I don't know how you did it but thank you everyone!!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Live Jazz Music | Seattle area

Joe Whip said:
It was meant for Amir.

I see now. :b

________

* Amir; new music genre, live music, and sushi...good life recipe. :b
? Is there a poll thread about the genre of music WBF members prefer in an ascending order?

________

I have no clue whatsoever on how you can bring another person into the world of Classical music.
Because we all have a different path.

But I am free to suggest:

<<>> Simple solo piano music recordings from Bach, Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven. ...I think it's a good start.
Then add a cello (chamber classical music), and that could be a nice second step.
Then the sky is the limit...and for eternity.

________

When I was young my Dad would sing in the shower and in the living room, opera style.
I also had a 12-LP set of all the great classical composers (I was 15-years old).
I am listening to Classical music right now, on the radio.

In my family (7) I am the only one into Classical and Jazz and Blues music.
The majority of my friends who love music (audiophiles and all) are not into Classical, Jazz & Blues.
In audio forums, yes.

In my teens, before going to bed I would stack 5-6 LPs of Classical music on my TT and listen with my headphones.
I shared a room with my brother...and it bothered him in his sleep...that was the main unfairness thing to my bro @ that time.
Later on, during day time I would put my speakers outside and crank Yes. ...Tales of Topographic Oceans...and Fragile...and Close to the Edge.

Also, I was a fan of Emerson, Lake & Palmer...and Keith is a classical influenced keyboardist. ...Bach.

Shooting stars and sharing some just like that.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think that what might apply here is the term "casual fan." Enjoying Arthur Feidler and the Boston Pops pla the 1812 Overture on the 4th of July does nt make you a classical music lover.I thank Telarc and David Chesky (Chesk brothers) for acquainting me with classical music. Their recording of works such as Stravinskys Firebird Suiye or Cheskys recording Scheherazade were so good I could not ignore them

It's much better with organ than piano

The Reference Recording of Scheherazade is good quality recording, but I still prefer the Reiner/Living Stereo because of the performance. Watched Scheherazade three times last year and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to start in classical music. IMO it's the best to watch live. Listen to it on youtube twice shortly before the show, think umm, meh, then go for the show and get blown away. The Reiner/Living Stereo LP is very good. As for Stravinsky, just got back from watching Valery Gergiev conduct Rite of Spring.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

since you're now into Jazz, I'd recommend a listen to the South Korean jazz singer Youn Sun Nah accompanied by Swedish musicians - - > http://www.younsunnah.com/?discography=voyage
Hi Lars. Thanks for the link. That is an enjoyable artist too although definitely a different style. The first hit on Youtube was just her on stage playing the instruments with her voice. The second one was a guitar piece that she also "co-played" and pretty pleasant.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
AMIRM I was about to put tigther a list of my favorite Ten Jazz Albums.when I ran across this :
http://www.laweekly.com/music/top-10-jazz-albums-for-people-who-dont-know-****-about-jazz-2401574
If you really love jazz, you'll know after listening to this. Pardon my French.
Thanks Greg. I have works from a few musicians there but none of those titles. I will listen to samples later.

For now, what's up with the ad agency they use there? I see that it is Law Weekly but the first ad that showed up on my phone was "WWE Hello in a Cell" (American Wrestling) the second, "the dominian; LA's most respected BDSM clue" I promise, I don't frequent anything like that on my phone so it is a shocker to see them show up and be endorsed by Law Weekly no less. Wonder if they are hoping you do that stuff, get in trouble and then legal help. :D

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks Greg. I have works from a few musicians there but none of those titles. I will listen to samples later.

For now, what's up with the ad agency they use there? I see that it is Law Weekly but the first ad that showed up on my phone was "WWE Hello in a Cell" (American Wrestling) the second, "the dominian; LA's most respected BDSM clue" I promise, I don't frequent anything like that on my phone so it is a shocker to see them show up and be endorsed by Law Weekly no less. Wonder if they are hoping you do that stuff, get in trouble and then legal help. :D

Seems to be something new. I get this message. Sorry this page is not available. Would you like to look at this?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The Reference Recording of Scheherazade is good quality recording, but I still prefer the Reiner/Living Stereo because of the performance. Watched Scheherazade three times last year and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to start in classical music. IMO it's the best to watch live. Listen to it on youtube twice shortly before the show, think umm, meh, then go for the show and get blown away. The Reiner/Living Stereo LP is very good. As for Stravinsky, just got back from watching Valery Gergiev conduct Rite of Spring.

It's strange. My taste run form large scale Orchestra and Choir or small scale chamber music.Go figure.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

I don't remember that there was a Reference Recording Scheherazade. There might be one released only on CD. I have all the hirez and vinyl issues of RefRecs over the years. There is a Chesky release, but that was a reissue of the Reiner Scheherazade, licensed from RCA, back a few years. They did maybe a half dozen or so plus some of the Reader's Digest issues that RCA did for RD. Those were actually engineered by Decca.

Agree with Kedar that seeing Scheherazade and the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique or one of the Mahler Symphonies (1 and 4 are the easiest ones to start with) live with a great symphony orchestra is an awe inspiring event.

Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
We attend almost exclusively classical concerts (some 70+ per year). We've been trying to expand our horizons a bit and did one jazz concert last year - Peter Nero - who was classically trained at Julliard or Curtis - with his three person combo - very entertaining with some classical touches. He played a shortened version of Rhapsody in Blue, which he had played as a teenager with Paul Wightman's band in Las Vegas (Wightman had commission's Gershwin to write R in B) and performed it with Gershwin himself at the premier. Nice tuneful stuff. Last month we heard Wynton Marsalis and his Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra/Band - a 15 piece big band. Excellent virtuosic playing, but not so much melody and the trumpets could be extremely loud - even in a large 2000 per hall (we were dead center 15th row orchestra). Probably won't go to another jazz concert next year. We were in almost exactly the same seats for Dudamel conducting his Simon Bolivar Orchestra from Venezuela playing Beethoven and then the Mariinsky Ballet and Orchestra performing Prokofiev's Cinderella in the two subsequent weeks. For us, much more enjoyable performances. We've tried jazz, not quite our cup of tea.

Larry

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
I love organ music.
Especially Ligia Digit Recordings with Olivier Vernet.
These recordings usually require a very linear and clean bottom end to appreciate all subtle tonal variations of great church organs.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agree with Kedar that seeing Scheherazade and the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique or one of the Mahler Symphonies (1 and 4 are the easiest ones to start with) live with a great symphony orchestra is an awe inspiring event.

Larry

For beginners I find Mahler too long, they get lost. Haitink conducting Mahler 1 was brilliant, I got lost on 4 at the Proms because of the bad acoustics. Oramo + BBC Symphony doing Mahler 3 was awesome as well, best trombone tone I have heard.

LarsS

Nov 11, 2014
Stockholm
Hi Lars. Thanks for the link. That is an enjoyable artist too although definitely a different style. The first hit on Youtube was just her on stage playing the instruments with her voice. The second one was a guitar piece that she also "co-played" and pretty pleasant.

Amir,

you should listen to "Jockey full of bourbon", Tom Waits cover by Youn Sun Nah then judge.

Since I guess you haven't discovered Fado yet, listen to song "Primavera (Live)" performed by Mariza from album "Concerto em Lisboa by Mariza"

Enjoy music!

/Lars

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Bonzo , Astrotoy,

If youe like Szeherezade you should try a Fone recording , available on nativedsd , outsanding SQ . For Bonzo who owns B7 is a must:)

I agree with many thoughts in this thread , especially that this is very good place to develop our musical culture for our mutual benefits , making us better audiophiles and let's hope - just better people.

LarsS- I have 5 cds with Mariza, Concerto em Lisboa also on dvd , beautiful music:)

Attachments

• szeherezade.jpg
    szeherezade.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

you should listen to "Jockey full of bourbon", Tom Waits cover by Youn Sun Nah then judge.

Since I guess you haven't discovered Fado yet, listen to song "Primavera (Live)" performed by Mariza from album "Concerto em Lisboa by Mariza"

Enjoy music!

/Lars

Most excellent Lars! This is definitely Jazz that I understand. Went to order the Voyage CD and it was $32 on Amazon! Fortunately it is available for high-res download at both HDtracks ad ProStudioMasters at half the price. I bought it from the latter because I had a discount code for them. Of course, while I was there, I bought five other albums! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing