How Apple's phantom taxes hide billions in profit

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, no problem Tim :).

Looks like Apple sneezed a bit in this quarter with iPhone results. Stock is down 5%. They have a lot of wind behind them assuming next quarter will be a good one when iPhone 5 comes out.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Ah, no problem Tim :).

Looks like Apple sneezed a bit in this quarter with iPhone results. Stock is down 5%. They have a lot of wind behind them assuming next quarter will be a good one when iPhone 5 comes out.

I'm afraid the wind behind them may be shorter than it has been in a long time. There's a backlog of product development and a focus, now, mostly in generational improvements on existing breakthroughs. When it's time to do, again, what has got them where they are -- take a promising underdeveloped technology a huge leap forward in utility, ease of use and consumer appeal, take over a category then grow it massively -- I wonder if they can do it without the kind of driven, focused leadership they had under Jobs. The guy had his issues, but the systemic mediocrity of the publicly-traded company was not on the short list. He ran a corp with the vision, focus and risk of a sole proprietorship.

Not something most CEOs can pull off.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is already changes in that regard where the complete secrecy is gone with hints of new products and such.

There is also the thing that caught up with Microsoft which was the law of large numbers. There can't be exponential growth year after year forever.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yet once the roads crumble or nature (or man) strikes we first look toward the Government ... You think a government will be able to help a growing population facing various and ever more serious threats, growing needs with less or dwindling revenues? Such rhetoric will never cease to amaze me.

I agree with Tim by the way...

Yep. I'm with Tim and Frantz. But I've never been clear on what freedoms the govt. is taking away from me or Europeans for that matter. Just got back from Scandanavia and they seem a pretty happy, prosperous bunch despite higher corporate taxes and the like.

As for Apple and growth, we'll see. Smartphone market still has a lot of growth left here and globally as do tablets apparently. People tend to turn these devices over with much greater frequency than, say, computers too. And with increasing iCloud integration across all devices (the biggest part of Mountain Lion along w/eased sharing), the ecosystem keeps getting stickier.

We'll see what they come up with in the TV space as well. Apple has has a disproportionately high percentage of the educational and 14 - 22 yo mkt. which bodes well for future growth too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing