I really miss the participation of.....

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bill, Davey, Mark and Ron (although Ron chimes in now and again). I felt the same way when Andre Marc stopped posting, but thankfully he's back. Heck, I'll even go overboard and say I miss Bob as I miss not being able to shake my head at some of the things he posted. At least he gave us a laugh and personalized things a bit. I see little of that now. It's all so darned serious. A shout out to Tim for starting a thread about an imaginary friend and what suggestions we'd have for spending $2K of his imaginary money.

I'm not saying that in-depth discussions about gear and performance thereof shouldn't be a good part of the focus here, but people........you've gone crazy. That's all I see.

I'll be sticking around because there are many people here that I like and I do read a lot of threads. I've learned more from this site about audio than anywhere else, so thanks. But I'm getting bored as well. I've reduced my input and can't see it coming back if the trend continues.

I think I'll go and listen to some music on the system I've invested so much in and tuned to my liking. Much more interesting than worrying about the 0.002% of something I may be missing.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Bill, Davey, Mark and Ron (although Ron chimes in now and again). I felt the same way when Andre Marc stopped posting, but thankfully he's back. Heck, I'll even go overboard and say I miss Bob as I miss not being able to shake my head at some of the things he posted. At least he gave us a laugh and personalized things a bit. I see little of that now. It's all so darned serious. A shout out to Tim for starting a thread about an imaginary friend and what suggestions we'd have for spending $2K of his imaginary money.

I'm not saying that in-depth discussions about gear and performance thereof shouldn't be a good part of the focus here, but people........you've gone crazy. That's all I see.

I'll be sticking around because there are many people here that I like and I do read a lot of threads. I've learned more from this site about audio than anywhere else, so thanks. But I'm getting bored as well. I've reduced my input and can't see it coming back if the trend continues.

I think I'll go and listen to some music on the system I've invested so much in and tuned to my liking. Much more interesting than worrying about the 0.002% of something I may be missing.

I also miss Myles,even though on one relpy to him I was kinda hard on him. I think the hardcore analog listeners just gave up. I miss MEP and Bob,and Frank who was like a broken record,sometimes like me,but we did share just a few of the same observations,so that part was cool. The best part of this forum is when people are brave enough to talk about their systems and how they sound,and what they are doing to improve them. Some of the technical stuff is good raw meat and some of it....ah well you know what I think.:D

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
"Bill" as in Whart? And Myles too. w/o them we're missing some of the passion around here for what really counts, imo.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I miss everyone too. I have tried the "shark" but the posting activity in not very high. Plus, I want to be loyal to WBF.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm loyal to WBF as well and I ain't going anywhere...I need you guys to continue educating me. I just want some of the personality back.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I only know screen names.
not a 1st name to match up
some I know, real name to screen name

by the way, my name is Mike....LOL

Hi Mike...I'm John

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Maybe they are spending more time . . .

wait
for
it
listening to music!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I miss everyone too. I have tried the "shark" but the posting activity in not very high. Plus, I want to be loyal to WBF.

And it seems the 'shark is even more oriented to expensive equipment talk than WBF? Ah well, it all seems to go in cycles; I suspect there will be some interesting topics opening here in the future.

Roger's comment about the analog lovers leaving struck a funny note for me; the SH Forums, which like many I frequent for some of the music discussions, is absolutely full of posters extolling the virtues of their (typically) under $1500 analog setups...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
And it seems the 'shark is even more oriented to expensive equipment talk than WBF? Ah well, it all seems to go in cycles; I suspect there will be some interesting topics opening here in the future.

Roger's comment about the analog lovers leaving struck a funny note for me; the SH Forums, which like many I frequent for some of the music discussions, is absolutely full of posters extolling the virtues of their (typically) under $1500 analog setups...

And good for them....they love their music.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Johnny Vinyl do you feel WBF has gotten too 1. tech 2. boring 3. too many Train wrecks 4. digital 5. something else. Is the form at a end?

1. Tech = YES
2. Boring = YES
3. Train wrecks = NO. I don't involve myself in them.
4. Digital = NO. Although not my preference I have many digital files that I enjoy.
5. Something else = YES. Too impersonal. Far too many threads read like science journals.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Every forum I know has it's own personality and that is governerned by the Forum direction......pretty simple. There is bound to be differences. Has the direction of WBF changed? I have no idea....that's a personal judgement made by each participant.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think a quick scan of active topics on any given day will tell you that analog is not under-represented on WBF. I don't know what the "hard core" is and what they may have given up on.

I understand what you're feeling, John. I probably don't open 85% of the threads here, because mine is a pretty specific, unusual approach to the hobby (all digital, active, near field...), and I just don't have any interest in most of the gear threads. The stuff that does interest me is trends/innovations in the industry, developments in and perspectives on what we hear/perceive and how that is impacted by recording and reproduction. Unfortunately, those tend to be the most contentious threads here. I think there's a pretty simple solution to the issue, though, John -- the folks who would like talk subjects other than gear just need to start more threads. Maybe they won't go to 100 pages, but when they run their course, we should just start another one. Maybe we'll start a trend. Maybe we'll actually spend more time talking about music, most fascinating subject ever broached here. :)

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Having to "prove" stuff all the time is just plain tiring. It's like getting shadow managed. For every active poster, there is a big multiple of lurkers. I know a few of them. I've been told many times by the more casual hobbyists that the atmosphere here is intimidating for this very reason. They get the impression that if they post personal impressions here, they'll be put to the task of explaining the "hows" and not just the "whys". For the more seasoned and technologically inclined hobbyists I've been told that they think the, I quote, "nitpicking" is just annoying.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
1. Tech = YES
2. Boring = YES
3. Train wrecks = NO. I don't involve myself in them.
4. Digital = NO. Although not my preference I have many digital files that I enjoy.
5. Something else = YES. Too impersonal. Far too many threads read like science journals.

I think #5 is on target from my perspective. It tends to make the forum appear to be an exclusive club where others may feel left out. Then again, what do I know? I'm just a seventeen year-old trapped in a sixty-three year-old body. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing