iFi audio ZEN Stream - The Official Thread

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello,
New to this forum. I have recently installed a Zen Stream in my system and like the sound very much, but I have a somewhat serious issue. When I first turn the Stream on and start the local web page and press play the volume goes to 100% even though I have the volume (software) set to a low value and have set limits on the volume. The last time this happened my woofer amp was damaged (burnt component) and I had to replace fuses in my other amps. I have an actively crossover speaker system with 6 analog channels feeding the speakers. I am unable to put a preamp in the system to limit volume. I am using a minidsp 4x10 HD for parametric crossovers and DAC.
I have submitted this to iFi support but have not gotten any response yet.
Can anyone help with how to stop the stream from outputting max volume. I believe that given enough time the software volume does come into play after startup. As stated I have 6 analog channels and don't have a hardware volume.
Thanks for any help!
Tim
Sorry to hear about your issue. It's good that you have placed a support ticket. I'll take a look at that on my own and see if I have the same issue as you do. Maybe we can work something out together.

tkspeaker

May 12, 2022
Sorry to hear about your issue. It's good that you have placed a support ticket. I'll take a look at that on my own and see if I have the same issue as you do. Maybe we can work something out together.
Thanks for your response and any help in the future. It gives me some confidence that I can get this resolved.
Tim

tkspeaker

May 12, 2022
Thanks for your response and any help in the future. It gives me some confidence that I can get this resolved.
Tim
So, just an update as to what I have done to alleviate the issue of max volume from the zen stream. My initial setup was running the Zen Stream standalone using the ifi.local setup. I upgraded to the latest firmware, set the volume to software with limits, and setup a NAS connection. I then streamed Tidal to the Zen Stream from my laptop by selecting the ifi Zen Stream device (Tidal Connect) as the audio device for playback. When selecting the ifi device the volume went to 100% when I started a track even though I had set limits in the ifi local setup. This caused damage to my system.
I normally play audio using Roon but wanted to try bypassing Roon to see how it performed on its own. After the initial setup above I decided to try Roon and integrate the Zen Stream into it. Since I had already set software volume, etc. in the Zen Stream Roon didn't integrate it quite correctly. I wasn't able to use the DSP volume control in Roon. I assumed that the Zen Stream was preset from previously and I "reset" the Zen Stream and started over. Powering up the Zen Stream and then starting Roon now gave me a different iFi device and I was able to use the Roon DSP volume. Everything is working well now except ifi.local doesn't work which may be good in my situation. I think that Roon sets the Zen Stream to a static IP which is different than ifi.local.
Anyway, my system is working and am not having troubles with 100% volume happening.
Could AMR please tell me if I am off base here and if reseting the Zen Stream was indeed necessary.
Thanks for any help,
Tim

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
So, just an update as to what I have done to alleviate the issue of max volume from the zen stream. My initial setup was running the Zen Stream standalone using the ifi.local setup. I upgraded to the latest firmware, set the volume to software with limits, and setup a NAS connection. I then streamed Tidal to the Zen Stream from my laptop by selecting the ifi Zen Stream device (Tidal Connect) as the audio device for playback. When selecting the ifi device the volume went to 100% when I started a track even though I had set limits in the ifi local setup. This caused damage to my system.
I normally play audio using Roon but wanted to try bypassing Roon to see how it performed on its own. After the initial setup above I decided to try Roon and integrate the Zen Stream into it. Since I had already set software volume, etc. in the Zen Stream Roon didn't integrate it quite correctly. I wasn't able to use the DSP volume control in Roon. I assumed that the Zen Stream was preset from previously and I "reset" the Zen Stream and started over. Powering up the Zen Stream and then starting Roon now gave me a different iFi device and I was able to use the Roon DSP volume. Everything is working well now except ifi.local doesn't work which may be good in my situation. I think that Roon sets the Zen Stream to a static IP which is different than ifi.local.
Anyway, my system is working and am not having troubles with 100% volume happening.
Could AMR please tell me if I am off base here and if reseting the Zen Stream was indeed necessary.
Thanks for any help,
Tim
Thank you for your detailed comment. It helps a lot. As I have promised, I tried this with my unit. I did 10 cycles of power-up, play, shut-down. Every time it work okay, the Zen Stream held to the volume settings. Then I searched about Tidal overriding volume control in devices and there are some reports about that happening with different devices, not namely the iFi. That's all I have for now.

tkspeaker

May 12, 2022
Thank you for your detailed comment. It helps a lot. As I have promised, I tried this with my unit. I did 10 cycles of power-up, play, shut-down. Every time it work okay, the Zen Stream held to the volume settings. Then I searched about Tidal overriding volume control in devices and there are some reports about that happening with different devices, not namely the iFi. That's all I have for now.
I indeed use Tidal Connect and it would most often default to my laptop system speakers and I would have to then select ifi and ifi would be often set to 100%. Although the last time the streamer went to 100% I was using the ifi local connection and trying to play a web radio station. The 100% volume happened so fast that I couldn't react fast enough to shut it down. It may have only been at 100% for a brief time and then adjusted itself to the volume that I had set, but I am not sure of this. When I looked at the volume level on the ifi local web site it was set to the low volume level I had previously set it too. Don't know what else I could have done to alleviate the issue.

dans6959

Jul 14, 2013
@AMR / iFi audio i just got a zen streamer to replace a raspberry pi and I can’t seem to ge it to connect to the 5GHz band of my Wi-Fi network.

I’m using an eero mesh network and I think it has something to do with the wireless channel. Other devices are connected to channel 128. Is there a way to force the zen to use channel 128 or some other trick to get it on the 5GHz band?

On 2.4ghz it can’t reliably stream dsd256 via NAA.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@AMR / iFi audio i just got a zen streamer to replace a raspberry pi and I can’t seem to ge it to connect to the 5GHz band of my Wi-Fi network.

I’m using an eero mesh network and I think it has something to do with the wireless channel. Other devices are connected to channel 128. Is there a way to force the zen to use channel 128 or some other trick to get it on the 5GHz band?

On 2.4ghz it can’t reliably stream dsd256 via NAA.
Thank you for your feedback. What you can try to do about your issue:
1. Try to move the router and the Zen Stream if possible. Sometimes there are some zones with bad reception of Wi-Fi even when pretty close together.
2. How exactly does your problem look like? Can you see the 5GHz network in settings? When the error with connection appears?
3. When you have a connection with 5GHz and it is unstable it might be a good idea to try setting the Zen Stream in a static IP mode.

May 11, 2022
Does anybody know if the iFi app/ software now provides "native" support for qobuz, i.e. you can run qobuz directly at its full resolution capabilities, via the zen stream as opposed to using MConnect or other software?

Do people still experience myriad issues with this software?

I want this product to meet my needs but it seems like everyone is getting stuck in the weeds with issues. I am also considering Lumin which by all accounts is great. But a SIGNIFICANTLY higher cost ...

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Does anybody know if the iFi app/ software now provides "native" support for qobuz, i.e. you can run qobuz directly at its full resolution capabilities, via the zen stream as opposed to using MConnect or other software?

Do people still experience myriad issues with this software?

I want this product to meet my needs but it seems like everyone is getting stuck in the weeds with issues. I am also considering Lumin which by all accounts is great. But a SIGNIFICANTLY higher cost ...
As I have mentioned in a DM, Quobuz is incompatible with the Zen Stream.

Regarding the software, we're working tirelessly to fix any bugs that surface. Thanks to users of this, and other forums it usually goes pretty quickly.

If it's possible I encourage you to ask a dealer for an audition at your place, so you can make up your own mind.

Reactions: SpacemanSpiff88

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
@AMR / iFi audio Glad to hear iFi is trying to improve the software. Though since market entry this has been a very tough ride for users.
And still currently there is no official new firmware release, just the beta being out for a long time now.

I do hope than we see a progress soon here.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@AMR / iFi audio Glad to hear iFi is trying to improve the software. Though since market entry this has been a very tough ride for users.
And still currently there is no official new firmware release, just the beta being out for a long time now.

I do hope than we see a progress soon here.
The latest firmware update was in April this year. We are relating updates when they are ready to provide you with a smooth and stable solution. We would instead do it this way then rush unfinished updates that break more than they fix ;)

Is there anything you are waiting for in particular? What are your wishes for the next update?

Reactions: gvyt36785

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
T
The latest firmware update was in April this year. We are relating updates when they are ready to provide you with a smooth and stable solution. We would instead do it this way then rush unfinished updates that break more than they fix ;)

Is there anything you are waiting for in particular? What are your wishes for the next update?
Thanks for the quick reply. I absolutely do understand that iFi is cautious in the meantime after the initial troubles with the firmware ;-)

The single most important area for me (and from what I read across the Internet to most others too) is a top working environment for ROON.
So that should be working solidly with various highres formats and connections (SPDIF, USB etc). Highly appreciated would be of course also what other vendors of streamers are doing in providing a firmware update that further optimizes sound quality.

I think it would be really an important sign to doubting users interested in streamers or the ZEN in particular to come up with another official release and show them they can rely on it - and there is an ongoing development (not just bug fixing but also improvements).

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
T

Thanks for the quick reply. I absolutely do understand that iFi is cautious in the meantime after the initial troubles with the firmware ;-)

The single most important area for me (and from what I read across the Internet to most others too) is a top working environment for ROON.
So that should be working solidly with various highres formats and connections (SPDIF, USB etc). Highly appreciated would be of course also what other vendors of streamers are doing in providing a firmware update that further optimizes sound quality.

I think it would be really an important sign to doubting users interested in streamers or the ZEN in particular to come up with another official release and show them they can rely on it - and there is an ongoing development (not just bug fixing but also improvements).
This is a fair point. I'll be posting more technical-related side of new firmware versions here. That should answer many questions. Lately, I've been using my Stream with Roon, and it works perfectly well. We had an official certification from Roon a few months back, so it's all in the green now.

jabbaman73

Aug 23, 2022
Hi All,

New to this forum but I've just spent several hours completely reorganising my office and plugging my new toys in.

I've got the Zen Stream plugged into Ethernet. I'm using the provided Power Supply and USB cable connected to a Zen Dac v2. I've got the ifi Pentaconn to Pentaconn cable connected from the Dac to a Zen Can (with the included base iPower PSU). My Grado SR80x's are plugged into the Can. Everything worked straight away and Tidal Connect started banging out MQA tracks and the sound is great!

I've read the forum but can't find a definitive answer on power supplies. Should I invest in ifi Power X supplies for the three components or is it not worth the investment? As much as I'd love to invest in linear power I can't justify it as I'm deliberately building a budget system but I want to optimise it fully within the frame of "budget"!

I've also got a Topping PA5 connected to the Can but my speakers aren't being delivered until later today!

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi All,

New to this forum but I've just spent several hours completely reorganising my office and plugging my new toys in.

I've got the Zen Stream plugged into Ethernet. I'm using the provided Power Supply and USB cable connected to a Zen Dac v2. I've got the ifi Pentaconn to Pentaconn cable connected from the Dac to a Zen Can (with the included base iPower PSU). My Grado SR80x's are plugged into the Can. Everything worked straight away and Tidal Connect started banging out MQA tracks and the sound is great!

I've read the forum but can't find a definitive answer on power supplies. Should I invest in ifi Power X supplies for the three components or is it not worth the investment? As much as I'd love to invest in linear power I can't justify it as I'm deliberately building a budget system but I want to optimise it fully within the frame of "budget"!

I've also got a Topping PA5 connected to the Can but my speakers aren't being delivered until later today!
Thank you for choosing our products!
I don't think that going with three iPower X is the best possible investment. I would instead try the AC iPurifier. Why is that you ask?

You only need one AC iPurifier for the whole stack, so it will be better in terms of price-to-performance ratio. Eventually, you can get AC iPurifier and one iPower X for the DAC, which is the most sensitive. That's what we would do when building a budget setup.

When pairing your Topping PA5 with the Zen stack, please connect it to the DAC via RCA, not to the CAN. It's a shorter signal path, that should give you a better sound :)

jabbaman73

Aug 23, 2022
Thank you for choosing our products!
I don't think that going with three iPower X is the best possible investment. I would instead try the AC iPurifier. Why is that you ask?

You only need one AC iPurifier for the whole stack, so it will be better in terms of price-to-performance ratio. Eventually, you can get AC iPurifier and one iPower X for the DAC, which is the most sensitive. That's what we would do when building a budget setup.

When pairing your Topping PA5 with the Zen stack, please connect it to the DAC via RCA, not to the CAN. It's a shorter signal path, that should give you a better sound :)
Thanks for the speedy and comprehensive reply, much appreciated.

I've now got an AC purifier and an iPower X on order, and some RCA to TRS cables!

Can I ask two more questions please? Whilst connecting the DAC straight to the Amp makes sense in terms of a shorter signal path, I did assume that the Can would add some oomph as a Pre Amp and that the Pentaconn to TRS connection would be better quality than RCA. Is that not logically correct?

And for my second question, I have three beautiful ifi devices on my desk and the black lump that is the Topping, when will ifi release a speaker amp?!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks for the speedy and comprehensive reply, much appreciated.

I've now got an AC purifier and an iPower X on order, and some RCA to TRS cables!

Can I ask two more questions please? Whilst connecting the DAC straight to the Amp makes sense in terms of a shorter signal path, I did assume that the Can would add some oomph as a Pre Amp and that the Pentaconn to TRS connection would be better quality than RCA. Is that not logically correct?

And for my second question, I have three beautiful ifi devices on my desk and the black lump that is the Topping, when will ifi release a speaker amp?!
There is logic in what you said about using the Zen CAN as a preamp. I think I would still recommend a shorter signal path, but you are welcome to try it both ways.

I'm asking about the power amp all the time! :D

Reactions: jabbaman73

jabbaman73

Aug 23, 2022
There is logic in what you said about using the Zen CAN as a preamp. I think I would still recommend a shorter signal path, but you are welcome to try it both ways.

I'm asking about the power amp all the time! :D
Thank you for this. The Pentaconn to RCA cable is already connected and still sounding sweet - I will do some A/B testing at some point out of curiosity.

On a related note, my stream is connected via Ethernet. When I try to connect to it via IP address for the management interface I get a lovely error to say the IP refused to connect. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks once again.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thank you for this. The Pentaconn to RCA cable is already connected and still sounding sweet - I will do some A/B testing at some point out of curiosity.

On a related note, my stream is connected via Ethernet. When I try to connect to it via IP address for the management interface I get a lovely error to say the IP refused to connect. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks once again.
Which mode of the Zen Stream are you using? It's available via IP only in AIO mode. In others this is shut down to reduce the load on a processor and to reduce the noise.

Reactions: jabbaman73

jabbaman73

Aug 23, 2022
Which mode of the Zen Stream are you using? It's available via IP only in AIO mode. In others this is shut down to reduce the load on a processor and to reduce the noise.
Brilliant! I'm on Tidal mode as that's my only digital source (currently). Will switch into AIO at some point to take a look at the interface.

Many thanks yet again!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing