How big is your room? W' x L' x H'

I am fortunate to have a basement ceiling at 11'. You don't often see that!

Would love a basement, unfortunately not in California.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Bump.

Any newcomers or those that haven't contributed are welcome to do so.

Thanks,
Dre

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
RonR room.jpg

My room currently is 17.5' wide, 25' long and 14' high. It is a dedicated space but not a closed-off, simple, rectangular room. The floor is wood planks over concrete slab.

I have two large, very long shag area rugs with natural fiber pad underneath, one going from behind the amplifiers (which are behind the speakers) to the front wall, and one going from in front of the speakers to in front of the listening position. This leaves a rectangle of exposed wood floor underneath the amplifiers and the speakers and the subwoofer. (I find it much easier to move the equipment around on a wood floor.)

The front wall is untreated sheetrock. The speakers are about 7' in front of the front wall. I have Martin-Logan Prodigys and I prefer not to absorb or diffuse the rear wave.

The rear wall is a pair of glass patio doors with drapes over them. In front of the drapes and right behind the listening position I have two 4' wide X 8' high ASC panels, which basically create a new wall. I believe in using absorption if the listening position is right up against a wall.

Front the front wall, the right side wall is sheetrock for about two-thirds of its length, and then the last third, to the right of the listening position, opens into an adjacent room, about 10' wide and 25' long, in which I have located the turntable and phono pre-amp and LP storage. This set-up means that I pretty much sacrificed this adjacent room for any other use, but I like that the turntable is completely out of the line of fire of the speakers.

From the front wall, the left side wall is 1/3 bookshelves, then it opens to a narrow hallway to the left (which is to the left of the left speaker), then there is a narrow wall with an electrical panel, and then the last half of the room toward the listening position is open to my kitchen.

I know that such a high ceiling is considered to be sub-optimal according to Golden Ratio theory, but I have had my current system set up previously in two other rooms, one with an 8' ceiling, and the other with a 9' ceiling and, maybe it is my imagination, but I really think the high ceiling creates a volume of space which allows the speakers to breathe and sound more realistic.

I have 16" round X 13.5' tall ASC tube traps in the front corners of the room and in the center of the front wall. I have a phalanx of ASC Tower Slims to absorb the first reflection (to deal with the fact that there is sheetrock to the right of the right speaker, and an open hallway to the left of the left speaker).

I am considering removing the bookshelves which would effectively increase the width of the entire room by two feet, to 19.5' wide. According to one room dimensions acoustic analysis calculator increasing the width of the room by two feet increases some theoretical acoustical problems (I think because increasing the width would make the room more square) but I cannot help thinking that the extra two feet of practical width would be beneficial, and that any theoretical disadvantage would be ironed out with the room treatment.

The entire front of my house, as well as the listening room, is undergoing extensive repairs. I am going to use this unfortunate mess as an opportunity to install a Torus RM100 BAL and completely treat the room as advised by an acoustic consultant.

All comments and suggestions are very welcome!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    685.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
View attachment 21046

My room currently is 17.5' wide, 25' long and 14' high. It is a dedicated space but not a closed-off, simple, rectangular room. The floor is wood planks over concrete slab.

I have two large, very long shag area rugs with natural fiber pad underneath, one going from behind the amplifiers (which are behind the speakers) to the front wall, and one going from in front of the speakers to in front of the listening position. This leaves a rectangle of exposed wood floor underneath the amplifiers and the speakers and the subwoofer. (I find it much easier to move the equipment around on a wood floor.)

The front wall is untreated sheetrock. The speakers are about 7' in front of the front wall. I have Martin-Logan Prodigys and I prefer not to absorb or diffuse the rear wave.

The rear wall is a pair of glass patio doors with drapes over them. In front of the drapes and right behind the listening position I have two 4' wide X 8' high ASC panels, which basically create a new wall. I believe in using absorption if the listening position is right up against a wall.

Front the front wall, the right side wall is sheetrock for about two-thirds of its length, and then the last third, to the right of the listening position, opens into an adjacent room, about 10' wide and 25' long, in which I have located the turntable and phono pre-amp and LP storage. This set-up means that I pretty much sacrificed this adjacent room for any other use, but I like that the turntable is completely out of the line of fire of the speakers.

From the front wall, the left side wall is 1/3 bookshelves, then it opens to a narrow hallway to the left (which is to the left of the left speaker), then there is a narrow wall with an electrical panel, and then the last half of the room toward the listening position is open to my kitchen.

I know that such a high ceiling is considered to be sub-optimal according to Golden Ratio theory, but I have had my current system set up previously in two other rooms, one with an 8' ceiling, and the other with a 9' ceiling and, maybe it is my imagination, but I really think the high ceiling creates a volume of space which allows the speakers to breathe and sound more realistic.

I have 16" round X 13.5' tall ASC tube traps in the front corners of the room and in the center of the front wall. I have a phalanx of ASC Tower Slims to absorb the first reflection (to deal with the fact that there is sheetrock to the right of the right speaker, and an open hallway to the left of the left speaker).

I am considering removing the bookshelves which would effectively increase the width of the entire room by two feet, to 19.5' wide. According to one room dimensions acoustic analysis calculator increasing the width of the room by two feet increases some theoretical acoustical problems (I think because increasing the width would make the room more square) but I cannot help thinking that the extra two feet of practical width would be beneficial, and that any theoretical disadvantage would be ironed out with the room treatment.

The entire front of my house, as well as the listening room, is undergoing extensive repairs. I am going to use this unfortunate mess as an opportunity to install a Torus RM100 BAL and completely treat the room as advised by an acoustic consultant.

All comments and suggestions are very welcome!

Golden ratio is an ideal starting point but there are many other contributing factors in the listening space. I like high ceilings, 14' one is great to have and your overall dimensions are pretty good. Not having been there I know nothing more about your room but I do know about dipoles and ML speakers. If your room is problematic then ML's will make it even more so. I've had better success setting up the Prodigy's for nearfiled listening than far, though the bass is still a problem with this speaker, it will be a compromise. Good acousticians don't come cheap and implementation may be pretty costly. To optimize your room acoustics he/she should be familiar with the MLs and if you do that you're spending all your money for a product that's fundamentally flawed. A friendly suggestion, you'll have much better results and an easier time spending your money on a good pair of dynamic or horn speakers.

david

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear David,

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I appreciate your suggestion on the MLs.

The Wilson Alexias and the Alexandria XLFs are dynamic speakers I could live with happily. But I cannot bear to give up what is to me the ultimate midrange transparency of the MLs, especially if I upgrade to the Neoliths. (I concede readily that the Alexias and the XLFs have made me realize just how much I am giving up in dynamics, among other attributes, to retain that ultimate degree of transparency I feel I have with the MLs.)

Thank you, again!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear David,

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I appreciate your suggestion on the MLs.

The Wilson Alexias and the Alexandria XLFs are dynamic speakers I could live with happily. But I cannot bear to give up what is to me the ultimate midrange transparency of the MLs, especially if I upgrade to the Neoliths. (I concede readily that the Alexias and the XLFs have made me realize just how much I am giving up in dynamics, among other attributes, to retain that ultimate degree of transparency I feel I have with the MLs.)

Thank you, again!

Dear Ron,

The Neolith's are really just another version of the same. You can change some of the qualities and balance but in the end you can't change the nature of the beast. You're locked in to ML's basic design and its complications. The Wilsons' have the same transparency as the ML, if not more, the difference is in their presentation. With ML, you notice it more because the mids are in your face, top & bottom are rolled off, they can't get the sound to mesh any other way. Speakers like the Wilsons have a more balanced top to bottom approach without drawing too much attention to any particular area. You have some very capable amplifiers with a broadened outlook you'll find other good speakers. JBL's been making some of the best speakers for decades, take a look at their K2 series starting with the S9800 from the 90's to the latest Everest DD67000, you have many fantastic speakers there. Just avoid demoing them with their Mark Levinson electronics!

david

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
My room currently is 17.5' wide, 25' long and 14' high. It is a dedicated space but not a closed-off, simple, rectangular room. The floor is wood planks over concrete slab...

Ron,

Thanks for contributing to the post and adding additional information.

Dre

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear David,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have enjoyed ML speakers for 27 years. Respectfully, I just do not find them to sound beastly. : )

I believe I perceive a slightly more "see-through" transparency with the MLs than I do with the Wilsons. That is why I am unwilling to give up on MLs. (I had a wild, weekend affair with a passionate German at T.H.E. Show last month (MBL 101E Mk IIs) but when I woke up on Monday morning I was not ready to divorce my MLs.)

I agree with you that the Alexias and the XLFs are very balanced, top to bottom.

Thank you, again!

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
With my anticipated move out west I will finally have a listening room and dedicated power lines.But now that I viewed ddk (David) room and components I want to move to his home.
David, masterfully done

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Ron,

The Neolith's are really just another version of the same. You can change some of the qualities and balance but in the end you can't change the nature of the beast. You're locked in to ML's basic design and its complications. The Wilsons' have the same transparency as the ML, if not more, the difference is in their presentation. With ML, you notice it more because the mids are in your face, top & bottom are rolled off, they can't get the sound to mesh any other way. Speakers like the Wilsons have a more balanced top to bottom approach without drawing too much attention to any particular area. You have some very capable amplifiers with a broadened outlook you'll find other good speakers. JBL's been making some of the best speakers for decades, take a look at their K2 series starting with the S9800 from the 90's to the latest Everest DD67000, you have many fantastic speakers there. Just avoid demoing them with their Mark Levinson electronics!

david

Hi David, at all shows, I found the K2s very coherent top to bottom. Unfortunately all of them were with the Levinson, and they sounded too dry and I have been wishing to get a proper low watt valve demo

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear David,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have enjoyed ML speakers for 27 years. Respectfully, I just do not find them to sound beastly. : )

I believe I perceive a slightly more "see-through" transparency with the MLs than I do with the Wilsons. That is why I am unwilling to give up on MLs. (I had a wild, weekend affair with a passionate German at T.H.E. Show last month (MBL 101E Mk IIs) but when I woke up on Monday morning I was not ready to divorce my MLs.)

I agree with you that the Alexias and the XLFs are very balanced, top to bottom.

Thank you, again!

Dear Ron,

If the love runs that deep, enjoy it! And best of luck with your project!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
With my anticipated move out west I will finally have a listening room and dedicated power lines.But now that I viewed ddk (David) room and components I want to move to his home.
David, masterfully done

I don't know about moving in but you're always welcome to visit goldeneraguy :)! Thanks for the kind words, I assume we're both talking about same Golden Era.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David, at all shows, I found the K2s very coherent top to bottom. Unfortunately all of them were with the Levinson, and they sounded too dry and I have been wishing to get a proper low watt valve demo

Current Harman electronics are horrible for the most part and probably the worst match possible for the K2s. All nasality and harshness you here is from the Levinson electronics. As far as low powered goes, post S9500 all of them need some juice. A healthy 30w to 50w/channel recommended.

david

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, David! : )

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
I don't know about moving in but you're always welcome to visit goldeneraguy :)! Thanks for the kind words, I assume we're both talking about same Golden Era.

david

Thank you David ,GoldenEra 1950-60's.
Still have cherished Lps from that time.Now if I only had those horn speakers of yours.
Enjoy
Ed

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Room size , 17.75 ' x 28.2 ft x 7.85ft side wall , peaking at 12.5ft

image.jpg
image.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing