How do you clean your stylus?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Where are all these reports of Onzow damaging carts, anyhow? I see nary a single account across various fora of this Onzow induced cartridge destruction. Are all us Onzow users happily enjoying the sound of our damaged carts, none the wiser?

See jfrech's post #15 above.

BTW, i just opened up a new Onzow today, but I am going to be ultra careful. Certainly the newer the Onzow, the more potential it has for snagging the cantilever, as it seems to lose a bit of its grip as it ages.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
@jfrech what happened? Did the Onzow bend the cantilever? Under what circumstances?

Maybe the ME dip followed by a couple ST-50 dips is a new regimen worth trying. I do like the low profile of the ST-50 which allows the stylus to be lowered into the goo, rather than bringing the goo to the stylus as with the Onzow. But I'm still a bit paranoid about trying the full-on @PeterA ME wiping regimen.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
With my Linn and WTA arm, I can actually lower the stylus onto the Onzow. I would hate to think how much damage you could do with a new Onzow if you had to raise it to the stylus!:eek:

Maybe this aspect is what people are referring to when they claim damage from the Onzow?

Bazelio, I'm with you, I would be paranoid about Peter A's ME regimen. Not for me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I used the Onzow for my ripping project. I cleaned the stylus (Lyra Skala) about 20,000 times (ripping 10,000 records) with no damage to the stylus. Probably more than most people. In addition I cleaned the stylus everyday with Lyra Stylus Cleaner liquid and brush.

Larry

You are very persuasive - just ordered the Onzow Zerodust!

Reactions: jeff1225

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
With my Linn and WTA arm, I can actually lower the stylus onto the Onzow. I would hate to think how much damage you could do with a new Onzow if you had to raise it to the stylus!:eek:

Maybe this aspect is what people are referring to when they claim damage from the Onzow?

I'd expect several reports of damage, but I guess we now have one. Still, I'd like to know how it happened as I've never had a problem despite needing to bring the Onzow to my stylus. With my 4 point, the stylus is already hovering over the platter by the time the arm is completely out of the holder. So any dipping method needs something low profile. Cutting ME strips seems feasible, and this low profile ST-50 does look like a winner. But I'll test it on a cheap cart first haha.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I use a thin microfiber cloth that I fold and drape over the cueing lift when I need extra clearance for a cleaning dip. It’s easy enough and safer than a hand-held dip. Different arms have different lift ranges - my old 64S has a very large range and never needs the extra help.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Bazelio, I'm with you, I would be paranoid about Peter A's ME regimen. Not for me.

Sliding the side of a thin strip of ME seems to exert less pressure on the stylus/cantilever than dragging the stylus through one of those small round stiff bristle brushes that came with my two cartridges. And it seems more effective. I do not dip the stylus into the ME and then drag the ME forward. I am moving it along the left and right sides of the cartridge and also down the back face of the stylus, followed by a dip or two into the Onzow.

I am not encouraging anyone else to use my method, but simply answering the question posed in your OP. The cleaning method does not have to be for you, Davey. I do find it interesting that you went ahead and purchased an Onzow against the advice of your dealer.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sliding the side of a thin strip of ME seems to exert less pressure on the stylus/cantilever than dragging the stylus through one of those small round stiff bristle brushes that came with my two cartridges. And it seems more effective. I do not dip the stylus into the ME and then drag the ME forward. I am moving it along the left and right sides of the cartridge and also down the back face of the stylus, followed by a dip or two into the Onzow.

I am not encouraging anyone else to use my method, but simply answering the question posed in your OP. The cleaning method does not have to be for you, Davey. I do find it interesting that you went ahead and purchased an Onzow against the advice of your dealer.

I’m not sure how you can brush the back and sides of the stylus with your ME brush, the stylus is far too small to accurately do that?

Also, I was using an Onzow previously, and had bought a new one before my dealers ‘advice’. Nonetheless, I don’t take my dealers advice all the time, he has been known to be wrong on occasion. Even admits it on rare occasions, lol.

I suspect that the risk he is talking about is probably far greater with the Onzow if one has to bring it up to the cantilever by hand! Since I am not doing that, I feel a lot more comfortable with the product.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have been using the Onzow for ~ 10 years. Never an issue. I use the Lyra SPT fluid and brush as well.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I used the Onzow for my ripping project. I cleaned the stylus (Lyra Skala) about 20,000 times (ripping 10,000 records) with no damage to the stylus. Probably more than most people. In addition I cleaned the stylus everyday with Lyra Stylus Cleaner liquid and brush.

Larry

Larry, that is an excellent example of long term use. Did you dip the stylus into the Onzow or did you bring the Onzow up to the stylus? I'm curious because the consensus seems to be that the latter is much more potentially risky. I do the latter because my arm does not lift enough to clear the bubble, but I have not had any problems in 7+ years. I play about 1,200 LP sides a year and clean the stylus before each play.

I am thinking about cleaner after each play instead of before each play on the theory that the caked on crud may be more difficult to remove after it has sat on the stylus overnight. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Reactions: bazelio

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I’m not sure how you can brush the back and sides of the stylus with your ME brush, the stylus is far too small to accurately do that?

Also, I was using an Onzow previously, and had bought a new one before my dealers ‘advice’. Nonetheless, I don’t take my dealers advice all the time, he has been known to be wrong on occasion. Even admits it on rare occasions, lol.

I suspect that the risk he is talking about is probably far greater with the Onzow if one has to bring it up to the cantilever by hand! Since I am not doing that, I feel a lot more comfortable with the product.

Davey, You use a question mark in your opening sentence, but I'm not sure if you are asking a question or making a statement.

Either way, this is what I do: I hold the ME at an angle approximately 45 degrees. With this angle, it is very easy to make one or two long strokes along the length of the ME making contact with only the edge of the stylus. I then do the same for the other side. It clears the cantilever and cartridge body. Very simple, actually.

For the back edge, it is a bit tougher, I use the very tip of the ME cut wedge and simple stroke from the bottom of the cantilever where the stylus is mounted down to the tip of the stylus. I make two or three extremely short strokes.

My visitors have seen me do this, so I assume you it is possible.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Peter, I put a question mark there as I don't dispute that you do this, but question you how accurate it can be. You may think differently, but I think that the facets on the stylus are minuscule, and the brush is magnitudes larger. As such, I don't see how you are not actually brushing the whole stylus, regardless of whether you do it from the side, front etc., To that, I would be VERY concerned that when you brush at the back, that you take the risk of damaging the cantilever to stylus connection. This is why the manufacturer's recommend brushing with a brush from the back to the front. While you are brushing the back, any mistake in direction and I think that could be problematic. Nonetheless, since you have used this regimen for years, you are obviously happy with it and it works for you. I don't think it is anything I would want to do.

You also bring up a great point about removing the crud and how often. I remove the crud every single side of the LP, and make sure that at the end of the listening session I do the same thing. I don't want crud on the stylus too long. Now the other day, I had a very stubborn fibre that wasn't getting removed from the cantilever. Partly due I suspect to the fact that it was a little damp from the SPT treatment. So, I left that overnight to dry and was able to successfully remove it the next day with the Onzow.

Did someone say we are crazy with all this stuff!!! Makes one wonder if just using your Ipad to dial in tunes from the server and never having to get out of your chair is such a bad thing, LOL.:eek:

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I am thinking about cleaner after each play instead of before each play on the theory that the caked on crud may be more difficult to remove after it has sat on the stylus overnight. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Like I said before this is what I do, I clean the stylus after every side with DS Audio ST-50 and after every listening session I use the Flux HiFi sonic cleaner.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Like I said before this is what I do, I clean the stylus after every side with DS Audio ST-50 and after every listening session I use the Flux HiFi sonic cleaner.

Have you used the Onzow before? If so, what are your impressions as to the difference in cleaning ability between the Onzow and the DS Audio, if any.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Sorry DaveyF i have never tried it.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
DaveyF it's the low profile of the DS Audio ST-50 Vs the profile of the Onzow. As you can see from my avatar I use the Dynavector DV507 MKII arm, there is not a lot of clearance to get over the Onzow’s profile and the fact that I can use the ST-50 more times before I have to wash it. I use the ST-50 till I think it’s dirty, unpeel it turn it over and use it when that side is dirty I wash and start again. The Onzow can only really be used one sided due to it’s design.

Reactions: tima and DaveyF

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Larry, that is an excellent example of long term use. Did you dip the stylus into the Onzow or did you bring the Onzow up to the stylus? I'm curious because the consensus seems to be that the latter is much more potentially risky. I do the latter because my arm does not lift enough to clear the bubble, but I have not had any problems in 7+ years. I play about 1,200 LP sides a year and clean the stylus before each play.

Peter, I always lift the Onzow up to the stylus. I'm getting old, but I don't drink, so no DT's. Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing