Gryphon EOS 5 Loudspeaker

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Anybody order a pair?

I wonder what upgrade path I should take for my Gryphon Cantatas. I have a small room. Which Gryphon speaker would improve upon the Cantatas?

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Gryphon Mojo S.

Do you own a pair? What do you like about them?

The funny thing is that I listened to a pair back in New York in 2018 and posted some comments on here.

I’d have to find a used pair, as they’re no longer being produced and I’d have to sell the Cantatas, get them put in their shipping crates, and get them shipped out.

This is no small feat, as I have done it many times, moving around New York City and then out of town.

Oh, well, I’ll have to content myself with getting my Colosseum out of the repair shop and listening to my “new” Pandora preamp before I make a move on the speaker front.

Laurusri

Nov 14, 2022
Anybody order a pair?

I wonder what upgrade path I should take for my Gryphon Cantatas. I have a small room. Which Gryphon speaker would improve upon the Cantatas?
EOS 2, if they fit into your budget, I've been listening to them for about a month and every day they amaze me more and more, in a few days I'll write a short review.

Reactions: LarryK

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
EOS 2, if they fit into your budget, I've been listening to them for about a month and every day they amaze me more and more, in a few days I'll write a short review.

Yeah, that is the model that makes the most sense for me, unless I stumble into a lot of money and buy a much larger house. It would probably be easier to convince my wife to try a new speaker than to move to a larger house.

Have you listened to it with either the front port open or the rear port open? How do you switch between the ports? Is there a plug you need to take out? Are there little bolts?

The Cantata is not ported so that is one major difference between the two models.

Reactions: Down Under

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Do you own a pair? What do you like about them?

The funny thing is that I listened to a pair back in New York in 2018 and posted some comments on here.

I’d have to find a used pair, as they’re no longer being produced and I’d have to sell the Cantatas, get them put in their shipping crates, and get them shipped out.

This is no small feat, as I have done it many times, moving around New York City and then out of town.

Oh, well, I’ll have to content myself with getting my Colosseum out of the repair shop and listening to my “new” Pandora preamp before I make a move on the speaker front.
I don’t own them,but have heard them.Hard to beat in a small room if you like the Cantata’s which are in themselves very good speakers .I have Pantheon’s so know the house sound quite well.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I don’t own them,but have heard them.Hard to beat in a small room if you like the Cantata’s which are in themselves very good speakers .I have Pantheon’s so know the house sound quite well.
How big a room would I need for the Pantheons? What amplifier and preamp are you running?

If I were to get a bigger house, I would make sure it could fit both the Pantheons and a grand piano.

If you don’t have dreams, you just have nightmares.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I Listened in Munchen 2023 to Gryphon EOS 5 Speakers kind of a Monitor like speaker but 3 ways for the size and the price very charming speaker!

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I Listened in Munchen 2023 to Gryphon EOS 5 Speakers kind of a Monitor like speaker but 3 ways for the size and the price very charming speaker!

Would the EOS 5 be too much speaker for a relatively small room?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I think it’s perfect for small rooms!

I worry about bass overhang. Should I?

My current listening area is small but there is a dining room off to one side and the speakers fire into a staircase. The staircase makes my house kind of like a horn speaker and allows for the stereo to be heard quite clearly on the second floor.

Here is a picture from the stairs:

IMG_4574.jpeg

and here is the dining room off to one side:

IMG_0059.jpeg

Perhaps the EOS5 would work in my space.

Reactions: TechnicalPie

Laurusri

Nov 14, 2022

Hi Amadeus,

Only EOS2 was in Munich, EOS5 was shown for the first time only in Hong Kong, been there in Munich.

Laurusri

Nov 14, 2022
I worry about bass overhang. Should I?

My current listening area is small but there is a dining room off to one side and the speakers fire into a staircase. The staircase makes my house kind of like a horn speaker and allows for the stereo to be heard quite clearly on the second floor.

Here is a picture from the stairs:

View attachment 115911

and here is the dining room off to one side:

View attachment 115913

Perhaps the EOS5 would work in my space.
Hi Larry,

My room is 3.5x5.5m2, the ceiling is 3m high, also connected to a room of similar size as you can see in the picture.
The speaker is 30 cm away from the wall, the amount of bass you can get from the speaker is huge, at least in my room, the bass is not boomy or overemphasized compared to the rest of the music spectrum.
Looking at the technical specifications of Cantata and EOS2, I think you will be pleasantly surprised in terms of the bass area.
Cantata, 37Hz without Q correction
EOS2, 26Hz -3dB WhatsApp Image 2023-08-31 at 12.17.01(1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-08-31 at 12.17.01.jpeg

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Well, you have one of those dog bass traps to absorb the bass, I don’t have one of those. :)

We do have similar sized listening areas. I’m surprised that you say you are getting huge bass out of such small speakers. How is this possible?

My wife would love for my speakers to be moved back. I had to fight to put them where they are but it has worked out. Nobody has tipped them over yet.

I wish I could trial the EOS2 to see if they truly outperform the Cantatas. I do have the Q controller, though, and wonder how much of a difference it makes.

I don’t think anybody has heard the EOS5 yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Laurusri

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Well, you have one of those dog bass traps to absorb the bass, I don’t have one of those. :)
The dog woofing increases the bass output ;) No wonder Laurus has so much easy bass....:D

• Haha
Reactions: LarryK and Laurusri

Laurusri

Nov 14, 2022

We do have similar sized listening areas. I’m surprised that you say you are getting huge bass out of such small speakers. How is this possible?

My wife would love for my speakers to be moved back. I had to fight to put them where they are but it has worked out. Nobody has tipped them over yet.

I wish I could trial the EOS2 to see if they truly outperform the Cantatas. I do have the Q controller, though, and wonder how much of a difference it makes.

I don’t think anybody has heard the EOS5 yet.
Not one bass trap, but 2 pieces;).

In terms of speaker placement, your wife might be very pleased, as one of the main features of the EOS2 speakers is their placement close to the rear wall.

I tried placing them 50 cm forward like the other speakers but it just didn't sound right as in the current position, I would say they need to be close to the back wall to show the maximum of what they can do.

During the presentation in Munich Mr. Skov has always emphasized that the EOS 2 is designed for small rooms and placement close to the back wall, and in the manual you can find the inscription Near-Wall Loudspeaker on the first page.

The only way to find out what the EOS2 is like is to listen to it in your living room, just be careful and let your wife choose the colour, because I doubt you'll be taking it back to the dealer .
:)

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Not one bass trap, but 2 pieces;).

In terms of speaker placement, your wife might be very pleased, as one of the main features of the EOS2 speakers is their placement close to the rear wall.

I tried placing them 50 cm forward like the other speakers but it just didn't sound right as in the current position, I would say they need to be close to the back wall to show the maximum of what they can do.

During the presentation in Munich Mr. Skov has always emphasized that the EOS 2 is designed for small rooms and placement close to the back wall, and in the manual you can find the inscription Near-Wall Loudspeaker on the first page.

The only way to find out what the EOS2 is like is to listen to it in your living room, just be careful and let your wife choose the colour, because I doubt you'll be taking it back to the dealer .
:)

The trouble is that I have placed all of my furniture to get the Cantatas off of the back wall, lol. I don’t think I have any openings that would allow me to put the speakers close to the back wall.

Can I assume that the EOS5s would be placed farther from the back wall?

I’m going to have to hold off on any moves until I get my Colosseum back and run with the “new” Pandora.

I’m not sure I’ll ever make my wife happy as I have been dragging around 500lbs of stereo gear through many moves.

Here is a picture looking from the stereo into the dining room so you get a sense of the space.

IMG_5769.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing