iFi audio ZEN Stream - The Official Thread

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
We are pleased to announce that the Zen Stream is also Roon Ready now!

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Is BubbleUPnP your main streaming method? How would you compare it to the other platforms/software?
Yes, I use BubbleUPnP almost exclusively for streaming. I was using QNAP QMusic, tried Plex, and MediaMonkey but they were not intuitive, made no sense to me. JRiver was complicated, I want simple. I researched MConnect and almost everyone said it was clumsy and limited compared to BubbleUPnP.

I used Volumio and tried Moode, Rune and others when I was running a secondary Raspberry Pi system. Volumio was OK but nowhere near as reliable or powerful as BubbleUPnP.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Yes, I use BubbleUPnP almost exclusively for streaming. I was using QNAP QMusic, tried Plex, and MediaMonkey but they were not intuitive, made no sense to me. JRiver was complicated, I want simple. I researched MConnect and almost everyone said it was clumsy and limited compared to BubbleUPnP.

I used Volumio and tried Moode, Rune and others when I was running a secondary Raspberry Pi system. Volumio was OK but nowhere near as reliable or powerful as BubbleUPnP.
I am happy you found your Grail.
I think it is key to stress that BubbleUPnP Server is not an UPnP/DLNA media server: it does not index your media. Do you have any other tips about Bubble other people could learn from?

mojoe07

Apr 2, 2022
Hi there,

Just joined this forum as I was trying to search for an answer. I used to have an MQA DAC, but have since upgraded to one that is Non-MQA. I am looking for a streamer that can decode MQA at the 1st fold and it seems like the Zen Stream can do that... or used to? I think there were some forums that say that it no longer can. I have been trying to find the answer but can't seem to get the info.

iFi is also not listed in https://www.mqa.co.uk/playback-devices under Network Streamers

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Generally iFi Audio supports MQA. It should designate on the package or instructions.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I am happy you found your Grail.
I think it is key to stress that BubbleUPnP Server is not an UPnP/DLNA media server: it does not index your media. Do you have any other tips about Bubble other people could learn from?
I don't use the BubbleUPnP server, I use Minimserver in my NAS. I only use BubbleUPnP as a controller on my Android phone. It does everything I need and more.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi there,

Just joined this forum as I was trying to search for an answer. I used to have an MQA DAC, but have since upgraded to one that is Non-MQA. I am looking for a streamer that can decode MQA at the 1st fold and it seems like the Zen Stream can do that... or used to? I think there were some forums that say that it no longer can. I have been trying to find the answer but can't seem to get the info.

iFi is also not listed in https://www.mqa.co.uk/playback-devices under Network Streamers
There is a new firmware update coming this week, so stay tuned.

Cantante

Apr 5, 2022
There is a new firmware update coming this week, so stay tuned.
Hi there, I am wondering if that new firmware will help with this?
My Ifi Zen stream rig sounds really good except there is an annoying issue which I cannot solve. Brand new unit.
Set up via wifi was successful.
Using Tidal Connect via IPad.
Issue: Upon playback of a Tidal master track there is a distinct regular crackle/squelch in the higher musical frequencies (somewhere around cymbal frequency) which seems to persist at same level even when volume is low. ie the crackle is not much affected by volume and seems to ride with the beat of the music. It is the kind of sound that you often hear when the battery on your audio device is getting low.
Have reasonably eliminated all external device issues i.e changed digital
coax cable, changed DAC/Amp (no battery this time) , changed headphone cable, changed headphones, still persists and wait…was given a replacement Zen Stream and same issue. So it points to the Zen Stream compatibility or settings.
It really does sound like a digital artifact that I am hearing, not a mechanical one or loose cable etc.
Q. When setting up in Ifi.local is there anything else I need to do apart from connect to the wifi? Is there some MQA setting I have missed?

Apart from the crackle the overall combination of the ZS and the micro IDSD is very good indeed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi there,

It is worth stressing that the Zen Stream is a pure transport (also MQA pass-through).

Reactions: mojoe07

mojoe07

Apr 2, 2022
It is worth stressing that the Zen Stream is a pure transport (also MQA pass-through).
Yes I understand. I have a non-MQA DAC so I wanted at least the 1st unfold to be done by the streamer. Just saw the update so that's great news on getting the MQA certification!

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@Cantante happy to hear that!

@mojoe07 thank you! We're so happy that it's coming now. Lots of people were waiting for that. You will have your first unfold, no sweat. It's a great start to enjoying MQA. Are you using Tidal, or MQA files?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@mojoe07 have you tried MQA files? It's a controversial topic, but it's good to try and make up your own mind. Here is a nice sampler that'll allow you to compare MQA to hires PCM, and DSD.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing