Horn based system from southern coast of Turkey

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
A week ago or two, I listened to @Tango 's video which he shot from the side of his room. It still sounded good enough to let you know, he has good sound all over. This led me to try and shoot a quick video from the side of the room, really off axis and closer too. I was enjoying the mono LP of Billie Holiday and I just flipped it and shoot for a while . Enjoy this fun experiment and please do not get hung up on video quality! It is purely for enjoyment.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Here is a video comparison of Miyabi Fuuga/Kuzma 4 point/Kuzma Stabi M/Channel D Lino C 3.3 vs Sony PS X9/Sony Pua 9/Transrotor phono 8-mc sym

1. Fuuga/Kuzma

2. Sony

I don't know how it translates to iphone videos but Fuuga/Kuzma has more extension, more detail, soloist a little distant but overall more dynamic and refined sound. Sony has a more forward soloist, thicker tone less macro dynamics and detail but has enjoyable character . I think this is mostly to do with the cartridges and preamps more so than turntables. Just to tell anyone interested, the measurements I have done via analog magik v2 shows much better results for Fuuga than xl55. It has about 7db's higher separation, and perfect channel balance. When msl headshell arrives, I will record Fuuga/Sony to hear the difference.

Attachments

• martzy.jpg
    martzy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5730.jpg
    IMG_5730.jpg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Here is a video comparison of Miyabi Fuuga/Kuzma 4 point/Kuzma Stabi M/Channel D Lino C 3.3 vs Sony PS X9/Sony Pua 9/Transrotor phono 8-mc sym

1. Fuuga/Kuzma

2. Sony

I don't know how it translates to iphone videos but Fuuga/Kuzma has more extension, more detail, soloist a little distant but overall more dynamic and refined sound. Sony has a more forward soloist, thicker tone less macro dynamics and detail but has enjoyable character . I think this is mostly to do with the cartridges and preamps more so than turntables. Just to tel anyone interested know that the measurements I have done via analog magik v2 shows much better results for Fuuga than xl55. It has about 7db's higher seperation, perfect an perfect channel balance. When msl headshell arrives, I will record Fuuga/Sony to hear the difference.

thanks. If you listen back to your own videos how does it differ or align to your in room observation

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
thanks. If you listen back to your own videos how does it differ or align to your in room observation
I think the videos succeed to reflect the character of differences. The low mids sound more powerful and everything a lot more congested etc. but I guess that is expected from a phone microphone. The videos do not ali like the system but they show the same differences between them that I am hearing just to a different extent. This shows to me that these videos are not representative of the sound itself but can still be used to hear about the differences if they are recorded at the same place in same conditions.

So to answer you, the differences align with the videos but the individual sounds do not.

ps.Somehow Sony sounds better with iphone and is captured closer to its sound than the fuuga/kuzma

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok your ps answers it. I preferred the Sony on the video, more balanced and stable sounding, though I agree the Fuuga sounds more extended

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Yes, that shure is fun, I tried a similar one (zoom) to actually record a quartet for their promo video that they had to deliver on the spot. I have an actual music studio and an array of microphones but I never recorded my system through those and never needed to or find a reason for.

Here on this forum, everyone records via smart phones so there is at least a commonality and I like the fun aspect. I do these recording while I am listening to music, no elaborate setups etc. I still note on the videos I publish that these videos are not for evaluating sound quality.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Ok your ps answers it. I preferred the Sony on the video, more balanced and stable sounding, though I agree the Fuuga sounds more extended
I can record through the day different kind of music, orchestral, jazz vocal etc. that may give more pieces for the puzzle :)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Here is a modern vocal recording. Dominique Fils-Aime's Birds from the album nameless.

1. Fuuga/Kuzma

2. Sony

Once more I have to note that, in my room Fuuga/Kuzma sounds better to me.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Here is a classical choice from Prokofiev's Love for three oranges. The marche is playing. The pressing is ORG 45rpm reissue.

1. Fuuga/Kuzma

2. Sony

Listening live, Fuuga/Kuzma is the clear winner in my room.

Attachments

• IMG_5757.jpg
    IMG_5757.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: tima

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
here is raw Prince with his funk band the rainbow children

Fuuga/Kuzma

Sony

Reactions: djsina2

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I mounted the Miyajima Madake on The Sony.

Attachments

• 69192FA6-E8FA-43AC-A226-F1348C8760AE.jpeg
    69192FA6-E8FA-43AC-A226-F1348C8760AE.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 5

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The one video I preferred the Kuzma Fuuga was the Prokofiev

Reactions: Argonaut

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Here is a good example of different pressings sounding different. This is the Japanese Pressing of David Bowie's Hunky Dory. I always felt (nothing else) that this pressing sounds closer to what they heard at the mixing booth. It gives me that feeling of the band listening back sitting behind the mixing console...

The record is played through Miyabi Fuuga on a Kuzma 4 point mounten on a Kuzma Stabi M. Amplified by Channel D Lino C 3.3 into an iCon 4 Pro Silver balanced pre and 4 way custom horn speakers are driven by Line Magnetic 503 pa's and the bass arrays are driven by Rythmik/GR Rsearch class AB servo amps.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Love the Delmark records master tape copy of Hoodoo Man Blues!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Love the Delmark records master tape copy of Hoodoo Man Blues!

Fantastic album! Have the APO SACD remaster of this one. Meanwhile, I have to say your system is inspirational. As someone who knows very little about horns but looks forward to hearing a system in person that really hits the mark the way many horn'philes describe, I find your system along with a few others here most intriguing. Among many here where I am no doubt forgetting some off hand, PeterA, Tango and DDK come to mind.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Fantastic album! Have the APO SACD remaster of this one. Meanwhile, I have to say your system is inspirational. As someone who knows very little about horns but looks forward to hearing a system in person that really hits the mark the way many horn'philes describe, I find your system along with a few others here most intriguing. Among many here where I am no doubt forgetting some off hand, PeterA, Tango and DDK come to mind.
If you ever decide to visit this side of the world, you are more than welcome to come down and listen to some great music!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If you ever decide to visit this side of the world, you are more than welcome to come down and listen to some great music!
Thank you very much!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing