I really miss the participation of.....

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Summer is historically a slow time for audio. People are vacationing and spending more time outdoor. As winter approaches we tend to spend more time indoors with our audio systems.

I agree that all the forums have been slow but WBF seems to have more activity than most. The long threads like Amir's seem to keep people interested even if they are not active participants.

There are many people here with a great deal of expertise and valuable insights to share. As is the case with great talk shows, the interviewer or questioner is often the key to an interesting show. I think it is the same with forums. There is great value in a person that can ask original and thoughtful questions. Sometimes you may have a good question but may think that it is too simple or that other people may not be interested or that you may have to "prove" something. This tends to limit the range and scope of the topics on the forum.

I have noticed that some posters that some consider annoying are actually good for the forum because they act as catalysts to conversation. Perhaps we should not be quick to come to THE answer or to shut the conversation down with a definitive opinion. So, a bit more tolerance and a tone of encouragement to go outside the boundaries of what you think you know. Just a thought.

It is this ability to question that makes some of the best writers interesting. It is not that a famous writer's opinion is better than your own, it is rather their ability to look or listen in a manner that is different or insightful that makes them interesting to read. Perhaps some moderators could take on this responsibility to act as catalysts to discussion topics. Amir is a good example of a person that has this ability. He obviously thinks and ponders things deeply and doesn't just spit out his knee jerk opinion on every topic.

Well said.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I am much more inclined to post more if there is continued exchange with questions, experiences, etc. In the best cases someone is willing to investigate a similar matter in their own system and do some experimentation where something was learned or improved by either party. As many have expressed here, ideally such forums provide both informational and social exchanges with others having overlapping interests. If responses are extremes of either dis-interest or complete dismissal, exchanges fizzle out.

I certainly agree with Mark. The issue on this forum (and occasionally on others) is that differing views turn into "name calling". And, IMHO, at least one of the folks no longer posting here was continually guilty by either passively or actively dismissing differing opinions. While such individuals may (or may not) be missed in the short term, the forum will be a much more enjoyable experience when the dust settles.

As Mark posted,
informational exchanges with others having overlapping interests
is what can make audio forums great places to spend time and learn. If I want to get into pi$$ing contests, I can go visit some political or "religious" forum!!!

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Myles is really gone? What happened?

MEP come back!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Myles is really gone? What happened?

MEP come back!

Learning about Myles' departure came as a surprise to me as well. I still don't really know why he left.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Learning about Myles' departure came as a surprise to me as well. I still don't really know why he left.

Neither he nor mep will be reading or posting here again, I suspect. Bruce (Asamel), I think Myles contacted you through Facebook?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm pretty sure it was a moderator-type problem more than with any individual members.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hmm, I have become mostly a lurker here as well, checking in from time to time, not from any particular reason that my system is settled and I have other things that occupy my attention.

Were there any murders, cool interpersonal threats, hair pulling at audio shows, or audio magnates sending out death squads and lawsuits after their Precious was insulted?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
...Were there any murders, cool interpersonal threats, hair pulling at audio shows, or audio magnates sending out death squads and lawsuits after their Precious was insulted?

There may have been some hair pulling because a few of guys from here that I have met seem to be missing a lot of their hair. ;)

Seriously, I have noticed something about the forum that is present at virtually every forum out there, and that is a degree of pettiness among some members that is unnecessary, in my opinion. This forum should be above that.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of people here well-educated, and successful at reaching the goals that they set in life. Some would qualify as one-percenters, I suspect. So, one would expect a higher level of civility on a forum like this one, but the very competitiveness and drive that propelled some to achieve great things elsewhere seems to be their undoing here. As a result, some interesting topics are reduced to drivel by those members. They may always win the game at work, but when it comes to matters of opinion, there are no clear winners. Smart people should try to avoid being petty, shouldn't they?

Audio is a hobby. People get into it for a variety of reasons, but the end result should be the same. It should be fun, or at least an escape from all the games and pressures of work.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
There may have been some hair pulling because a few of guys from here that I have met seem to be missing a lot of their hair. ;)

Seriously, I have noticed something about the forum that is present at virtually every forum out there, and that is a degree of pettiness among some members that is unnecessary, in my opinion. This forum should be above that.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of people here well-educated, and successful at reaching the goals that they set in life. Some would qualify as one-percenters, I suspect. So, one would expect a higher level of civility on a forum like this one, but the very competitiveness and drive that propelled some to achieve great things elsewhere seems to be their undoing here. As a result, some interesting topics are reduced to drivel by those members. They may always win the game at work, but when it comes to matters of opinion, there are no clear winners. Smart people should try to avoid being petty, shouldn't they?

Audio is a hobby. People get into it for a variety of reasons, but the end result should be the same. It should be fun, or at least an escape from all the games and pressures of work.

Very we'll said ..
+1

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
One observation....since they left, the forum seems to be more civil (could be coincidence)..a step in the right direction I guess. I did appreciate their insights though before the food fights.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
There have been times I have read a post from a person that I usually disagree with. But they make a point that I can appreciate and would like to comment but they throw in a jab or slight to one of the participants. This only diminishes their ability to sway others to their point of view. It also keeps some people on the side-lines because we don't feel like getting into a war over a point of view in audio.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
There have been times I have read a post from a person that I usually disagree with. But they make a point that I can appreciate and would like to comment but they throw in a jab or slight to one of the participants. This only diminishes their ability to sway others to their point of view. It also keeps some people on the side-lines because we don't feel like getting into a war over a point of view in audio.

+1.

undercurrents of conflict do exist; unfortunately. and sometimes bits of those appear in otherwise useful posts. we all have choices about getting in our 'digs' or not.

the www has given us all those choices we might not indulge were we looking that other guy in the face at that moment. what seems perfectly reasonable from one point of view, looks quite provocative with a bit of reflection. it's hard to un-ring bells once rung on-line.....

in my business life I avoid any conflict resolution in emails. as much as a customer or employee might desire it, there are simply too many misunderstandings that can happen without verbal communications. so it's no surprise how messed up an on line forum can get.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Good point.

But I must say that I miss most of the members who left WBF. IMHO the forum became less informative and more even with their depart.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing