iFi audio ZEN Stream - The Official Thread

Thank you for your kind words!
Yes, the Zen Stream has a FIFO buffer that can work up to 64MB (stock setting is 32MB). It also has a configurable pre-load of a track to ensure smooth playback.
Yes, I have my buffer set to 64MB with the maximum pre-load configured and connected by Wi-Fi (takes away all the madness around Ethernet isolation etc.) and my SQ is great.

On a tangent, does anyone have any experience with adding a DDC between the Zen Stream and their DAC?

I'm considering the Denafrips IRIS and Gustard U18 at present.

Yes, I have my buffer set to 64MB with the maximum pre-load configured and connected by Wi-Fi (takes away all the madness around Ethernet isolation etc.) and my SQ is great.

On a tangent, does anyone have any experience with adding a DDC between the Zen Stream and their DAC?

I'd be interested to know this also, and is there indeed any benefit in adding a DDC to the chain? Also interested to know how to change the buffer setting on the Zen (not that I need to at present!)?

I'd be interested to know this also, and is there indeed any benefit in adding a DDC to the chain? Also interested to know how to change the buffer setting on the Zen (not that I need to at present!)?
Hi Michael,

Buffer changes are easy. Firstly you need to enable 'Full Settings Mode'. Head into http://ifi.local/ and select 'System'. Then select the 'Show Advanced Settings' dropdown and 'Full Settings Mode' - and click Save.

The web interface will briefly reload. Head into 'Playback Options' and under 'General Playback Options' you will see various options of which 'Audio Buffer Size' and 'Buffer Before Play' are the ones we need here.

I personally prefer Wi-Fi as it is effectively galvanically isolated and doesn't have the RFI/EMI and Jitter concerns that Ethernet brings to SQ and having the buffer set to max complements Wi-Fi well (though my home Wi-Fi is superb!)

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio
And just like that ifi throws a curve ball with the Neo Stream. The included Optibox takes away any concerns about Ethernet versus WiFi. The integrated streamer and DAC removes any concern about needing a DDC to reclock the USB. Is this a game-changer?

I think it might be. I was seriously considering an Auralic Aries G1.1 and a Denafrips IRIS but together they would cost more than the Neo Stream! I could then sell my existing Zen Stream and Denafrips Ares II, plus my USB cable and iPurifier3 and the whole thing pays for itself!

I love my Ares II though so do I become a two-system household and have the Neo Stream in the family room with some active speakers?! Decisions, decisions. Well played ifi. Just need to sort out the interface and Qobuz integration then you will have a sale!

DDC might be a good idea. We have two of those, but that might not be obvious at first look. The iPurifier 3 and SPDIF iPurifier 2 are Digital-to-Digital Converters, but they mainly focus on noise cancelling and reclocking the signal. So if you want to try them, go ahead. We got feedback from forum users worldwide that it makes a noticeable difference.

And just like that ifi throws a curve ball with the Neo Stream. The included Optibox takes away any concerns about Ethernet versus WiFi. The integrated streamer and DAC removes any concern about needing a DDC to reclock the USB. Is this a game-changer?

I think it might be. I was seriously considering an Auralic Aries G1.1 and a Denafrips IRIS but together they would cost more than the Neo Stream! I could then sell my existing Zen Stream and Denafrips Ares II, plus my USB cable and iPurifier3 and the whole thing pays for itself!

I love my Ares II though so do I become a two-system household and have the Neo Stream in the family room with some active speakers?! Decisions, decisions. Well played ifi. Just need to sort out the interface and Qobuz integration then you will have a sale!
Suprise! :)
I think the optical connection is a genius move by the RND team. Another cool idea is the industrial M12 connector for ethernet. We all know how reliable the RJ45 cables can be...

DDC might be a good idea. We have two of those, but that might not be obvious at first look. The iPurifier 3 and SPDIF iPurifier 2 are Digital-to-Digital Converters, but they mainly focus on noise cancelling and reclocking the signal. So if you want to try them, go ahead. We got feedback from forum users worldwide that it makes a noticeable difference.

Suprise! :)
I think the optical connection is a genius move by the RND team. Another cool idea is the industrial M12 connector for ethernet. We all know how reliable the RJ45 cables can be...
I have an iPurifier3 into my Ares II. Are you saying this is as robust as a dedicated DDC such as the IRIS or Gustard U18?

I have an iPurifier3 into my Ares II. Are you saying this is as robust as a dedicated DDC such as the IRIS or Gustard U18?
It's not at the same level, but relatively to its price the iPurifier brings an amazing improvement. A more expensive DDC will bring better performance since it has a more advanced power supply and better clocks (which take up space).

It's not at the same level, but relatively to its price the iPurifier brings an amazing improvement. A more expensive DDC will bring better performance since it has a more advanced power supply and better clocks (which take up space).
Thanks for a genuine response. I did like the iPurifier3 in my system but it has been made redundant by the much cheaper Douk U2 pro. I also have a Gustard U18 on order to evaluate.

Perhaps someone can point me to a setting I’ve missed. I’m setting up my Zen Stream for the first time, connecting it to a Holo May dac via usb. No matter what I do my volume control options in Roon are limited to either Device Volume or Fixed Volume. As my dac has no volume control and I don’t use a preamp, I need to use dsp volume control from within Roon. I have tried the various volume control settings in the ifi stream app and nothing helps.

Maybe it is :) What would be a priority for you in a DDC?
I'm glad you asked!

A range of inputs, not just USB, full galvanic isolation for all inputs and outputs. A fully isolated power supply using IEC. Option for clock in, internal clock out and clock passthrough (wishful) and a good range of outputs including USB but not powered (not all DACs support I2S and Coax doesn't have the same rate support as USB. Fully customisable I2S pin layouts. Oh, and you need to make a high quality external clock with multiple outputs too! That's all!

Perhaps someone can point me to a setting I’ve missed. I’m setting up my Zen Stream for the first time, connecting it to a Holo May dac via usb. No matter what I do my volume control options in Roon are limited to either Device Volume or Fixed Volume. As my dac has no volume control and I don’t use a preamp, I need to use dsp volume control from within Roon. I have tried the various volume control settings in the ifi stream app and nothing helps.
In the Zen Stream settings what do you have your mixer type set to?

I tried all three, None, Software, and Hardware. Roon still refuses to show dsp volume as an option.
Hello Phil,

I have checked that on my setup. Did you set up a volume control in Roon?

I changed the volume control from fixed to DSP, and it worked flawlessly without touching anything in Zen Stream's setup.

I'm glad you asked!

A range of inputs, not just USB, full galvanic isolation for all inputs and outputs. A fully isolated power supply using IEC. Option for clock in, internal clock out and clock passthrough (wishful) and a good range of outputs including USB but not powered (not all DACs support I2S and Coax doesn't have the same rate support as USB. Fully customisable I2S pin layouts. Oh, and you need to make a high quality external clock with multiple outputs too! That's all!
Thank you, I'll forward that to the RND, maybe they will bite :)

Hello Phil,

I have checked that on my setup. Did you set up a volume control in Roon?

I changed the volume control from fixed to DSP, and it worked flawlessly without touching anything in Zen Stream's setup.

Thank you, I'll forward that to the RND, maybe they will bite :)
I’d love to change the volume control from fixed to dsp in Roon, but that’s exactly the problem I’m having, there is no option to select dsp volume in Roon with the Zen Stream connected. I was previously using an Allo USBridge to connect to the Holo May dac with usb and selected dsp volume in Roon. However, on switching to the Zen Stream, Roon only presents me with fixed volume or device volume.

Attachments

• 79239348-3AE4-4444-980A-5C43021AA26F.jpeg
    79239348-3AE4-4444-980A-5C43021AA26F.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 9
Hi Michael,

Buffer changes are easy. Firstly you need to enable 'Full Settings Mode'. Head into http://ifi.local/ and select 'System'. Then select the 'Show Advanced Settings' dropdown and 'Full Settings Mode' - and click Save.

The web interface will briefly reload. Head into 'Playback Options' and under 'General Playback Options' you will see various options of which 'Audio Buffer Size' and 'Buffer Before Play' are the ones we need here.

I personally prefer Wi-Fi as it is effectively galvanically isolated and doesn't have the RFI/EMI and Jitter concerns that Ethernet brings to SQ and having the buffer set to max complements Wi-Fi well (though my home Wi-Fi is superb!)
This was most helpful, thank you!

I’d love to change the volume control from fixed to dsp in Roon, but that’s exactly the problem I’m having, there is no option to select dsp volume in Roon with the Zen Stream connected. I was previously using an Allo USBridge to connect to the Holo May dac with usb and selected dsp volume in Roon. However, on switching to the Zen Stream, Roon only presents me with fixed volume or device volume.

In Zen Stream's settings, set up the volume mixer to software. You can set up maximum and starting values which are very convenient. In Roon select the device volume in settings. That will allow you to control the volume in Roon.

In Zen Stream's settings, set up the volume mixer to software. You can set up maximum and starting values which are very convenient. In Roon select the device volume in settings. That will allow you to control the volume in Roon.
Thanks for the help. I’ve returned the Zen Stream and went back to my previous setup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing