How Much Hi-Res do you actually listen to/own compared to Redbook?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
... As you can see from the list, I belong to the 70s and 80s music era. They don't write songs like that anymore these days.

Were those guys recording in the '70's? In any case, my tastes were probably formed by not much later than '75.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I find that for me, there are intangibles that come with listening to cd and vinyl. I love the physical relationship of holding, cleaning and the ritual of putting a cd into the transport, or dropping the record on the platter, all in anticipation of the first note. And gazing over the album cover art also. What comes to mind first is Cat Stevens, and specifically "Tea For The Tillerman". Or that soul album (sorry I forgot the name) with a picture of Vincent van Gogh's black birds over a fields. How about Marvin Gay's awesome cover art of himself on "What's Going On" and "Let's Get It On". Classic, timeless and just looking at them gives me goosebumps.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Congrats...i have heard the 808.2 and it is a great player. I feel sure the 808.3 will even better...please post your impressions vs other players! would be interesting to hear how you think it compares. thanks!

My Meridian 808.3 has arrived just a few hours ago today! My dealer has installed it and I'm letting it cook for several days before I do any serious listening. That's why I'm not starting a new thread yet. However, what I can say is that even when it's cold out of the box, I'm hearing things I wasn't aware of from my favourite CDs. I also put on a CD where the recording and mastering was quite poor resulting in a lot of digital artifacts e.g. high frequency vocals is very harsh causing my ears to run for cover. Now on the 808.3, this shortcoming has been significantly ameliorated. These are my initial observations.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My Meridian 808.3 has arrived just a few hours ago today! My dealer has installed it and I'm letting it cook for several days before I do any serious listening. That's why I'm not starting a new thread yet. However, what I can say is that even when it's cold out of the box, I'm hearing things I wasn't aware of from my favourite CDs. I also put on a CD where the recording and mastering was quite poor resulting in a lot of digital artifacts e.g. high frequency vocals is very harsh causing my ears to run for cover. Now on the 808.3, this shortcoming has been significantly ameliorated. These are my initial observations.

Ahhhh....congrats! I will say that while [some] digital will smooth things over too much just to ameliorate problems...i have found that the best digital (i cannot say i truly know vinyl or tape) actually brings out the musical element in most any CD...even if your audiophile-self knows its not the best recording/mastering, you hear the music. And that is a BIG difference. I am not sure how that happens, but i hear it on my Zanden in a way i have not heard from many newer, sota digital equipment.

Having heard the 808.2 and spoken with 'trusted ears' i know who have spent a lot more time with this series of CD players, i think i know what you are experiencing, JTein...nice one!!!

Pls post more!!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My Meridian 808.3 has arrived just a few hours ago today! ... I also put on a CD where the recording and mastering was quite poor resulting in a lot of digital artifacts e.g. high frequency vocals is very harsh causing my ears to run for cover. Now on the 808.3, this shortcoming has been significantly ameliorated. These are my initial observations.

Do you think this is the apodizing filter at work?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
great!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
In many ways, I think apodizing or minimum phase circuits are a major breakthrough in digital audio.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
There is a small movement with ultra high end DACs to non-upsampling with NOS chips. Just like with master recording. it is the implementation that is very important, and not so much with what is new. I am all for advancing tech., but the CD format has not reached it's peak from a technological standpoint, IMHO. New super chips and higher resolution are good because they offer the consumer options, and not because it is "better". Go out and listen to a Concert Fidelity DAC, or AN DAC or Danish Audio Design Refernce Tube DAC. All are state of the and non-upconverting, non-upsampling but the Danish Design can accept 24/192 and keep it native. To each his own Grandpa always said. And I listen to hi-res maybe 2 hours a week because when I listen to CDs on my Wadia, I don't even think, I just enjoy.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi MarinJim,

Very interesting observations. BFlowers actually opened a new post about his observations at CES regarding many of the SOTA latest-chip DACS vs 2 NOS DACs. He also added that he had spent time in a controlled environment comparing hi-res to CD and these latest upsampling/latest-tech DACs and felt compelled to at least open the post saying he was most impressed with the NOS DACs. I have found only one DAC that i am tempted to consider 'above' my existing Zanden DAC...and over the last few months have been leaning strongly in favor of keeping my Zanden DAC and finding a second-hand Zanden Transport to go with it. And just being done until i am satisfied there is a big collection of hi-res music and a marked difference in the 'implementation' as you call it.

I think your last sentence applies in my case as well...with Zanden, i just listen to my music. I channel-flip with the other SOTA DACs i have auditioned.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
^ I learned my lesson with the very excellent Burmester 089. Now this is my own very personable bias in that I sold my 089 and bought a hybrid tube Concert Fidelity CF-080 preamp and a GNSC modded Wadia S7i. I needed to have tubes in my system (Burmester 911 MK3 amp) and for me that has to start with the preamp. And the Wadia S7i added a little more tightened mid-bass punch, as well as more transparency. As an example, on the CD soundtrack of "Oh Brother Where Art Thou", the first track can really show the differences between sources.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing