Hint of new Magico products

coopersark

May 24, 2013
My speculation is that Magico will revamp the entire Q line with the new tweeter from the M Project. This will reestablish the Q7 as their flagship speaker, already having slightly superior bass to the M Project but now with the same tweeter. Perhaps slight crossover adjustments for the new tweeter. I wonder if the outrigger feet will find their way into the Q line. They seem to add stability and easier leveling adjustability to the M Project.

If I may add, Magico will be utilizing a form of their midrange/tweeter sub enclosure in the revamped Q line that they first used in their S3 loudspeaker. This is per a conversation that I had with Alon over the summer when I had auditioned the S3's. When? I do not know.

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
My speculation is that Magico will revamp the entire Q line with the new tweeter from the M Project. This will reestablish the Q7 as their flagship speaker, already having slightly superior bass to the M Project but now with the same tweeter. Perhaps slight crossover adjustments for the new tweeter. I wonder if the outrigger feet will find their way into the Q line. They seem to add stability and easier leveling adjustability to the M Project.

I remember reading somewhere that Magico speakers are stable enough to not topple during an earthquake, I wandered how he could say this without outriggers, now we see them proliferating throughout the line.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

It is going to be a Q7 mk 2 with indeed a new midrange/tweeter and new xovers. The mark 2 is going to be much more expensive than the mk 1. If my info is correct, add about 100k.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Wow. At close to $300k, that will be one expensive speaker.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Not going to disclose the source. Every reason to believe it is completely reliable though. Wait and you will see.

Reliable sources have names. We shall see. It is amazing - a 100K price increase! That number keeps the current Q7 customers happy and makes it harder, or now even impossible, for others to aspire to this vaunted model. I own the Q5's and love them. When I saw Alon this past summer, we had discussed his M project loudspeakers and their feasibility in my smaller listening room. I then had commented that by my not buying them was like being paid 130K to live with my Q5's!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Reliable sources have names. We shall see. It is amazing - a 100K price increase! That number keeps the current Q7 customers happy and makes it harder, or now even impossible, for others to aspire to this vaunted model. I own the Q5's and love them. When I saw Alon this past summer, we had discussed his M project loudspeakers and their feasibility in my smaller listening room. I then had commented that by my not buying them was like being paid 130K to live with my Q5's![/

Q7 owners will be given the opportunity to update to mk 2 status. According to my source this update costs about the same as the price difference between the Q7 mk 1 and Q7 mk 2, that is around 100k.

number95

May 14, 2014
It is going to be a Q7 mk 2 with indeed a new midrange/tweeter and new xovers. The mark 2 is going to be much more expensive than the mk 1. If my info is correct, add about 100k.

I do not buy the argument that only xover and drivers make a 100k difference for mkII status unless the enclosure is being seriously revised. Unless the source is known, that looks like a fantasy. My two cents of course...

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I remember reading somewhere that Magico speakers are stable enough to not topple during an earthquake, I wandered how he could say this without outriggers, now we see them proliferating throughout the line.

Magico cannot defy physics. It is all about centre of gravity and the distance between CG and pivot point. I highly doubt that magico speakers cannot be toppled by earthquake given the width of the speaker.

Last edited:

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I do not buy the argument that only xover and drivers make a 100k difference for mkII status unless the enclosure is being seriously revised. Unless the source is known, that looks like a fantasy. My two cents of course...

changing the drivers will probably require a new face plate. But I am with you on 100k price increase on a MK2 being very unlikely...

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
changing the drivers will probably require a new face plate. But I am with you on 100k price increase on a MK2 being very unlikely...

Well gentleman/sceptics, let's see what the future will bring in this regard ....

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My interpretation of all this is that the Q3's recent price increase on Jan 1 was done so that the subsequent MkII version's further increase won't shock people as much. Or in other words, good-bye Magico for me, I may be lucky to get a used Q3, and time to seriously look at Giya.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I don't hold the S5 in high regard like other audiophiles, when it comes to accuracy (transparency to sources).

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I don't hold the S5 in high regard like other audiophiles, when it comes to accuracy (transparency to sources).

It may not be a Q3, but it is better than anything else out there beside the Q, and for the price it is unbeatable. It also measures better than just about any other loudspeaker, including the Q3. Maybe you should revisit. Beggars (me included) can’t be choosers and Giyas are certainly not the answer ;)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I shall be reporting on Giya driven by Spectral soon... Unlike many, I am not married to any one company or technology, but I think I do have an eye for good engineering, if not ear for accurate sound; I am only loyal to my money and ears.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Looks are great, but I am already used to hideous-looking speakers, but not as dramatic as the Giya. We are thinking of selling our place, and all agents we have talked to basically say the same thing: what are you going to do about R2D2:D Regardless, at the end of the day, we do all hear with our ears.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing