iFi audio ZEN Stream - The Official Thread

fishermorgan

Nov 2, 2022
Question for ifi audio: Planning on using a SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) battery to power a soon to arrive Zen Stream. Battery specs are 12v/7.5a. I suspect the Stream will not draw anywhere near the available 7.5a amperage. Other than proper polarity (center positive), any issues here? I see that the included power supply packaged with the Stream is unbranded and 12v/1a. Would like to upgrade those specs. May consider an iPower Elite at a later date.
Thanks in advance!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Question for ifi audio: Planning on using a SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) battery to power a soon to arrive Zen Stream. Battery specs are 12v/7.5a. I suspect the Stream will not draw anywhere near the available 7.5a amperage. Other than proper polarity (center positive), any issues here? I see that the included power supply packaged with the Stream is unbranded and 12v/1a. Would like to upgrade those specs. May consider an iPower Elite at a later date.
Thanks in advance!
Hi @fishermorgan
I think you will be okay with the SLA. Fully charged, it has 14,4V, so still in the range for the Zen Stream. Unconventional approach, but I don't see any problems there.

fishermorgan

Nov 2, 2022
Hi @fishermorgan
I think you will be okay with the SLA. Fully charged, it has 14,4V, so still in the range for the Zen Stream. Unconventional approach, but I don't see any problems there.
Thanks for the reply. What got me thinking about battery power is the fact that I have successfully utilized that method for DIY Class D amplifiers in the past, have batteries and trickle charger on hand, and that the iFi website description of the iPower Elite includes the following: "The iPower Elite was designed to deliver the smooth and silent power. It gives your streamer/DAC/amplifier all the silent, clean power of a battery with none of the hassle."
I will report results of battery power vs. supplied wall wart.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks for the reply. What got me thinking about battery power is the fact that I have successfully utilized that method for DIY Class D amplifiers in the past, have batteries and trickle charger on hand, and that the iFi website description of the iPower Elite includes the following: "The iPower Elite was designed to deliver the smooth and silent power. It gives your streamer/DAC/amplifier all the silent, clean power of a battery with none of the hassle."
I will report results of battery power vs. supplied wall wart.
Yes, a battery is a very good power supply (but still not perfect). If you don't mind the inconvenience, then I think you will be happy with it.

mtangh

Nov 5, 2022
I have just got the zen streamer.
I am using tidal and seems to have this problem. The streamer cannot completely playing my playlist. For example if my playlist have 20 songs. It will randomly stop after playing a few songs. So i need go back in tidal app and continue the next song.
I am using tidal app in my android phone and use tidal connect. It is same problem whether i use wifi or ethernet. And same problem where i choose AIO or tidal mode. No 3.
Is there any settings i need to change? Welcome any feedback. Thanks ahead

Rischa

Apr 27, 2022
I got a new phone and now the set up process through the app won't work. I go through all steps of the process and then it reverts back to "connect a device." I would ask for help but I'll just get the runaround as usual.

I have to say this is my 2nd Zen Stream, and neither this or the first one worked correctly (first one returned because of similar set up issues). I'm very frustrated. It is not ok to use consumers as beta testers. The right thing to do is refund my money and take your junk back, but why would you do the right thing? More profitable to just screw people out of $400 and say you're diligently working on solutions.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have just got the zen streamer.
I am using tidal and seems to have this problem. The streamer cannot completely playing my playlist. For example if my playlist have 20 songs. It will randomly stop after playing a few songs. So i need go back in tidal app and continue the next song.
I am using tidal app in my android phone and use tidal connect. It is same problem whether i use wifi or ethernet. And same problem where i choose AIO or tidal mode. No 3.
Is there any settings i need to change? Welcome any feedback. Thanks ahead
We, and other manufacturers, are experiencing some problems with Tidal Connect functionality. We are doing our best, but the issue seems to be part of Tidal's implementation. We work closely with them to have it fixed as soon as possible. We are sorry, that you are experiencing that. Hopefully, it will be back to normal soon.
I got a new phone and now the set up process through the app won't work. I go through all steps of the process and then it reverts back to "connect a device." I would ask for help but I'll just get the runaround as usual.

I have to say this is my 2nd Zen Stream, and neither this or the first one worked correctly (first one returned because of similar set up issues). I'm very frustrated. It is not ok to use consumers as beta testers. The right thing to do is refund my money and take your junk back, but why would you do the right thing? More profitable to just screw people out of $400 and say you're diligently working on solutions.

We are sorry to hear that you are unsatisfied with our product. You can return it to your dealer if it doesn't meet your expectations.
Have you tried setting it up through the PC internet browser?

teddokun

Nov 8, 2022
Hi everyone.
i am new in here. i have just gotten my zenstream a couple of week ago.
i initially set it up and it works well with spotify.
few days ago i tried to connect with TIdal, and it kept telling me "failure to connect to network......."
i have done lots of reads etc and unable to connect.
maybe anyone could help me here? i kind a like Zen stream sound, although the dealer kept telling me to change the system.
I am keen to see and give one last push.
hoping anyone can help from here

Cheers

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi everyone.
i am new in here. i have just gotten my zenstream a couple of week ago.
i initially set it up and it works well with spotify.
few days ago i tried to connect with TIdal, and it kept telling me "failure to connect to network......."
i have done lots of reads etc and unable to connect.
maybe anyone could help me here? i kind a like Zen stream sound, although the dealer kept telling me to change the system.
I am keen to see and give one last push.
hoping anyone can help from here

Cheers
Hi @teddokun
Hopefully you haven't given up on Zen Stream yet, thanks. In which mode is your Zen Stream? Do you know your current software version? Are you connected via Wi-Fi, or cable? I know they are basic questions, but it might help :)

teddokun

Nov 8, 2022
Hi @teddokun
Hopefully you haven't given up on Zen Stream yet, thanks. In which mode is your Zen Stream? Do you know your current software version? Are you connected via Wi-Fi, or cable? I know they are basic questions, but it might help :)
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching.

Answering your questions:
1. I put in mode 1. General mode.

2. Software 2.29.5
I tried updating the software, but under the apps or the connection, it always says checking for update but doesn't move at all.

3. I am connected via wifi. The apps highlight that my connection speed is 80 Mbps (wonder if this is enough for mqa tidal needs)

4. In past 2 weeks, I have done a lot of resets etc. I have only once able to connect to tidal. However, I couldn't connect the next round I tried it again.

Thank you

Cheers

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching.

Answering your questions:
1. I put in mode 1. General mode.

2. Software 2.29.5
I tried updating the software, but under the apps or the connection, it always says checking for update but doesn't move at all.

3. I am connected via wifi. The apps highlight that my connection speed is 80 Mbps (wonder if this is enough for mqa tidal needs)

4. In past 2 weeks, I have done a lot of resets etc. I have only once able to connect to tidal. However, I couldn't connect the next round I tried it again.

Thank you

Cheers
1. That's good
2. It is not the most recent software. If you have problems with updating , you can try a few things: temporarily connecting via cable to the Internet. Trying to update via web browser interface or the smartphone app.
3. That should be enough
4. Have you tried the reset button behind the sticker, or only the power off and on sequence?

teddokun

Nov 8, 2022
1. That's good
2. It is not the most recent software. If you have problems with updating , you can try a few things: temporarily connecting via cable to the Internet. Trying to update via web browser interface or the smartphone app.
3. That should be enough
4. Have you tried the reset button behind the sticker, or only the power off and on sequence?
Hi

2. I have tried connecting via cable and ask the apps to update. Same thing happen. Kept waiting. Please see attached picture.

4. I have.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20221110_195124.jpg
    20221110_195124.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 7

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi

2. I have tried connecting via cable and ask the apps to update. Same thing happen. Kept waiting. Please see attached picture.

4. I have.

Cheers
How long did you wait? it can take up to 10 minutes sometimes to find an update.

Have you created a ticket in our support system? I encourage you to do that, they have better options to help than I do :)

dnnaudio

Aug 3, 2021
Hi. I am planning to get the Zen Stream but worried on the bad experiences mentioned here. My setup will be:

Windows PC w/ Audirvana 3.5 > wifi > Zen Stream > usb cable > Chord Qutest DAC > Amp > speakers

Given this setup am I likely to encounter the various issues of glitches others have seen? I have some tinkering expertise but rather little patience for an unreliable product. Thanks.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi. I am planning to get the Zen Stream but worried on the bad experiences mentioned here. My setup will be:

Windows PC w/ Audirvana 3.5 > wifi > Zen Stream > usb cable > Chord Qutest DAC > Amp > speakers

Given this setup am I likely to encounter the various issues of glitches others have seen? I have some tinkering expertise but rather little patience for an unreliable product. Thanks.
Hello,
The first potential issue I can spot is the Wi-Fi. Do you have a dedicated router or an ISP-provided one? In my case, the Zen Stream wasn't working too well with the first one.
The best way to ensure the best experience is to update the device in the beginning. The newest software 2.31.7 is super stable on mine.
Let me know if you have any other questions :)

dnnaudio

Aug 3, 2021
I have a switch connected to an ISP router. Problem is the Zen Stream and router/switch on different rooms so will require some planning if I need to run cable. Is cabled connection required to achieve some reliablility? I am also worried on Audirvana compatibility so few seem to use this w/ Zen Stream most seem to use Roon, Tidal, etc. Music files (wav and DSD) all in laptop running Audirvana.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have a switch connected to an ISP router. Problem is the Zen Stream and router/switch on different rooms so will require some planning if I need to run cable. Is cabled connection required to achieve some reliablility? I am also worried on Audirvana compatibility so few seem to use this w/ Zen Stream most seem to use Roon, Tidal, etc. Music files (wav and DSD) all in laptop running Audirvana.
The cable is not required for reliability if you have a good Wi-Fi setup. If your Wi-Fi is not up to the task, it might cause trouble. It was an issue in my case, before I have upgraded my router.
The Audirvana uses UPnP/DLNA protocols for audio streaming, and the Zen Stream handles them with no issue.

I hope that helps you to make a decision :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
ok. So what does' a switch do?

jmendes

Oct 19, 2022
Hi,

I agree that it is preferable to use wired instead of wifi, but I have been impressed with the wifi capabilities of the Zen Stream - and to be honest at 44.1/16, you don't need very much speed at all. Having used a number of different streamers I find the issues are often related to configuration within the router, especially on wifi. Streamers like the Bluesound Node and Powernode use multicast, and not all routers do a good job with that (not putting the product down, just saying the router can play a big part with connectivity issues). I don't think the iFi streamers use multicast, but I might be wrong. If they do, I have not had any issues.

Regarding Audirvana - the DLNA/UpnP implementation in the Zen Stream seems to be very solid. Since Audirvana updated to Audirvana Studio a while ago, I had tons of issues with various streamers and being able to play songs via Audirvana. Part of the solution is that Audirvana has provided a number of updates to Studio. So, I can say again, that Audirvana works great with the Zen Stream.

I also use Roon and Tidal - both work great on the Zen Stream, but I will add that it took me a long time to research router settings that can affect these things. Once I got the routers working, everything for all my streamers was great. We use a really good mesh system of routers and we connect them wirelessly (mesh networks use a different frequency to communicate between the routers on your mesh network vs. the 2.4 and 5 ghz that is used for your actual wireless communication which is why they are reliable - they aren't sharing with your normal wifi traffic)

One other tip I found while troubleshooting and trying out many routers with different streamers - many of us have a ton of smart devices in our houses. Although it is often recommended to assign a static IP address to devices like your streamers, I found that a majority of my connectivity issues went away when I went into my router configuration and assigned static IP addresses to all our smart devices - wall switches, doorbell cameras, smart locks, etc.

Finally, I'll add this - if you do use a mesh network and you can't run a cable to your streamer location, a lot of us will place one of the mesh routers near our streamer - most all mesh routers have ethernet ports so you can run wired ethernet to your streamer.

Jim

dnnaudio

Aug 3, 2021
Thanks Jim that helps. It looks like other than the connectivity issue I may also need to upgrade my Audirvana 3.5 to Studio version to get Zen Stream work reliably. I use an Aurender N100H in my other system and that was painless totally just plug and play so I am probably coming from too high expectation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing