How do you clean your stylus?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
https://www.analogmagik.com/

They have three basic cartridge setup tutorials, and ten video tutorials on cartridge alignment parameters. That doesn't include stylus clean up, albums clean up, foundation (base), anti-vibration table devices, and the billion of other things important to proper vinyl playback.
It's like being a professional mechanic for hi-end cars...Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Rolls Royce ...

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I use onzow for years, and some very fine brushes. I check with a magnifying glass with led lights before playing each side.

Is there as difference between onzow and ds audio st50? I am going to renew my onzow and if st50 has anything more to offer I can rather go for that.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
kodomo I like the DS Audio ST-50 for the low profile, I just place it on the platter lower the arm / cartridge onto it a few times and it’s done. With the profile and shape of the onznow, you need to bring the onznow to the cartridge and I think that is an accident waiting to happen.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Dealer tells me that the brush is made up of very small loops. I don't think it looks that way, but he is certain. :confused:

Interesting. My friend has a microscope, I'll have to check this out. Obviously this would make the AT cleaner unusable.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
kodomo I like the DS Audio ST-50 for the low profile, I just place it on the platter lower the arm / cartridge onto it a few times and it’s done. With the profile and shape of the onznow, you need to bring the onznow to the cartridge and I think that is an accident waiting to happen.

Thank you for sharing! I've used the Zerodust with no issues but I dislike the ergonomics of the "bubble." Ive ordered the DS Audio ST-50 from Elusive Disk. I'll report back.

Reactions: kodomo

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I used the Onzow for my ripping project. I cleaned the stylus (Lyra Skala) about 20,000 times (ripping 10,000 records) with no damage to the stylus. Probably more than most people. In addition I cleaned the stylus everyday with Lyra Stylus Cleaner liquid and brush.

Larry

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I used the Onzow for my ripping project. I cleaned the stylus (Lyra Skala) about 20,000 times (ripping 10,000 records) with no damage to the stylus. Probably more than most people. In addition I cleaned the stylus everyday with Lyra Stylus Cleaner liquid and brush.

Larry

Every high end cartridge is hand made. You wonder if reports of the Onzow damaging cartridges is not a function of the Onzow, but a manufacturing defect of the cartridge.

Larry you have probably put the Onzow to the ultimate test.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Larry

Larry,

So you have never been persuaded by the alleged concern that the liquid cleaner can migrate its way up the cantilever?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Kedar, then we can just listen to music!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Does the Lyra liquid also have the same reputation as the Last cleaner?
I hope not, as that is what I am using now.

What are the “issues” with the Last cleaner?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The reputation for the LAST cleaner is that it migrates up the cantilever and dries out the suspension. I have not had that experience, but that's the rep.

So people who claim this must think it is a function of the actual fluid vs. using any liquid? I wonder how much experimenting they have done. Hopefully enough to confirm this claim.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Larry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"Clean your stylus tip regularly with a good stylus cleaning fluid and brush. How often, depends on how clean your records are. There are a number of proprietary fluids on the market but steer well clear of anything containing isopropanol alcohol, as this can slowly dissolve the glue holding the stylus needle into the cantilever (depending on the brand of cartridge). Be careful to use a fairly flexible brush and always pull the brush along the stylus in the same direction the record travels. Also use fluid sparingly as it can degrade the rubber suspension inside the cartridge if applied too liberally."

"The idea here is to bathe the tip of the stylus in a liquid which will dissolve the offending gunge into solution which is then absorbed by the cotton bud. The cotton bud must be very gently dabbed vertically on to the stylus without causing the stylus any horizontal movement (no movement from side to side or forwards and backwards) and virtually no vertical movement. L’Art du Son record cleaning fluid is good for this but there are many other alternatives, such as Last or Lyra cleaning fluids.

It’s best to keep all fluids, especially alcohol based, away from the damper rubber or ‘cartridge internals’ as they will deteriorate quicker. Stylus fluid should be used sparingly."

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Larry,

So you have never been persuaded by the alleged concern that the liquid cleaner can migrate its way up the cantilever?

Never had a concern. My stylus lasted over 10,000 record plays (20,000 sides), so I don't think there was any damage. It was the Lyra liquid on a Lyra cartridge.

Larry

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Every high end cartridge is hand made. You wonder if reports of the Onzow damaging cartridges is not a function of the Onzow, but a manufacturing defect of the cartridge.

Larry you have probably put the Onzow to the ultimate test.

Where are all these reports of Onzow damaging carts, anyhow? I see nary a single account across various fora of this Onzow induced cartridge destruction. Are all us Onzow users happily enjoying the sound of our damaged carts, none the wiser?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing