Good DAC in the $500 to $1,000 range

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Steve-As you know I own the EMU 0404 DAC. I'm using mine with USB from my computer/server. I am not happy with the sound, but I don't know if it's because of the USB connection or the DAC just isn't that good or its just me and my aversion to digital. I bought an interface cable so that I can take the S/PDIF signal that is lurking on my MB and feed the S/PDIF signal to the EMU and see if that makes any difference. The jury seems to be out as to whether it will make any difference or sound better or worse based on some comments I received on another thread. The cable should show up next week and I will give it a try. I would like to sort this out as I don't think my digital should be so far in the weeds in comparision to my analog rigs. I know that you liked the sound of the EMU that Larry brought to your house. Until I get this sorted out (assuming I ever do), I personally wouldn't recommend the DAC until the time comes to put it on Audiogon and extoll its virtues.

Mark, have you considered not using the included SMPS but something better? Here's a very, very expensive ( :D ) option for you to try:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...EpiMZZMtd%2b2RMOh0Ly67MVk98F9Ec9KGWAYV%2bMI4=

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
HD2 doesn't impress me (uses USB power and such).

HD20 seems nicer but the web site lacks detail on the implementation.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It appears to me that $500-$1000 is a pretty "dead" range for outboard DACs. For under $500 you have things like the Cambridge DACMagic, Musical Fidelity and HRT streamer, and for over $1000 Rega, Wyred4Sound and others. Perhaps (at this time) to make a significant improvement on the under $500 DACs you have to go above $1000.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks. That is a good list. But I must say, I got a chuckle reading about the company who is selling them:

"We use the following criteria for distribution on our web site:

The components in the electronics must exceed US military specifications"

"We are the # 1 importer of Chinese Audio in the USA"

Something tells me Chinese Audio companies are not trying to comply with US mil spec :). And at any rate, I am confident there are a ton of components that not mil-spec. But we digress.....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks. That is a good list. But I must say, I got a chuckle reading about the company who is selling them:

"We use the following criteria for distribution on our web site:

The components in the electronics must exceed US military specifications"

"We are the # 1 importer of Chinese Audio in the USA"

Something tells me Chinese Audio companies are not trying to comply with US mil spec :). And at any rate, I am confident there are a ton of components that not mil-spec. But we digress.....

Truth be told, not much ever exceeded U.S. military specification gear in the good old days. With few exceptions, those days are gone. The majority of today's military electronic gear is built using Commercial Off the Shelf technology and parts commonly referred to as COTS. In the good old days, if you had a piece of gear built to meet full mil specs, you had something. In fact, most all of the famous MIL-STDs are gone and therefore not even referenced in contract documents.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Was Larry using the USB connection? If so, something else is amiss in my digital set-up. The differences between my digital and analog rigs are very significant. It shouldn't be this far apart.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
HD2 doesn't impress me (uses USB power and such).

HD20 seems nicer but the web site lacks detail on the implementation.

I know that the HD2 is about $300. Not sure about the HD20.... but reading more, it's limited to 24/96 - so I guess that's out for you.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary-Never thought about that. Have you tried it with good results? $30 isn't much to spend if you think it will make a noticeable difference.

Hi Mark - the improvement is significantly more than $30 :D

I've even used it with expensive gear with great results.... and you don't have to do very much. Cut the SMPS off the existing lead you have on the piece of gear, and screw down the binding posts. B&K also makes bigger ones that are even better. The $30 one is a good start though.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Mark - the improvement is significantly more than $30 :D

I've even used it with expensive gear with great results.... and you don't have to do very much. Cut the SMPS off the existing lead you have on the piece of gear, and screw down the binding posts. B&K also makes bigger ones that are even better. The $30 one is a good start though.

Oh... just to be sure, the $30 one is also a SMPS, but a far better one than the usual wall warts included with cheap gear. A transformer-based one from B+K Precision starts at around $150. These are "educational" power supplies. They also have super-duper "laboratory" power supplies.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just found this new Peachtree Dac: http://signalpathint.com/index.php/iDAC/iDac.html

Doesn't have async USB but the ESS DAC claims to get low jitter without it. We will see :). I will see if I can get my hands on one to evaluate. Searching online, seems like no one has yet reviewed it..... $999.

Amir, I may be able to help you. I can get you in touch with David Solomon at Peachtee.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Amir, I may be able to help you. I can get you in touch with David Solomon at Peachtee.

The main office is here in Bellevue at 704-391-9337. You can talk to David Richardson

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I saw that the address was in Bellevue (same place our showroom is!) but couldn't grok the 704 area code. Where they located elsewhere before?

We have a great relationship with their rep but having a direct contact to the principals is great. if someone also has David's email address and can PM, that would be superb.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing