iFi audio ZEN Stream - The Official Thread

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@ifi - thanks for the update. Another user on a different forum pointed out what I think is the truth. When a 32bit Foobar2000 installation has the UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Media Server, Control Point plug-in installed then the iFi registration with Foobar2000 changes and this is because "foo_out_upnp supports OpenHome renderers as well standard UPnP/DLNA renderers. So what I can see from consulting the foo_out_upnp dll cfg file that iFi does indeed register an OpenHome renderer as well as a standard UPnP one so we then have two entries I am seeing in the UI. However ideally iFi would register the two entries differently so we could be distinguished in the Foobar UI element dealing with outputs as two distinct types of output registrations (which apparently other stream / DAC products do "my upmpdclis have got a (slightly) different name for the two types of renderer. .... it looks like iFi have decided to give them the exact same name in the Zen Stream (at least by default), so you won't be able to tell which one you are using with the foo_out_upnp plugin." When you have the UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Media Server, Control Point plug-in installed (sadly only works with the 32 bit version of Foobar) it provides different names for the iFI UPnP entries - but ideally that should work with the UPnP MediaRenderer Output plug-in as well
Thanks for the input. I'm running that to the RND department.

bladeraptor

May 19, 2023
@ifi - i look forward to hearing of any updates and happy ot test any fixes dev code if that would help

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Raise a Glass!!

The Abso!ute Sound has given the Zen Stream its...

2023 Editors’ Choice: Best Music Servers Under $10,000​

The Zen Stream is right in there with some higher-priced streamers!!

Cheers!!

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Raise a Glass!!

The Abso!ute Sound has given the Zen Stream its...

2023 Editors’ Choice: Best Music Servers Under $10,000​

The Zen Stream is right in there with some higher-priced streamers!!

Cheers!!
Congratulations!
The blurb says:
"The Zen Stream supports many streaming sources via Wi-Fi or Ethernet including Spotify, Tidal, Roon, AirPlay, Chromecast, DLNA, and NAA (Network Audio Adapter)."

Has Chromecast been added?

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Congratulations!
The blurb says:
"The Zen Stream supports many streaming sources via Wi-Fi or Ethernet including Spotify, Tidal, Roon, AirPlay, Chromecast, DLNA, and NAA (Network Audio Adapter)."

Has Chromecast been added?
Not as of yet, thanks for alerting me to the mistake.

Cheers!!

yalpererdogan

Aug 10, 2023
Hi All, i am newbie in the forum.

Just would like to say Tidal has announced high res flac streaming, i can play it over PC application but ifi zen embedded tidal set the quality to 16/44 automatically and not able to play in high res format.
Is there any plan to update the software to support Tidal High Res Flac tracks?

Thanks in advance

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Tidal switching to FLAC over MQA is going to be an ongoing process, so there is still going to be a mix of FLAC and MQA in their library.

If the track you are listening to is still MQA the designation will remain until it is changed In Tidal.

IMG_1961.png

This will take time! But Not everything is switched on their end yet.

If the ZEn Stream senses an MQA Encoded file it will begin the unfolding of the MQA Stream, if there is no MQA in the stream the ZEN Plays it as it should in whatever file format it is. Hope this isn't too confusing :)

Cheers!!

yalpererdogan

Aug 10, 2023
imho it is about tidal connect support, as you shared in screenshot indicates as the support are coming at later this year :) same track from pc application is in hires flac format but over ifi zen streamer, it seems 16/44. Reason can be about tidal connect part...

Jodokus

Aug 14, 2023
Question for the iFi representative, please help me out. I use your Zen Stream (Tidal connect) with Elite power supply together with a Chord 2Qute (Sboostered) dac. I bought a PrimaLuna Evo tube amp (very happy with it), but the volume control is way too agressive (fixed output 2Qute 3V). The only workaround I can think of is activating the volume control in the Zen Stream and lower the digital volume to 80-90% max. Then the PrimaLuna re-amplifies the signal in a more subtle way, but how much will this workaround degrade the Tidal 16/44 signal? The best way would be buying a Chord Qutest dac with adjustable output control (1V, 2V, 3V), but that’s an expensive workaround I am not eager to jump on. When the degradation is too severe I have to, otherwise my brain will keep reminding me.. Hope to hear from you soon, kind regards!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
imho it is about tidal connect support, as you shared in screenshot indicates as the support are coming at later this year :) same track from pc application is in hires flac format but over ifi zen streamer, it seems 16/44. Reason can be about tidal connect part...
I hope I am explaining this correctly.

If there is any MQA embedded in the file, and the corresponding unit is capable of MQA Decoding, (as the Zen Stream is) then the MQA file will be triggered.

So as Tidal moves away from MQA (if they actually do it all together) then this will not happen.

It has been suggested to our development team that a way to "Turn Off" MQA be added to the Zen Stream altogether, and that is being looked at.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Question for the iFi representative, please help me out. I use your Zen Stream (Tidal connect) with Elite power supply together with a Chord 2Qute (Sboostered) dac. I bought a PrimaLuna Evo tube amp (very happy with it), but the volume control is way too agressive (fixed output 2Qute 3V). The only workaround I can think of is activating the volume control in the Zen Stream and lower the digital volume to 80-90% max. Then the PrimaLuna re-amplifies the signal in a more subtle way, but how much will this workaround degrade the Tidal 16/44 signal? The best way would be buying a Chord Qutest dac with adjustable output control (1V, 2V, 3V), but that’s an expensive workaround I am not eager to jump on. When the degradation is too severe I have to, otherwise my brain will keep reminding me.. Hope to hear from you soon, kind regards!
I wouldn't be able to advise you on "signal degradation" simply because I Do not know. I have used the software volume on the ZS and never had much of an issue, but your ears and my ears are not the same, so best to try it and see for yourself what you perceive.

I had much the same issue using the ZS with my Darkvoice 336SE and Burson Playmate 2 in the end I ended up at 82-85 volume on the Burson to feed the Darkvoice and left the software alone in the Zen.

I think some fiddling on your part may be best before choosing the Higher priced option.

Hope this helps in some small way,

Cheers!!

Jodokus

Aug 14, 2023
I wouldn't be able to advise you on "signal degradation" simply because I Do not know. I have used the software volume on the ZS and never had much of an issue, but your ears and my ears are not the same, so best to try it and see for yourself what you perceive.

I had much the same issue using the ZS with my Darkvoice 336SE and Burson Playmate 2 in the end I ended up at 82-85 volume on the Burson to feed the Darkvoice and left the software alone in the Zen.

I think some fiddling on your part may be best before choosing the Higher priced option.

Hope this helps in some small way,

Cheers!!
Thank you for trying to help me out, but it does not. . Any idea how the volume control works in the Zen Stream? Like from 64 bits floating - volume - 32 bits to 32 bit dac? Just for example..

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thank you for trying to help me out, but it does not. . Any idea how the volume control works in the Zen Stream? Like from 64 bits floating - volume - 32 bits to 32 bit dac? Just for example..
I will ask this question directly for you, and post back when I get a response.

Cheers!!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
OK, I completely understand this is not an answer to your specific question, and I will try other sources to get you more.

Here's what I received...

"1.When the "Volume Option" is set to "Hardware", the digital volume is fixed at the maximum level. The UI volume (analog volume) and the external USB DAC volume can be adjusted synchronously (the external USB DAC supports synchronized volume adjustment).

2.When the "Volume Option" is set to "Software", the digital volume can be adjusted. The UI volume (digital volume) and the external USB DAC volume (analog volume) can be adjusted separately.

3.When the "Volume Option" is set to "None", the digital volume is fixed at the maximum level, and only the external USB DAC volume can be adjusted.

I will look further for you, and provide an answer if possible.

Cheers!!

Jodokus

Aug 14, 2023
T
OK, I completely understand this is not an answer to your specific question, and I will try other sources to get you more.

Here's what I received...

"1.When the "Volume Option" is set to "Hardware", the digital volume is fixed at the maximum level. The UI volume (analog volume) and the external USB DAC volume can be adjusted synchronously (the external USB DAC supports synchronized volume adjustment).

2.When the "Volume Option" is set to "Software", the digital volume can be adjusted. The UI volume (digital volume) and the external USB DAC volume (analog volume) can be adjusted separately.

3.When the "Volume Option" is set to "None", the digital volume is fixed at the maximum level, and only the external USB DAC volume can be adjusted.

I will look further for you, and provide an answer if possible.

Cheers!!
Thanks for your reply, but this is indeed just what the manual states, nothing more..

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

tald

Aug 9, 2023
Hi, i use my zen stream in a very simple way. External ssd usb disk with all my albums on it. Each album in its own folder. Zem stream does not recognize wav or non english albums. I can see all folders (as folders) in 'music library' tab but in the 'Albums' tab i see only flac albums. No problem with the same disk in Roon or jriver. Why is that ?

scgf01

Nov 19, 2023
UK
A question. I bought an iFi Audio Zen Stream recently and found the only way to switch it off is to use the button on the front or through the iFi app or ifi.local. All my other equipment switches to standby remotely. Is it OK to leave it switched on? My Bifrost DAC is permanently on, as is my phono pre-amp. What do you guys do?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
A question. I bought an iFi Audio Zen Stream recently and found the only way to switch it off is to use the button on the front or through the iFi app or ifi.local. All my other equipment switches to standby remotely. Is it OK to leave it switched on? My Bifrost DAC is permanently on, as is my phono pre-amp. What do you guys do?
It is fine to leave the unit on, in fact, most folks almost prefer it that way!

Cheers!!

Reactions: scgf01

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing