think this forum is worthless if there is only positive experience sharing or you cannot write any negative buyers opinion. It seems to me whenever someone says something suck and not poetic about it that person automatically become a basher in this forum. The other day I was commenting that buying amps worth a few hundred thousand grands and a few years later the exact same model come out with an update version with obvious better sound not little difference but simply better is fuck up. Now I am probably put into a category of Kondo basher. My comment refered to Kondo. Yes. But only because that was the amp in subject of discussion. My view on this was on any freakin amps that anyone has to pay that much not just Kondo. This is a buyer honest point of view. If the topology of the amp is not different, the transformer still is the same type, still the same model, but you have to get a different version of the same model or keep rolling tubes until it sound right, etc, with that much you pay for an amp?, That's just fuck up. For me if any one say Lamm sucks. I would be perfectly fine and dont get so damn defensive. It is one man's opinion. What dangerous is when everyone who purchase super expensive things all say they are great just because they put so much money into them already or they haven't heard other amps next to it. Put different amps next to it in your system like Howie or Amadeus, then you know which worth your money. Do people in this forum want to hear the truth or just want to praise what they own. Or do we have too many people defending their business interest in this forum. What I see more and more in this forum is industry associates promote and defend their products instead of hearing out real users experience. People are not stupid. They can read and judge the comment or the people who made comment themself. People leave this forum not because there is a free flow of info both ways, but they leave because they are hearing info in one way direction. That's boring.

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
[QUOT

I disagree. Writing styles are just different. I think this forum is worthless if there is only positive experience sharing or you cannot write any negative buyers opinion. It seems to me whenever someone says something suck and not poetic about it that person automatically become a basher in this forum. The other day I was commenting that buying amps worth a few hundred thousand grands and a few years later the exact same model come out with an update version with obvious better sound not little difference but simply better is fuck up. Now I am probably put into a category of Kondo basher. My comment refered to Kondo. Yes. But only because that was the amp in subject of discussion. My view on this was on any freakin amps that anyone has to pay that much not just Kondo. This is a buyer honest point of view. If the topology of the amp is not different, the transformer still is the same type, still the same model, but you have to get a different version of the same model or keep rolling tubes until it sound right, etc, with that much you pay for an amp?, That's just fuck up. For me if any one say Lamm sucks. I would be perfectly fine and dont get so damn defensive. It is one man's opinion. What dangerous is when everyone who purchase super expensive things all say they are great just because they put so much money into them already or they haven't heard other amps next to it. Put different amps next to it in your system like Howie or Amadeus, then you know which worth your money. Do people in this forum want to hear the truth or just want to praise what they own. Or do we have too many people defending their business interest in this forum. What I see more and more in this forum is industry associates promote and defend their products instead of real users experience. People are not stupid. They can read and judge the comment or the people who made comment themself. People leave this forum not because there is a free flow of info both ways, but they leave because they are hearing info in one way direction. That's boring.
Tang, I could not agree more about a two way exchange of views. If i may be so bold as to add just one thing and that is we should just make sure we remain polite and respectful during all our exchanges, although I accept that we all have different styles in the way we express our opinions. ;)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
It is not about someone not liking a certain audio product, be it very expensive or not. That is perfectly fine. Equally fine are discussions about various audio products in which members disagree with each other. But please do state your opinions in a respectful way. Bashing products or ridiculing opinions of other members is stupid / rude behavior and bringing nothing to the forum.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Howie. I am still interested more in your kitchen and appliances. You must have a great kitchen. What kind of oven, stove, sink, fridge, microwave you have? They must effect your sound too having an open floor. Do you use Gobel power cord for your microwave. I use Siltech Tripple Crown on mine. No audiophile can beat me on this.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It is not about someone not liking a certain audio product, be it very expensive or not. That is perfectly fine. Equally fine are discussions about various audio products in which members disagree with each other. But please do state your opinions in a respectful way. Bashing products or ridiculing opinions of other members is stupid / rude behavior and bringing nothing to the forum.
Dear Rudy,
If you expect respectful conversation start off with one and please stop lecturing us. People express their opinions in the manner they see fit, not to gain your approval!

david

Hoffman

Apr 22, 2020
I will be the first one to admit the limitations of the room shape. Unfortunately over here in Hong Kong most dont have the luxury of a custom designed room a la Mike Lavigne. To do that I would have to move country! Having said that the room works to a reasonable degree. Dont ask me why.The opening on the right is not ideal but it doesn't seem to require lastly different toe ins either.There is no acoustical treatment in the room either. I am not a fan of overtreatment. It seems to kill the life of the music at the expense of an even response. Here are a couple of Christmas time photos when the Stenheims were still here which will give you a better idea of the rest of the room. View attachment 64875 View attachment 64877
That's really a cool space. Big by Hong Kong standards I imagine. We'd all like to have the luxury of a dedicated room but I don't think you have to have it to get good sound. Thanks for sharing more pictures.

Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie. I am still interested more in your kitchen and appliances. You must have a great kitchen. What kind of oven, stove, sink, fridge, microwave you have? They must effect your sound too having an open floor. Do you use Gobel power cord for your microwave. I use Siltech Tripple Crown on mine. No audiophile can beat me on this.

It's a commercial island from Bertos with 4 gas jobs, a French top and 2 induction stoves and two gas ovens. You can tell I like cooking. The Marriot here has the same one. I have a Clearaudio Microwave with LPS and using Argento power cord. Grounded with Tripoint as well of course. If you heat up food with a Stillpoint LP weight on top it tastes better. When I serve I place a DS Audio Ioniser to help remove the static from my Dead Sea salt flakes.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Dear Rudy,
If you expect respectful conversation start off with one and please stop lecturing us. People express their opinions in the manner they see fit, not to gain your approval!

david

You put things upside down, David: apparently / regretfully reading carefully seems not to be your strong suit.

And just to be clear on that as well: I am not looking for anyones approval, least of all yours.

Reactions: hogen

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You put things upside down, David: apparently / regretfully reading carefully seems not to be your strong suit.

And just to be clear on that as well: I am not looking for anyones approval, least of all yours.
I don’t recall lecturing you or demanding any!
david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing