If you could travel back in time, what would you tell yourself as a young audiophile?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just curious what lessons you learned as an experienced audiophile that you wish you knew at a much younger age.

To understand which performances on tapes and records to get, load up on them, and then audition with them to select rest of the gear

Be careful when buying foreign products being newly introduced in the US. Trying to get them repaired can become a futile experience.

Reactions: Lee
Don't sell your old records when everyone else is selling (like when the CD craze started). Larry

Son, go and buy yourself chalet in Swiss alps and house at seaside and bring as many chiquita's as you possibly can - life is short.
Don't anybody trick you to go into HiFi - it's a black hole (especially void tubes) :p
1662406421772.png

Do more research and save up to buy better gear from the outset, not doing so cost more in the long run. Not implying that I still wouldn't have made changes along the way, I have/do, but they would have been more selective and fewer in number.

Well one is vinyl a big one
nit only the rock ones
I was a dj in the golden error of disco
I had thousands of club pressings
radio releases
promo releases all vinyl
what dumb ass for just letting it go
next would be the now vintage cars
corvets , two camaros 69 and 70
gto 66
barracuda fast back
what young smuck to sell each to buy the next one

Reactions: mtemur and Lee
Buy a modest system and invest the money in Crypto,Tech Stocks or Real Estate.

I'd like to have a time machine to go back and buy every good early Blue Note/Impulse/Prestige/Columbia/Strata East pressing in sight. And a mint set of Gretsch Round Badge, Camco Oaklawn, a handful of Radio King snares, and a full complement of Turkish K's.

Just curious what lessons you learned as an experienced audiophile that you wish you knew at a much younger age.
trust your OWN ears.

Reactions: Lee
Invent stereo (whoops too late)… and burn mofi

Get in and buy as much good music along the way and build a great library from early on and continue to build on it and treasure it as the core of your understanding. Explore gear widely to develop and refine your instincts for what connects you to listening to music the most. Don’t get sold into the endless update thing but explore and then decide your priorities and choose accordingly.

Don’t forget it all started with the passion for music and it will end full cycle back again with the passion for music.

Don’t waste money buying audio magazines… put it all into buying more music instead. Just joking Tim… but after all these years you are still one of the few reviewers that I read.

Develop your understanding of music all the way along and stay true to the source of your passion and in the start of assessing your system and again in summation let your connection to the music be your ultimate benchmark and your guide.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing