I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Great pics Christian, the system is really coming together nicely. How far away are you from the speakers now? Is this what changed the toe in on your speakers?

Reactions: ddk

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
System including AS2000 and the 1000lb Nothing rack is installed. Also worthy of note, I no longer toe the Wilsons in. The entire room now has good sound...not just the “DFC” seat. Will be taking better pics for DDK to start a new US base AS2000 thread. Here are some iPhone pics for now. View attachment 49303 View attachment 49304 View attachment 49305 View attachment 49306
Your room looks spaciously airy Christian. Must be so comfortable to be in and a nirvana for listening to music. Best part is it is a living and listening room. I envy you.

Tang

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian

I am curious as to the lack of any toe in on the set up. How do you get the drivers to focus on your sitting position

I’m still working that out Steve with ears and mind ;). This change was suggested by David. I may try a bit of toe to ascertain differences good or bad. As l listen now, it sounds very good, balanced and natural. Full toe like I had Before David arrived yielded bloated/smeared mid bass it seems. In the smaller compressed space, full toe worked well. It is too soon to tell whether this is the final configuration or some combo of light toe and mid/tweet module adjustment. Rollers are staying on speakers until I’m sure what’s best for my situation.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Your room looks spaciously airy Christian. Must be so comfortable to be in and a nirvana for listening to music. Best part is it is a living and listening room. I envy you.

Tang
You will have the room you desire my friend....that I am sure of :)
I’m just starting to listen again. It was a long and painful move. My stereo’s final resting place.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Great pics Christian, the system is really coming together nicely. How far away are you from the speakers now? Is this what changed the toe in on your speakers?

The listening chair is 12’ back, speakers 9’ spread.
Wilson recommends full toe. I really think it all depends on room volume, ceiling height,wall material and room layout. There is an optimal mix of setup position variables with the existing room acoustics that will take quite some time to discover and sort out I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My personal thoughts Christian having owned Wilson speakers for 25 years that you will get better focus and imaging with a slight toe in. Use a laser light to help

The only other caveat is that Wilson stresses the ratio of distance from tweeter to ear divided by the distance from tweeter to tweeter should be between 1.0-1.25

Yours is 1.33 (12/9 =1.33)

Just a thought is to consider that ratio. The only person to prove that wrong to me was asiufy whose ratio when I was there was 0.88 and it sounded fabulous. Your positioning might be improved with a gentle toe in

Mine are 10 feet from tweeter to tweeter and 12 feet from tweeter to ear= 1.2

With a room that size I personally would separate them more. If they are on casters it is an easy experiment

Reactions: MRJAZZ

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My personal thoughts Christian having owned Wilson speakers for 25 years that you will get better focus and imaging with a slight toe in. Use a laser light to help

The only other caveat is that Wilson stresses the ratio of distance from tweeter to ear divided by the distance from tweeter to tweeter should be between 1.0-1.25

Yours is 1.33 (12/9 =1.33)

Just a thought is to consider that ratio. The only person to prove that wrong to me was ossify whose ratio when I was there was 0.88 and it sounded fabulous. Your positioning might be improved with a gentle toe in

Mine are 10 feet from tweeter to tweeter and 12 feet from tweeter to ear= 1.2

With a room that size I personally would separate them more. If they are on casters it is an easy experiment

I will try that. Very easy to experiment with spread distance and toe with rollers on. I will push each speaker out 6” to achieve 10’ spread.

Reactions: Steve Williams

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I’m still working that out Steve with ears and mind ;). This change was suggested by David. I may try a bit of toe to ascertain differences good or bad. As l listen now, it sounds very good, balanced and natural. Full toe like I had Before David arrived yielded bloated/smeared mid bass it seems. In the smaller compressed space, full toe worked well. It is too soon to tell whether this is the final configuration or some combo of light toe and mid/tweet module adjustment. Rollers are staying on speakers until I’m sure what’s best for my situation.
In spite of some manufacturers recommdations I always find straight setup when done right yields much more expansive and natural results. Toe in will give some center focus at the expense of natural airliness and openness filling the the listening space, it’s main advantage is that you get results, ie center fill quickly and with relative ease.

Before reverting to toe in try moving the speakers back a little to midway on the strip of wood where we left it.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
In spite of some manufacturers recommdations I always find straight setup when done right yields much more expansive and natural results. Toe in will give some center focus at the expense of natural airliness and openness filling the the listening space, it’s main advantage is that you get results, ie center fill quickly and with relative ease.

Before reverting to toe in try moving the speakers back a little to midway on the strip of wood where we left it.

david
Btw, did you have some fun with the snowmobile. Would be fun to see you two on snowmobile with paintball gun going at each other.

Tang :D

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

david

A friend got very similar advice from Manolis of Tune Audio with regards to the setup of his Anima horns and the outcome really worked out much better in the end. I’ve traditionally gone a near field setup with considerable toe in with most speakers so it has become a kind of default approach for me but think I definitely need to explore this approach more, especially with my horns.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Me too, I've locked in to a really expressive, detailed sound sitting 10-11' back w reasonable toe in, time to try my Zus closer to straight on to compare.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
A friend got very similar advice from Manolis of Tune Audio with regards to the setup of his Anima horns and the outcome really worked out much better in the end. I’ve traditionally gone a near field setup with considerable toe in with most speakers so it has become a kind of default approach for me but think I definitely need to explore this approach more, especially with my horns.
Nearfield is no different, it takes a bit longer to zero in the speakers but end result is much more satisfying.
david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Btw, did you have some fun with the snowmobile. Would be fun to see you two on snowmobile with paintball gun going at each other.

Tang :D
I wish, it was snowing all day and it was dark by the time we got done but on the way home I played snowmobil with my friend’s Cayenne and found out that people in upstate NY get mad when you pass them :D fast!

david

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Guys

What is under the Nothing Rack? Looks like a stone slab of some sort...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

david

Perhaps David but being outside the magic ratio of 1.25 gives me some pause. Wilson speakers were designed collectively to be set up in the exact same fashion. I also disagree about no toe in. EVERY manual for every Wilson speaker ever made has the same set up guidelines. Are you saying you know better than Dave and how he designed his speakers. If done correctly it is tantamount to only a very slight toe in. Use a laser light as it helps immensely

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing