I bought Focal Stella Utopia Evo, but...

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
Thanks for the explanation !
I think Kingrex and thedudeabides both misinterpreted what Jongsun has been saying.
Jongsun bought Focal in 2016. It works fine. He upgraded to another Focal in 2021. And he has been struggling with Focal and dealer ever since.

I'm glad audioblazer brought up the other issue that was never raised, which was the distributor for Focal for Jongsun.
I think we normally think of Microsoft and Apple who would honor their products worldwide. But I have learnt from my local audio dealer that this is not as common in the audio world. Because most audio manufacturers rely on regional distributors worldwide. So dealer deals with distributor who deals with manufacturer. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to refuse to deal with dealer directly and asked them to go through the local distributor. It is unclear to me how much of a role the distributor played in Jongsun's problems.
The way some manufacturers think about this problem is kinda like this. For places outside of their sales region, the distributor made a profit on their products and then the dealer made a profit. So if something needs repairs, it is the distributors' responsibility to take care of it and cover the shipping cost (if not even the repair cost or replacement cost) because that's why the distributor gets a cut of the profit in the first place. But to the outsider of this system, the customer can always feel like the manufacturer is abandoning the customer and constantly referring the customer back to the dealer. When from the manufacturer's standpoint, the problem should really be between the customer, the dealer and the distributor to sort out. Once that's sorted out, the product that needs to be repaired can be sent back to the manufacturer or a new replacement product can be ordered by the distributor from the manufacturer.
To me, in a global economy, this system really needs to be rethought especially for the top audio brands as a good brand's reputation can be seriously damaged by bad dealers and distributors except it becomes more difficult for the manufacturer to get the dealer/distributor to hold accountability. On the other hand, it is hard even for the "big" audio brands to be familiar with all the languages of the world and pursue a global dealer/distributor strategy worldwide.
Thanks for the explanation!

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
I find the above explanation lame and without merit. In the end, it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to back its product regardless of who gets paid what and why. End of story. Reminds me of the following.

You can put a dress on a pig but it is still a pig.
I am in the process of filing a refund lawsuit with the dealer and when I send a complaint email to the focal CEO and sales representative, they only read and have no reply. It's just amazing.

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
...the distributor is Distributor A. The dealer is Dealer A. The badge on the product is Focal. It's fine to let dealers and distributors cover issues like this, up to a point.

But at the point that they're not actually covering the issue effectively, the manufacturer *should* step in, IMO. This reads like typical modern blame-shifting at some level. It's not fair to make a company issue (poor dealer/distributor comms, policies, etc.) a customer issue.

Caveat: The above comments are based on one side of the story.
Oh, I bought the focal stella utopia directly from the distributor.
They are dealers and distributors.

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
Caveat emptor.
Demos generally sell for 20%offf and are not returnable. They usually come with full warranty. If you are truly paranoid get the serial number and ask the manufacturer for their history. Your speaker may not have been a demo. It may have been a "lemon"[ a defective product that cannot be made whole]. I hate to say it, but an unscrupulous dealer might seek to unload it as a demo. A wise dealer would save boxes and manuals to maximize the eventual sale. You 're already in litigation. But you might want to check out your jurisdiction's lemon law.
I bought the focal stella utopia at a new price.
Focal guarantees two years but my dealer says one year.
Of course I asked the focal for a history of serial numbers
But they did not answer.
They also didn't answer why the speakers didn't have manuals.

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
I get this. And I also get someone saying a stain is something you created. Not being able to repair a speaker with inaccurate channel balance matching is a manufacturer problem. Its a poorly designed product and its good a customer is calling this out.

You would hope the retail or national distributor would have some responsibility to make it right. But they are not eating money for a nobody one off customer. These are big boys. I got told to Pound Sand by Rega in a very similar way. So I don't purchase Rega anymore.

Post 107 by the OP seems to say he just bought a new Focal Speaker. This appears a language translation misinterpretation. I took it as he bought new speakers yesterday. Upon re-reading it a couple times, I can see he is using himself in the 1st person reciting the basic outline of the story.

Well, who here is a reviewer or dealer that will reach out to the national distributor and make a plea. Is anyone willing. Who wants to get in the middle of all this and jeopardize your personal/business relationship. My bet is Focal was told by the distributor and Focal responded, its within tolerance, and they would not assist in any way. The distributor and retail are unwilling to eat $80,000 so they are both doing all they can do. Deny, deflect, whatever is necessary to make Jongsun go away.
I sometimes get it wrong because I use a translator.
I am so stressed out after purchasing this in January 2021
I'm not even listening to music.
I just hope this speaker disappears from my living room soon.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
was there a warranty card?

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
To sum up what has happened so far,
I purchased the focal stella utopia evo em in January 2021.
This product was imported in August 2018 and I bought these that was 2 years old
The place I bought is distributor and dealer.
They import focal products and sell them directly.
This is a bit funny, too.

A few days later I found the 13" woofer not working at a low volume on the left speaker.
I informed the dealer and they took off the 13" woofer and replaced the diode according to the direction of the focal.
It was also worked by an installation engineer, not a professional repair engineer.
They said the focal said that this is the case because the diode often go out.

However, it was not repaired.
And when they replaced the diode, they tricked me into saying it was focal genuine part.
But they were getting cheap diodes.
They used cheap lead, not silver lead.
And once again replaced the diode.
I was so angry to rip the 13" woofer off the new speaker twice, but I held it in.
I asked why there was no manual, but they said it often happens.
Does this make sense?
And when asked why the speakers were stained, they just wiped them off.

They said they couldn't fix it.(February 2021)
I asked for a refund because I don't have the same color in stock.
Then they offered to exchange it for a "natural noyer" one at an additional price.
It's crazy.
I'm not going to accept them if they just exchange.

I asked for a refund.
They said no refunds because they lost money
and the lawsuit began.
I wrote about this injustice on the audio forum.
It has caused a lot of public outrage.
Then they made rumors that I had broken the speaker.
They sued me for libel and obstruction of business for my post.

At this time, I also sent an email to the focal.(February 2021)
The person in charge said the stain could get on.
However, he did not respond to the lack of a manual.
He did not answer the request for a history of serial numbers.

They offered an exchange for "natural noyer" at no extra charge.
They suggested this because the blue I bought is out of stock.
I was so disappointed that I refused.

After that, no matter what mail I send, I just read and don't answer.
I also sent an email to Focal ceo (May 2021)
He said he would consult with his team and give them an answer, but they didn't.
On the contrary, he said he would sue if he spread this fact unnecessarily.

And now a lawsuit is under way.
The dealer claims that my house's harmful current and my carelessness in using it broke down.
However, he said he would exchange it in consideration of consumers.
That's absurd.
It's the consumer's fault, so why are they exchanging it?

The dealer said he had the same color in stock.
The same product arrived from Dubai on March 31, 2021.
Obviously, the focal said they don't have the same color in stock.(February 2021)
This is not a reliable product.

A third trial this month.
I'm so angry looking at the speakers in the living room that I want to clean them up, but they're too heavy to do it'

Anyway, I hope that no one is harmed by the irresponsible follow-up of the focal.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Y
The absence of a warranty card and manual siggedt there may have been a previous owner. Did you consider bringing Focal into the lawsuit?

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
Y
The absence of a warranty card and manual siggedt there may have been a previous owner. Did you consider bringing Focal into the lawsuit?
When the lawsuit is completed with the dealer here, I will discuss it with my lawyer

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I'm no lawyer, but I would consider a technical expert at the trial. Someone to provide proof your amp did not damage thr speaker. A damaged speaker will have electrical characteristics that show the damage. The impedance through the coils goes up and the insulation on each winding breaks down allowimg current to leak from strand to strand instead of going through the whole winding.

The stain is a no win. Forget about it. You want a 100% functional speaker.

If the diode was replaced with non factory parts, that is another point to argue.

I personally think your issue is in the crossover. Inaccurate reaistor matching. Maybe a faulty inductor.

Any way about it, you got heard. When they sue back, you were noticed. Keep at it. Good luck. Hopefully the judge awards you a victory and requires they refund you.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am a lawyer in America. I would not have allowed Focal to remain silent. They know something.

Last edited:

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
I'm no lawyer, but I would consider a technical expert at the trial. Someone to provide proof your amp did not damage thr speaker. A damaged speaker will have electrical characteristics that show the damage. The impedance through the coils goes up and the insulation on each winding breaks down allowimg current to leak from strand to strand instead of going through the whole winding.

The stain is a no win. Forget about it. You want a 100% functional speaker.

If the diode was replaced with non factory parts, that is another point to argue.

I personally think your issue is in the crossover. Inaccurate reaistor matching. Maybe a faulty inductor.

Any way about it, you got heard. When they sue back, you were noticed. Keep at it. Good luck. Hopefully the judge awards you a victory and requires they refund you.
They and I tested and found out that there was a problem with the speaker.
And they also admitted the problem with the speakers.
Their admission of the matter remains evidence.
That's why they reported to focal and Focal ordered the diode to be replaced.
Focal instructed to obtain and replace the diode with the same capacity without sending the original parts.
Does this make sense?
That's why they lied to me that this was a genuine part.
The fact that there is a problem with this speaker is clear.
But as the case begins, they change their statements And I'm spreading rumors that I'm broken.
The trial will take place next week.
Thank you for being nice to me!

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
I am a lawyer in America. I would not have allowed Focal to remain silent. They know something.
That makes two of us.
I sent what I posted here to the CEO and sales representative of Focal.
If they were confident, they would have posted an explanation here.
But they don't reply to emails and don't reply here.
Thank you for your advice

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
That makes two of us.
Good luck. I have bought a number of faulty items over the years (all brand new). One was a Mcintosh CDP, One was a Metronome CDP and the third a PurePower distributor. All were refunded 100% once the fault had been identified (the Purepower didn't need much of a work up as it kind of exploded whilst I was on the phone to the dealer and he almost soiled himself). Good luck. At any price you should get a full refund.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That makes two of us.
I get ripped off. I never get ignored.

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
Good luck. I have bought a number of faulty items over the years (all brand new). One was a Mcintosh CDP, One was a Metronome CDP and the third a PurePower distributor. All were refunded 100% once the fault had been identified (the Purepower didn't need much of a work up as it kind of exploded whilst I was on the phone to the dealer and he almost soiled himself). Good luck. At any price you should get a full refund.
That's right. If there's a problem with the product, it's right to exchange or refund
Moreover, if they don't have a product to exchange, of course it's right to get a refund.
The dealer said his company doesn't have a refund policy.
They have a very bad reputation in our country.
Because of this case, many people try not to use the products that the dealer sells.
Of course, it includes the focal
I heard rumors that sales also fell by less than half.
I hope that I win the case and this bad company disappears.

Motoman

Jul 24, 2021
Miami Beach
I get ripped off. I never get ignored.
I am also a trial lawyer (CA and MA), and the way you were treated is complete BS, especially for such an expensive speaker by a well-established manufacturer. I think that you made a tactical error by not naming Focal as a defendant, because that puts them in the spotlight, not just the distributor. They have more incentive to fix this situation. From Focal's website:

A PHILOSOPHY OF HIGH EXPECTATIONS​

The quality of our products is essential, and excellence is a constant concern. This is why we choose all our French and foreign partners with great care, to ensure that the level of quality meets our select criteria, whether they're suppliers of components or finished products.

I would argue that that constitutes a separate representation of quality on which you can rely, and their conduct towards you is a breach of those representations (among other things). You are clearly right, down to the dubious facts that the speakers were imported 2 years before you bought them and didn't come with owner's manuals or cards (but did come with a stain). My Focal Diablo Utopia III's came with a full glossy brochure and manual for each of the speakers. You are being lied to left and right, and you need to make sure that you have an expert that will testify that there is nothing in your house or equipment that would have caused any problems, and that X is the actual problem with the speaker, which has nothing to do with your house or equipment. Make them lie on the witness stand, and then go right after them on those lies. I am outraged that Focal would treat someone that way, and it was not my personal experience. Right after receiving my Focals, the metal center of the woofer literally fell out because they didn't use enough glue. A phone call to the US distributor and I received a brand new woofer for free the next week. That is the type of service to expect. Sure, things happen. Its how those things are dealt with that counts. Go get them and good luck.

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
I am also a trial lawyer (CA and MA), and the way you were treated is complete BS, especially for such an expensive speaker by a well-established manufacturer. I think that you made a tactical error by not naming Focal as a defendant, because that puts them in the spotlight, not just the distributor. They have more incentive to fix this situation. From Focal's website:

A PHILOSOPHY OF HIGH EXPECTATIONS​

The quality of our products is essential, and excellence is a constant concern. This is why we choose all our French and foreign partners with great care, to ensure that the level of quality meets our select criteria, whether they're suppliers of components or finished products.

I would argue that that constitutes a separate representation of quality on which you can rely, and their conduct towards you is a breach of those representations (among other things). You are clearly right, down to the dubious facts that the speakers were imported 2 years before you bought them and didn't come with owner's manuals or cards (but did come with a stain). My Focal Diablo Utopia III's came with a full glossy brochure and manual for each of the speakers. You are being lied to left and right, and you need to make sure that you have an expert that will testify that there is nothing in your house or equipment that would have caused any problems, and that X is the actual problem with the speaker, which has nothing to do with your house or equipment. Make them lie on the witness stand, and then go right after them on those lies. I am outraged that Focal would treat someone that way, and it was not my personal experience. Right after receiving my Focals, the metal center of the woofer literally fell out because they didn't use enough glue. A phone call to the US distributor and I received a brand new woofer for free the next week. That is the type of service to expect. Sure, things happen. Its how those things are dealt with that counts. Go get them and good luck.
Thank you for your advice.
The judge instructed the expert to appraise the speaker
To determine whether this speaker is broken by the consumer's fault or an initial failure.
Anyone who knows a little about electronics knows that this failure cannot occur for use in a week, but ordinary people do not know.
After an expert makes an assessment, it will be confirmed that it is an initial defect, and the judge will make a judgment based on it.
I received an e-mail from Focal that acknowledged the initial defect.
And this was also submitted as evidence.
However, the focal does not take any action and does not respond to my e-mail, just reading it.
I am going to file a claim for damages with the focal when the trial with the distributor is completed to some extent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing