"If you don't have a $200k [speaker]..."

and yet arent you the person that said setting Wilsons is easy just read the graph?

It may be easier for Jim Smith since has experience and the skill set.
It wasn't so easy for the 9 pairs at MOC and in many other places.
There is a wide diversity here and to me there seems to be a bit of the "kings new clothes"
I don't hear the same widely diverse results from other brands.

Lastly just because one claims some techincal advance does not mean that it is a sonic advance.

Making a different basket or naming a material with a letter or building a new footer is at worse marketing BS and maybe something better but if it is its not because it said so in the literature

You misunderstood. I was talking about the driver settings or "nomograph" as Wilson calls it. It's literally just looking up the number setting on an X-Y table.

The speaker placement in my room was done primarily by Jim Smith.

As for my zirconium references in earlier posts, that is from my experience of hearing zirconium footers versus other materials. It was a factory demo with blind listening at Ansuz. You can clearly hear the benefit of the zirconium when the footers were switched out. With Continuum the non-resonant nature of their magnesium-zirconium turntable alloy was based on noted materials scientists based on their work on the Australian Bell.

Hi Rob,

Did you notice that you are now referring to time response? We have now four different combinations of "time something" that are not equivalent - it is why it is not black and white. David Wilson speakers only fit one of them - and their writings and manuals just refer to the possibility and methods of time alignment of their speakers.

Hello Micro

Well now have me curious. How do you see 4 different combo's???

You have physical driver spacing and a crossover that combine to give you a single triangular spike viewing a step response.

This gives you polarity and clearly shows in milli-seconds any arrival time differences between drivers and any time offset's from using high order crossovers. This is at a single measurement point in space as it will change with physical location. Must be measured on the designed axis.

Then you have everything else that does not meet the criteria. I see 2 clearly what are the other 2 combinations??

If I understand Wilson's take on this he uses separate enclosures that can be adjusted to aligned the arrival to a point in space determined by speaker geometry at a fixed distance and height. They are in an arc to help align the acoustic centers of the drivers or stepped baffles. .

Is that correct???

Rob :)

Last edited:
As for my zirconium references in earlier posts, that is from my experience of hearing zirconium footers versus other materials. It was a factory demo with blind listening at Ansuz.

This is more or less the reason i never read reviews anymore .
Seems all far fetched/ exaggerated to me.
They could fool with me with that when i started in audio , the 2003 -2009 era :)

This is more or less the reason i never read reviews anymore .
Seems all far fetched/ exaggerated to me.
They could fool with me with that when i started in audio , the 2003 -2009 era :)
If you don’t think different materials in footers can be heard then you lack experience in this area. The sound change is quite noticeable as you go up the Ansuz Darkz line and you get better materials.

If you don’t think different materials in footers can be heard then you lack experience in this area. The sound change is quite noticeable as you go up the Ansuz Darkz line and you get better materials.
Zirconium is old news
Wait until you hear Unobtainium

The setup of WA speakers is included in the price! Can you name other brands that do this? When I bought my Sashas, 2 guys flied in from another city and spent the whole day unpacking and then setting up my new speakers. They certainly were not Jim Smith :), but they did an excellent job.

Reactions: christoph
The setup of WA speakers is included in the price! Can you name other brands that do this? When I bought my Sashas, 2 guys flied in from another city and spent the whole day unpacking and then setting up my new speakers. They certainly were not Jim Smith :), but they did an excellent job.
FYI Most Quality High End Speakers require their dealers to set up the speakers when they sell them. The dealers that just discount and ship a box and providing zero service to any customer and probably lack the ability to do it.
Some manufacturers/distributors seriously care about the results but not all.
Gobel speakers are all don like that since I am the distributor I can state that easily. I do know of quite a few others but certanly many companies just want the sale and dont care about the results.

Reactions: gleeds and KeithR
IMG_5545.jpeg

IMG_5556.jpeg

two types of time alignment for wilson speakers are shown in the picture, I prefer the second configuration (parallel drivers) .
the wilson manual gives you a table to adjust each driver position and the steps are not continues , those are discrete.

my wilson alexandria x2 series 1 (95db) was one of the best loudspeakers in Iran, it was in very effortless in dynamics both macro and micro, large scale and also was very natural. Many modern dynamic driver speakers are compress (in dynamics) but many prefer compress sound because of feeling of transparency, Wilson big speakers are not compress and those are my favorite speakers.
I had a comparison between TAD R1 and Alexandria last year in my showroom. It was very interesting comparison.

IMG_5557.jpeg

Reactions: Lagonda and Lee
FYI Most Quality High End Speakers require their dealers to set up the speakers when they sell them. The dealers that just discount and ship a box and providing zero service to any customer and probably lack the ability to do it.
Gobel speakers are all don like that since I am the distributor I can state that easily. I do know of quite a few others but certanly many companies just want the sale and dont care about the results.
I did not know this. Are you saying that Magico or Rockport or Kharma etc. train their dealers in speaker setup? I’ve never heard of a Magico speaker setup routine? Is it mentioned in the manual? I am just curious, I’ll call the Magico distributor tomorrow and check if the speaker setup is included in the purchase price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee
I m responsible for installing Oil extraction Machinery worldwide costing up to millions of Euros .
I deal with machined parts of all kinds of materials on a daily basis

Selling machinery made from a variety of material and listening to the use of the material in audio devices are two different things. Until you experience the Ansuz Darkz demo you don't have an informed opinion.

The names you mentioned dont really need it that much
If you have to fiddle with speaker placement for days on end to get an acceptable balance , the design is flawed

Not true. Stirling Trayle and Jim Smith take several days to setup any brand of loudspeaker. It's not the speaker so much as the speaker & room interaction.

I think one thing that does make Wilson unique is the high degree of dealer training they do. They literally fly every dealer in for days of training. I think they are unique in having a very precise methodology in the WASP setup as well.

Not true. Stirling Trayle and Jim Smith take several days to setup any brand of loudspeaker. It's not the speaker so much as the speaker & room interaction.

How many more days did they need at munich 23 Lee, i assume sterling did the wilson CH room this year also ?
I listened for an hour and a half to CH / Rockport lyra at Munich 22 .
And back and forth i listened for about an hour to the CH/ Wilson Alexx V in the same room this year 23 , same amps and sources afaik
Just focusing on the the bass output the wilson with sub wasn t in the same league as the Rockport without sub , impact / definition/ extension
You can move the wilson as close to the wall as you want and add the sub ( close to the wall what they did ) fact is the bass output isnt in proportion to the rest of the speaker , same issue with DAW and a couple of other wilson set ups.

Last edited:
How many more days did they need at munich 23 Lee, i assume sterling did the wilson CH room this year also ?
I listened for an hour and a half to CH / Rockport lyra at Munich 22 .
And back and forth i listened for about an hour to the CH/ Wilson Alexx V in the same room this year .
Just focusing on the the bass output the wilson with sub wasn t in the same league as the Rockport without sub
You can move the wilson as close to the wall as you want and add the sub fact is the bass output isnt in proportion to the rest of the speaker , same issue with DAW and a couple of other wilson set ups

I wasn't at Munich so I don't know if Stirling was involved or not and, if so, how many hours he had to dial it in.

I can report that my own pair of LoKes with my Alexia Vs produce sublime bass and spatial information. I am happy to give Jim Smith credit for that.

I did not know this. Are you saying that Magico or Rockport or Kharma etc. train their dealers in speaker setup? I’ve never heard of a Magico speaker setup routine? Is it mentioned in the manual? I am just curious, I’ll call the Magico distributor tomorrow and check if the speaker setup is included in the purchase price.
I cant speak for each companies policies or training however with my company and with others I have been associated with in the past the set up and delivery of the speakers and or the gear ( some companies require this as well like CH and Wadax) . I know that Rockport cares among others. I cant speak on Magico as my association with them went very poorly .
Just because they don't have a specified process that is kin to thier own product does not mean that they don't expect the dealer to be able to set them up.
If a dealer cant set it up why do you purchase from them? Its just the price . If thats it you want only the cheapest available you will get very little service naturally.

Reactions: Dierkx1
I think one thing that does make Wilson unique is the high degree of dealer training they do. They literally fly every dealer in for days of training. I think they are unique in having a very precise methodology in the WASP setup as well.
so does that make them experts? that they had a few days of training. Please I know you are smarter than that to believe watching someone set up a speaker once while you take notes qualifies you as a set up expert.
I sent plenty of employees for training they learned something but they were never experts from the training.
Maybe there are a dozen people worldwide qualified to set up an XVX properly. Maybe

Reactions: Alrainbow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu