I have been getting into Mozart

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Netflix has a show about the Mozart family. I have watched 2/3rds of it twice. My wife keeps falling asleep so I turn it off. Anyhow, It's a fun story that peaked my interest. It got me into looking at his greatest works and moving out from their. I am soon to start going from his early to later works.

It also solidifies why I saw Joel Durand has his classical by age, not composer. I am more curious now to see what each composers influence was on the next generation. I wonder how much classical changed over hundreds of years. Rock changed quite a bit in 60 years. I wonder if we will ever see a great rock band again.

By the way, what or who is the starting point of classical music.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hurrian Hymn No. 6, c.1400 BC from my limited research.

Last edited:

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
It got me into looking at his greatest works and moving out from their. I am soon to start going from his early to later works.
You can do worse than to get the early Barenboim / English Chamber Orchestra edition of Mozart's piano concertos. It's available here but I'm sure it's also downloadable at better resolution somewhere

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Why do people learn music composition? Is it to write movie scores. Outside that, it does not seem there is a big enough market for new classical music.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Why do people learn music composition? Is it to write movie scores. Outside that, it does not seem there is a big enough market for new classical music.
most musicians want some degree of grounding in composition. performing has a creative aspect of which the language of composition is a part.

why are any arts taught in schools? lots of art/music/dance majors never make a living in that field, it statistically is not a reliable way to make a living, yet has value to society. and we are better for it.

sure, some of it is related to movies, and gaming, and even marketing. the more commercial side. but art is a legit part of culture and worthy of being part of education. that is my opinion.

Reactions: cmarin

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
most musicians want some degree of grounding in composition. performing has a creative aspect of which the language of composition is a part.
I wonder how many rockers, pop, country etc have taken a class in composition.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I wonder how many rockers, pop, country etc have taken a class in composition.
My room designer, Chris Huston, went to art school (Liverpool College of Art) with John Lennon.

Miles Davis went to Julliard.

assume composition was part of the curriculum. do they count?

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I'm sure a few greats did. Maybe many of them. I'm curious of the more new to fame people, say in the last 20 years. How many of those musicians took composition and how many felt it helped them. And the up and comers. Do they care.
I have seen video of Paul McCartney sitting at the keyboard writing notes. But those are the greats. My perception from a very outside view is the new talent wants to know how to use a beat box and make music in their bed rooms. Do they even need to know how to scribe music. For the most part, we are taking other peoples works and modifying it. As the Mozart show noted, Mozart never veered to far from what people felt was normal at the time. He stayed close to what they could relate too.
Maybe ask Joel some time who he sees taking the classes. And has any famous talent been through his classes?

As another aside, I tried to find video on Beethoven yesterday. I did not find anything interesting. The Mozart piece is much better. And I really should just stick to Mozart. Even breaking down a piece like Symphony No 41 Jupiter, I find Movement 2 to be intoxicating. I like more subtle and flowing works. I do like Tchaikovsky, but his raucous up and down in intensity can be distracting. When I get into a classical piece, I sometimes lean in and listen to all the details. Blasts of everything throw me out of the trance.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
If u want to get into Mozart, I suggest getting the Phillips Complete Mozart Edition
180 cds of all of his works.
I have enjoyed this box set like forever....

Reactions: Al M.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Now I'm on a slight bend. I bought some records and ended up with a Beethoven, Gleen Gould playing Concerto No1. I don't know when Jazz was suppose to have started, but there are definitely Jazz lines in that track. Beethoven was very cutting edge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing