I'm not a caveman, but transports have improved

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Good question Gary, since I forgot to mention that I use a Stello USB/Coax converter between the USB output of the Mach2 and the Havana DAC - I tried to use the Oppo directly to the Havana via the USB output but - to my ears - it sounded a tad better with the Coax output, not sure how the Havana is wired as for different sampling/convertion rates between its different input options. (It is fair to say that I used a regular USB cable in my test).

Would you suggest to go back and try with a decent USB cable directly from the Oppo to the Havana DAC? I am all ears! :)

The Stello converter is quite good, but not the best. It's USB powered - which means that any switched-mode noise will be transmitted. Galvanic isolation in the Stello is also not the best. You should try the Mach 2 with USB direct into the Havana.

The best USB cable is one which has the power pin removed. If you are careful, you can do this yourself. In my experience, cost/looks has absolutely nothing to do with how well a USB cable performs. Some USB cables have the shield connected to ground at the host, other USB cables have the shield connected to ground at both ends. Many USB cables have the shield un-connected to ground. Depending on how "dirty" the ground on the sending device is, the ground pin may have to be removed as well at the DAC end if that is connected to the shield.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

From the following picture, I don't see a pulse transformer at the USB input, so I doubt that the USB is galvanically isolated. This means that depending on the configuration of the USB cable, it will sound different. Try my favorite which is a white Belkin 2m USB printer cable (bought for $18 at Best Buy).

If you are in the mood for experimenting, I would also try the Toslink output from the Mach 2 to the Havana DAC using a good glass optical like the Sonicwave ($25):

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-Sonicwave-Toslink/dp/B0009JR4GK/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The Stello converter is quite good, but not the best. It's USB powered - which means that any switched-mode noise will be transmitted. Galvanic isolation in the Stello is also not the best. You should try the Mach 2 with USB direct into the Havana.

The best USB cable is one which has the power pin removed. If you are careful, you can do this yourself. In my experience, cost/looks has absolutely nothing to do with how well a USB cable performs. Some USB cables have the shield connected to ground at the host, other USB cables have the shield connected to ground at both ends. Many USB cables have the shield un-connected to ground. Depending on how "dirty" the ground on the sending device is, the ground pin may have to be removed as well at the DAC end if that is connected to the shield.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

From the following picture, I don't see a pulse transformer at the USB input, so I doubt that the USB is galvanically isolated. This means that depending on the configuration of the USB cable, it will sound different. Try my favorite which is a white Belkin 2m USB printer cable (bought for $18 at Best Buy).

If you are in the mood for experimenting, I would also try the Toslink output from the Mach 2 to the Havana DAC using a good glass optical like the Sonicwave ($25):

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-Sonicwave-Toslink/dp/B0009JR4GK/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

Thanks Gary. I will definitely move on!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Orb,

Can you elaborate a bit on this issue with dCS' USB? Is it only on the Puccini U-Clock, or on the higher end stuff as well?

thanks,
alexandre

Hi alexandre,
I would need to dig out some of the reviews and the articles to be sure what was applicable from dCS.
Although you would hope the isolation would be equal on most of a manufacturers product (albeit with possibly their reference being better-over engineered).
But I should stress this is not just a dCS thing when it comes to USB and perfecting the isolation-jitter-DC level timing regularity,etc.

If using or looking at dCS or another manufacturer, just compare a few models between CD transport and USB, both should be equal (taking both at their best) for CD quality audio.

Cheers
Orb

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
See, I have dCS gear, and I was really curious about this issue. I'm not doubting you, on the contrary. I've seen plenty of "hi end" equipment that failed to address simple issues in their equipments...

I was never able to get the dCS Puccini U-Clock (USB to SPDIF) to sound at least as good as the built-in transport on the Puccini. I've always blamed my Mac Mini for it, as the sound is distinctly inferior. Hooking up the U-Clock to the dCS Paganini produced far better results, but still, not comparable to the same DAC + Paganini Transport...

If you find something in this direction, please let me know!

thanks,
alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing