Innuos Pulsar ????

What I struggle to understand is how how you design something if you don't have a set of criteria to meet.
I doubt there are any designers who don't have criteria they aim to meet. Typically, it's about achieving sound quality at a particular price point that beats the competition. Some go even further than that.

It was told that when Shunyata was deciding to come out with an Ethernet cable, their target was beating the top of the line Audioquest with their least expensive cable. If they couldn't do that, they wouldn't have entered the market. Not sure if this is true but it sounds possible.

I appreciate your comments. Maybe you over analyze a tiny bit, but I do appreciate your curiosity. The great thing is that you don't necessarily have to spend a substantial budget to discover high-quality USB or Ethernet cables. There are excellent options available without breaking the bank.

Personally I will simply relay what I hear. And what others recommend.

Admittedly the Sablon website is a little abstract. Maybe better to read a little here: https://whatsbestforum.com/forums/sablon-audio.390/

You could contact Mark at sablonaudio@gmail.com. But I would keep it simple, do not start with the most high end USB cable. And give it some time, like 30 days ;-). It will give you at least a reference point.

If you like to read more I can recommend a few USB cable reviews by Christiaan Punter. Being skeptical himself, some time ago, over the years he compared many, many USB cables (no Sablon though). Very well written, he always explains clearly the whole setup and also compares with other similar devices/equipment/cables.

The following intro compares different digital connections and also what to ''hear for'' in a better USB cable.

If someone is interested I can recommend this USB cable at a much lower price level:

It works very nicely in my system, btw I have no affiliation at all with this manufacturer.

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyb123
If someone is interested I can recommend this USB cable at a much lower price level:

It works very nicely in my system, btw I have no affiliation at all with this manufacturer.

Matt
Are there any distinctive SQ features that set it apart from Chord, Belden, Supra, or BJC, as mentioned in this thread? I recall the GAC 4/1 'microphone cable' being quite popular a few years back for DIY DC cables due to its multiple shielding layers and the star quad design for excellent RF rejection. I'm curious to know if it shares similar attributes in its successful USB application. Does it tend to be on the stiff side?

Reactions: ssfas
Are there any distinctive SQ features that set it apart from Chord, Belden, Supra, or BJC, as mentioned in this thread? I recall the GAC 4/1 'microphone cable' being quite popular a few years back for DIY DC cables due to its multiple shielding layers and the star quad design for excellent RF rejection. I'm curious to know if it shares similar attributes in its successful USB application. Does it tend to be on the stiff side?
I used to use a Sommer microphone cable like this some years ago as a speaker cable. This one is overkill, 0.34mm2 is cheaper.

Using the Chord (cost £5) switching between a Lumin T3 and Holo May DACs, both streaming from the Lumin T3, the ability to reveal the difference between the two DACs was as subtle as a punch in the face. It got even better changing the Lumin T3 for Pulsar.

The Holo May and Pulsar gave a profound improvement in many ways to the Lumin T3 and a £5 cable did not act as a barrier in any way. The Holo May and Pulsar are just very well suited.

The £5 USB cable did not present any limitation to this system. The £100 cable is not noticeably better.

Rather than consider an expensive cable, a loan of the CAD filter will be a good test.

I need USB-C at one end and this is somewhat difficult to get from the established audiophile manufacturers. These guys from Singapore make you the cable exactly as you need it and with excellent connectors. So my comparisons are somewhat limited but I like what I have. There is slightly torsional stiffness since at the source end is USB-A.

Matt

Reactions: Di-fi
I used to use a Sommer microphone cable like this some years ago as a speaker cable. This one is overkill, 0.34mm2 is cheaper.

Using the Chord (cost £5) switching between a Lumin T3 and Holo May DACs, both streaming from the Lumin T3, the ability to reveal the difference between the two DACs was as subtle as a punch in the face. It got even better changing the Lumin T3 for Pulsar.

The Holo May and Pulsar gave a profound improvement in many ways to the Lumin T3 and a £5 cable did not act as a barrier in any way. The Holo May and Pulsar are just very well suited.

The £5 USB cable did not present any limitation to this system. The £100 cable is not noticeably better.

Rather than consider an expensive cable, a loan of the CAD filter will be a good test.
Cables do indeed exhibit variations in performance, and this distinction is often more noticeable in higher resolving audio setups. It's important to recognize that no single cable can excel in every application.

Both standard and custom cables can offer excellent performance. Typically, the more research and development invested in a cable, the higher the cost, but the likelihood of it delivering superior sound quality for a specific connection and setup also increases.

In my view, connecting devices should prioritize preserving the authenticity of the original music file and sometimes a less expensive cable or connection may indeed provide a more pleasing result in a particular setup (depending the listeners audio preferences). To optimize my setup, I find it essential to compare cables with more expensive options (without breaking the bank), ensuring I get the best possible audio quality.

Last edited:
I need USB-C at one end and this is somewhat difficult to get from the established audiophile manufacturers. These guys from Singapore make you the cable exactly as you need it and with excellent connectors. So my comparisons are somewhat limited but I like what I have. There is slightly torsional stiffness since at the source end is USB-A.

Matt
I had to look it up but I referred to the GAC-4/1 Ultra Pro Starquad balanced (each conductor Reussen shielded), probably more stiff than GAC-4/1? Maybe it will also make a great USB cable but for now I will stick with a Sablon 2020 (that I compared with a Lush^2 - and a Curious USB).

Staying on the topic of USB cables for Pulsar users and given the Pulsar's excellent integrated USB reclocker, you'll want a cable that can fully leverage this feature; is it crucial to select a high-quality USB cable?

Last edited:
I had to look it up but I referred to the GAC-4/1 Ultra Pro Starquad balanced (each conductor Reussen shielded), probably more stiff than GAC-4/1? Maybe it will also make a great USB cable but for now I will stick with a Sablon 2020 (that I compared with a Lush^2 - and a Curious USB).
When I ordered my USB cable I asked Quartz Acoustic whether they can make mine from these but they told me it is impossible because of the tiny USB-C connector. They offer another Gotham two-cable USB but also without USB-C.

I think the time has come to design USB-C connectors which make soldering to audiophile USB cables easy.

Matt

Last edited:
When I ordered my USB cable I asked Quartz Acoustic whether they can make mine from these but they told me it is impossible because of the tiny USB-C connector. They offer another Gotham two-cable USB but also without USB-C.

I think the time has come to design USB-C connectors which make soldering to audiophile USB cables easy.

Matt
Honestly, USB-C connectors seem a bit too small and not as secure as I'd like for audiophile cables. In my opinion they might not be the best choice for this purpose and also less robust for audiophile cables. Their design is more focused on versatility and compatibility with various devices, including laptops, smartphones, and tablets. In that application we need just one (1) universal USB-C connection as by the end of next year in Europe (hello Apple?).

For audiophile applications where signal integrity and robust connections are critical, some users may prefer larger connectors with a tighter fit. Regarding the ''audio'' USB connections I had a loose USB-A DAC connection in for example an Antipodes Server. They know about SQ and had it resolved in later editions. Also INNUOS Zen(ith) series are built with a ''standard for audio modified'' motherboard still with standard computer USB connectors.

In general it seems USB-A&B provide a more substantial and secure connection and are also more suitable for audiophile-grade cables. There are quality differences though. But I wish (maybe except for the USB-C as you mentioned, sorry) they where designed with audio performance in mind like AES, SPDIF, XLR and RCA connectors. Well, who knows what the USB cable designers use for USB A and B connectors beside a fancy plating?

Hopefully the Pulsar USB DAC output comes with a solid USB connector. The modular design, allowing for potential upgrades to (?) AES or SPDIF, is a fantastic feature. Even if the upgrade doesn't necessarily result in a sound quality improvement, it's definitely worth considering for the sake of achieving a good audiophile connection.

Last edited:
I had a loose USB-A DAC connection in for example an Antipodes Server
I don't think USB-C is worse than USB-A and USB-B. USB-C works perfectly in everyday use with most mobile devices where there is plug-and-play several times a day. This frequent connecting and disconnecting you don't have with audiophile cables. The problem is that nobody cares about real high quality USB-C connectors which allow soldering of AWG18 or thicker for example. When this problem is fixed I see no reason not to use them for audiophile gear. This might be one of the first steps into the right direction:

Matt

Last edited:
I don't think USB-C is worse than USB-A and USB-B. USB-C works perfectly in everyday use with most mobile devices where there is plug-and-play several times a day. This frequent connecting and disconnecting you don't have with audiophile cables. The problem is that nobody cares about real high quality USB-C connectors which allow soldering of AWG18 or thicker for example. When this problem is fixed I see no reason not to use them for audiophile gear. This might be one of the first steps into the right direction:

Matt
I am talking connectors, not the USB a,b, or c 'signal' if that is what you mean. Apparently we agree that USB-C connectors are fine for everyday use and probably that's why nobody cares. I never really looked into it, but it's possible that USB-C connectors could be more reliable than USB A or B connectors due to its higher bandwidth specs, even if we're not fully utilizing it for audio.
The Neutrik connector looks good, great find! I like connectors that click and lock, like those SFP modules. If I had no other choice, I'd probably only use USB-C connectors for lightweight cables.

I am really off topic but out of curiosity, did you specify any particular instructions for handling the two outer shields (bare copper wires) in your Gotham Gac 4-1 USB cable? Were you following the JSG360 concept, or are the shields attached or connected on either side as per your setup?

Last edited:
I am as well, but we are OT :cool:

Matt
Then why did you recommend your cable here in the first place? :cool: . I just follow up on that post. It might be an advantage to know as USB cables for Pulsar users? ;)

Then why did you recommend your cable here in the first place? :cool: . I just follow up on that post. It might be an advantage to know as USB cables for Pulsar users? ;)
Remember you started the discussion with your post #194 about USB cables north of 1k, I just wanted to show that there are alternatives :cool:

Matt

Remember you started the discussion with your post #194 about USB cables north of 1k, I just wanted to show that there are alternatives :cool:

Matt
Staying on the topic of USB cables for Pulsar users and given the Pulsar's excellent integrated USB reclocker, you'll want a cable that can fully leverage this feature; is it crucial to select a high-quality USB cable?

I tried a variety of USB and I was impressed enough with AQ Diamond to keep it for 3 years. I read about the Sablon 2020 cable and it turned out to be a clear sonic upgrade that was apparent after a few minutes of auditioning. Last year I purchased EVO. After a week of (necessary) break in I was knocked out by the ramp up of resolution, refinement and engagement the EVO brought to my system. Pulsar and the PhoenixUSB clearly reveal USB cable, power cord and fuse upgrades. With out these upgrades you’re definitely leaving a lot of performance on the table.

feedback about cable RJ45 on Pulsar.
my cable goes straight from my internet box to the Pulsar.
I just bought a Entreq Apollo instead of a Primer Pro (Entreq), with a small ground box
The gain is incredible.
the most obvious is the voice more embodied and less highlighted, then the whole register more coherent. The bass register has grown in size and accuracy.
I also have a Plixir linear power supply on my internet box

feedback about cable RJ45 on Pulsar.
my cable goes straight from my internet box to the Pulsar.
I just bought a Entreq Apollo instead of a Primer Pro (Entreq), with a small ground box
The gain is incredible.
the most obvious is the voice more embodied and less highlighted, then the whole register more coherent. The bass register has grown in size and accuracy.
I also have a Plixir linear power supply on my internet box
I also have a Plixir on my modem...
BTW, have you try grounding the Pulsar via its grounding output on the back?

I also have a Plixir on my modem...
BTW, have you try grounding the Pulsar via its grounding output on the back?
Yes, I put a ground cable from the Pulsar output to my Entreq Silver Minimus box.

I will try to unplug it and give you feedback ;) because this cable has been plugged in since I used the Pulsar.

Reactions: tedwoods

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu