How Do Horn Speakers Get Their Gorgeous Life-like Tonality?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
How good are the Universum ?
VERY good ;)
Where are you from?
Maybe you could visit a dealer, the manufacturer or even a prowd owner...

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Northern France. None to my knowledge. Contradicting some here, I find my Voxativ very homogeneous and musical. I had the FP10 before, that were very boxy.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Northern France. None to my knowledge. Contradicting some here, I find my Voxativ very homogeneous and musical. I had the FP10 before, that were very boxy.

The Universums are VERY transparent and not boxy or shouty AT ALL :D
I'm very far away from you.
Where did you buy your FP10? No chance to listen to the Unis there?

Last edited:

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
I briefly had the FP10 as a loan from a dealer in Luxemburg. Of course, when I received the Voxativ, it was quite another world. In my system, the Voxativ are quite natural, and a friend of mine who's running very large JBL found the Voxativ had the most beautiful bass he ever heard. Still, I'm trying to find something larger for big orchestras (think Mahler et alii).

Reactions: mountainjoe

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I briefly had the FP10 as a loan from a dealer in Luxemburg. Of course, when I received the Voxativ, it was quite another world. In my system, the Voxativ are quite natural, and a friend of mine who's running very large JBL found the Voxativ had the most beautiful bass he ever heard. Still, I'm trying to find something larger for big orchestras (think Mahler et alii).

Hey, which voxativ model was it? An alternative, although more expensive, would be the AER Pnoe if you like the single driver approach with no boxiness.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Hey, which voxativ model was it? An alternative, although more expensive, would be the AER Pnoe if you like the single driver approach with no boxiness.
Hello, Bill,
These are the Ampeggio Signature, the speakers I currently run and intend to sell to find a more ample soundstage.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Single drivers simply won't do orchestra like a big multi-way speaker IME.

I've heard many single drivers and prefer them, in fact I have a horn-loaded single driver myself, and I'd say playing large scale music is not what it's best at. It's not horrible as the driver is relieved of it's bass duties and is augmented by a tweeter, but it's not as good as a large multi-way speaker. I've heard most single drivers and don't think it's going to work out well with any of them.

Voxativ are nice... but if you haven't heard AER they are better imo. ;)

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hello, Bill,
These are the Ampeggio Signature, the speakers I currently run and intend to sell to find a more ample soundstage.

Hi,

They are good speakers the Ampeggio Signature. If you have budget, give the Pnoe an audition because they essentially build on what you have *a lot* with enormous staging if you are after that. Just be cautious losing the flow and integration of bass and treble if you move away from the single driver topology.

Enjoy.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'm not sure how Voxativ compares with Zu, but would agree that Zu FRD was not good for classical. My listening has gone from 5% to 30% when I went back to a normal dynamic driver speaker.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Single drivers simply won't do orchestra like a big multi-way speaker IME.

I've heard many single drivers and prefer them, in fact I have a horn-loaded single driver myself, and I'd say playing large scale music is not what it's best at. It's not horrible as the driver is relieved of it's bass duties and is augmented by a tweeter, but it's not as good as a large multi-way speaker. I've heard most single drivers and don't think it's going to work out well with any of them.
I know. Reason why I'm chasing something else. That said, with some records (Herbert Kegel edition with symphonies by Mahler or Beethoven for instance), the Voxativ have quite a large scene thanks to the depth of the Zanden. So far the large multi-ways I've heard were not convincing, not true to life. Gryphon Pantheon, for instance, which I found bass-bloated and artificial.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Hi,

They are good speakers the Ampeggio Signature. If you have budget, give the Pnoe an audition because they essentially build on what you have *a lot* with enormous staging if you are after that. Just be cautious losing the flow and integration of bass and treble if you move away from the single driver topology.

Enjoy.
Thank you, Bill. The Pnoe are out of my range. Maybe the Universum…

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you, Bill. The Pnoe are out of my range. Maybe the Universum…

Hi,

I haven’t heard the new version of the uni so can’t comment. Not sure what amps you have but they do need a bit of juice rather than flea power.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Hi,

I haven’t heard the new version of the uni so can’t comment. Not sure what amps you have but they do need a bit of juice rather than flea power.
Zanden 6000 has a lot of it.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I know. Reason why I'm chasing something else. That said, with some records (Herbert Kegel edition with symphonies by Mahler or Beethoven for instance), the Voxativ have quite a large scene thanks to the depth of the Zanden. So far the large multi-ways I've heard were not convincing, not true to life. Gryphon Pantheon, for instance, which I found bass-bloated and artificial.
You are welcome to come to Switzerland to hear Dynamikks. We currently have two models available for demo , the Monitor 12.18 , which is pretty good sized and 96db sensitivity and Monitor 10SL, which is 93db passive or 97db half-active.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
You are welcome to come to Switzerland to hear Dynamikks. We currently have two models available for demo , the Monitor 12.18 , which is pretty good sized and 96db sensitivity and Monitor 10SL, which is 93db passive or 97db half-active.
Thank you for your kind invitation. Who knows, I might find some time to do that. I must admit Christoph's Universums are also itching my cochlea.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thank you for your kind invitation. Whio knows, I might find some time to do that. I must admit Christoph's Universums are also itching my cochlea.

Brad lives about 90 minutes away from me.
Why not do a double feature :cool:

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Goodness Me. It seems 2019 will be a rich year.

At my place I can also show you the Odeon 38/2 or the Living Voice Air Scout horns and some dipoles if you like. See my signature for more info ;)

Last edited:

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Zurich being the nearest airport, I gather.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Zurich being the nearest airport, I gather.
Indeed.
And the best part: Brad lives rather close to that airport ;):cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing