How Much Hi-Res do you actually listen to/own compared to Redbook?

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Almost negligible. I don't know if there's anything wrong with my ears, but I much prefer RBCDs to SACDs. That's why I've made a downpayment for a Meridian 808.3 just today! Wahooo! :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Almost negligible. I don't know if there's anything wrong with my ears, but I much prefer RBCDs to SACDs. That's why I've made a downpayment for a Meridian 808.3 just today! Wahooo! :D

Congrats...i have heard the 808.2 and it is a great player. I feel sure the 808.3 will even better...please post your impressions vs other players! would be interesting to hear how you think it compares. thanks!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Did you listen to SACDs in players of equivalent quality? Although I am not attracted by SACDs because I can not find much I want to buy in this format, I found that the quality was fabulous in good recordings with the top players. As the Meridian does not play SACDs how can you be absolutely sure it is the digital format your are judging, not the implementation of the reader?
BTW, the 808.3 is really very good!

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Did you listen to SACDs in players of equivalent quality? Although I am not attracted by SACDs because I can not find much I want to buy in this format, I found that the quality was fabulous in good recordings with the top players. As the Meridian does not play SACDs how can you be absolutely sure it is the digital format your are judging, not the implementation of the reader?
BTW, the 808.3 is really very good!

My observation is based on extensive listening to SACDs as well as Redbook CDs on my Esoteric X-03 SE. Of course, well-recorded SACDs probably sounds better than CDs, but I find it to be the exception rather than the norm.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What! 20 Gs! Are you nuts or what?!! :D

* You get a very nice car (on the used market) for that amount.
And in some countries a very nice house. ...Or a huge piece of land.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
What! 20 Gs! Are you nuts or what?!! :D

* You get a very nice car (on the used market) for that amount.
And in some countries a very nice house. ...Or a huge piece of land.

Aren't all audiophiles nuts? ;)

Where I am, for 20k, you get only a basic compact car. To get a very nice house, you need at least 500k, and for a huge piece of land it's at least 2 million.....and I'm talking in terms of American dollars. Just to give you an example, a luxury apartment in my country will cost 500k-1mil in US dollars.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Price is related to the effort that has gone into the product, balanced by numbers of units that they expect to sell, which dictates how the manufacture of the unit occurs. As a simple example, if my HT system had been created by a typical audiophile company it would most likely cost of the order of $10K, simply because of the amount of work that had to be done and cost of materials. I've seen photos of the inside of current Naim products, and there is nothing "superior" there: just that the engineers really know what they're doing; how to optimise the capability of completely standard parts, how to attach most things to each other "correctly" ...

Frank

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Here's a review by RH on the Meridian 808.2. It's the immediate model before the 808.3. Not everyone would subscribe to this kind of sound, but it ticks all the right boxes for me.

http://www.avguide.com/review/tas-194-meridian-8082-reference-signature-cd-player
From that review:

Despite these advances, CD has been fundamentally limited, we assumed, by its too-low sampling rate (44.1kHz) and too-short word length (16 bits)—parameters dictated by the state of late-1970s technology. Moreover, the vast majority of CDs in our music libraries were created with sub-optimum conversion and mastering technology, imprinting our favorite music with hardness, glare, and flatness. I’ve held a secret fantasy of hitting the lottery and using the money to re-master some of my favorite music (none of which has commercial potential), just so that I and other fans could replace our poor-sounding CDs with the best that today’s mastering technology can deliver. As much as CD playback has improved, it’s still fundamentally limited by the format’s parameters, and our libraries are plagued by the distortions introduced by the brickwall filters in A/D converters.

Amazing that this BS is still written in "authorative" magazines -- wakey, wakey, boys!!

Frank

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here's a review by RH on the Meridian 808.2. It's the immediate model before the 808.3. Not everyone would subscribe to this kind of sound, but it ticks all the right boxes for me.

http://www.avguide.com/review/tas-194-meridian-8082-reference-signature-cd-player

Hi JTein...here is another one by HifiCritic...Martin Collom's magainze which is my favorite. Very similar to the way audio journals were 20 years ago...no ads, very detailed, long articles, loads of reviews in a single issue. This review is for the 808.2 i believe.

http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/digital/HIFICRITIC_MeridianCDP808i.pdf

I wonder if you also find that going direct into the amp makes the big improvement that is noted in the review. (not using the built-in preamp for other products, but just going direct into amp and using the internal volume attenuator).

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Hi JTein...here is another one by HifiCritic...Martin Collom's magainze which is my favorite. Very similar to the way audio journals were 20 years ago...no ads, very detailed, long articles, loads of reviews in a single issue. This review is for the 808.2 i believe.

http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/digital/HIFICRITIC_MeridianCDP808i.pdf

I wonder if you also find that going direct into the amp makes the big improvement that is noted in the review. (not using the built-in preamp for other products, but just going direct into amp and using the internal volume attenuator).

Thanks Lloyd, I've already read it a couple of days ago. In fact, I was going to post this as well but I thought it would be information overload if I posted 2 reviews ;) Btw, I can't seem to figure out how the scoring system work.

I can't answer your question yet as I'm still waiting for my baby to arrive! Actually, I got a bit confused about not using the built-in preamp but going direct into the amp using the digital volume control. That would be like the Puccini and the Berkeley Alpha DAC. There are some that posit that this internal volume thingy can never match or take the place of a very good preamp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing