Innuos Pulsar ????

Lio67

Oct 27, 2022
Understood. You mean Innuos Statement specific. At least it did not seem to discourage you to the point of not taking the Pulsar. Good luck with it and let us know how it performs. INNUOS provides excellent online help if needed.
thanks!
I tested the PULSAR (and the STATEMENT (not Next Gen) few month ago), it sounds great on my system, the alliance with Goldmund is perfect to my ears.

Reactions: harsheel_dbs

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I got the most basic network drive I could find, with the most basic software, backed up my Zen Mk3 library onto it (took ages) and it was visible when connected directly to the streamer socket on the Pulsar. 1TB of files. As it works, bought an iFi 12v power supply for the drive to replace the generic one.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I have a Pulsar and a Zen mk3 and have been through the numerous combinations possible, using the Pulsar as endpoint for the Zen, using the Pulsar as endpoint for Roon hosted on a QNAP, and currently using a Buffalo network drive connected alternatively using the second ethernet port in the back of the pulsar or connected to a network switch (there is a spare socket in the back of the modem, so I used that). As far as cabling is concerned, I have fibre running from my audio system to the networking hub and to connect into the network and the pulsar. I use TPlink media converters powered at the sending end by an iFi low noise unit and at the receiving end by a sotm battery unit. I also have a copper ethernet cable running from the back of my hifi system up the wall through the ceiling into my office.

The noticeably worse option was Roon via QNAP. In that scenario, I was still using the Zen as the network store. I don’t want to use Roon in my main audio system, half the reason for buying Innuos is the fact that I very much like Sense, although I use Roon in eight or nine other zones.

As I have no intention of ripping any more CDs and I don’t like excessive boxes, I’ve sold the Zen. In fact, I part exchanged it for a Garrard 301 (see elsewhere).

I spoke to Innuos about this, and their ideal solution is using a Zen or Zenith as a server and pulsar as streamer, although I’m not convinced it’s any better than using the pulsar standalone. I suppose your cabling might make a bit of difference. Mine is fibre with no switching as the fibre goes directly into my modem and the NAS is using the internal switch of the Pulsar. My Pulsar is powered through a Puritan mains conditioner, using a Puritan ultimate cable.

This is plugged into the second socket on the back of the Pulsar. I chose an old SATA unit because it’s probably the best low noise option available.
IMG_0455.jpeg IMG_0454.jpeg

Innuos did not automatically recognise the NAS, but I just put in the IP address, it found it and I selected the relevant files. I transferred the files from my Zen MK3 by doing a regular backup once the NAS was connected.

unlike Roon, you can’t add more than one share. I keep my CD rips and downloads in separate folders, so I simply had to drag the download file and dump it into the CD rip file.
IMG_0455.jpeg

this is the other option, just connecting the NAS into the network rather than directly into the server, and I can’t say it sounded any worse. Here, both of the Pulsar and the NAS are going directly into the back of the modem.
IMG_0453.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: tedwoods

b345t

May 10, 2020
I have a Pulsar and a Zen mk3 and have been through the numerous combinations possible, using the Pulsar as endpoint for the Zen, using the Pulsar as endpoint for Roon hosted on a QNAP, and currently using a Buffalo network drive connected alternatively using the second ethernet port in the back of the pulsar or connected to a network switch (there is a spare socket in the back of the modem, so I used that). As far as cabling is concerned, I have fibre running from my audio system to the networking hub and to connect into the network and the pulsar. I use TPlink media converters powered at the sending end by an iFi low noise unit and at the receiving end by a sotm battery unit. I also have a copper ethernet cable running from the back of my hifi system up the wall through the ceiling into my office.
Nice writeup on your experience and various setup options tried. Could you comment on the sound differences you heard of the Zen mk3 vs Pulsar?

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Nice writeup on your experience and various setup options tried. Could you comment on the sound differences you heard of the Zen mk3 vs Pulsar?
I’ve not actually done a direct comparison. About nine months ago, when I changed most of my hifi system, I bought a Lumin streamer/DAC. The streamer was perfectly fine, but the DAC wasn’t. I bought it to keep the box count down. So I bought a Holo May DAC and for a period used the Lumin purely as a streamer, that was good. Replacing the Lumin with the Pulsar has raised it to a completely different level.

During this whole period the Zen Mk3 has sat in a cupboard in my dining room, purely acting as a server (ethernet over fibre). I haven’t used the Zen directly connected since before the system change, when I was using a Devialet Expert, which I’d used since 2016. The DAC in that was much better than the Lumin, but not as good as the Holo May. Zen and Devialet could be linked with an ethernet cable, so I kept the Zen in my office.

When the Innuos Sense app came out you had to use the USB output and hence place the machine close to the audio system. After a room move I had the Zen in an audio rack for about a year, but I got fed up with the noise that the SATA drive occasionally makes.

Sorry it’s a bit complicated, but I have no regrets whatsoever with the Pulsar and it’s now part of the best digital sound I’ve managed to achieve.

I could plug the Zen in, but I don’t have the time or inclination.

If I wanted to use Roon for my main listening, I would keep the Zen and use the Pulsar in endpoint mode. It really pays to have an electrically and mechanically quiet server. For me half the point of the Pulsar is to use the Sense app, not Roon, and the Pulsar is the next best option to the Statement, which is more than double the price.

Reactions: Roasty and b345t

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
@ssfas that is how I use the Pulsar, with the Holo May KTE :)

Reactions: ssfas

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
@ssfas that is how I use the Pulsar, with the Holo May KTE :)
How to lose a sale: I was planning to go from London to Amsterdam to listen/buy a May KTE. The guy at Magna Hifi said a blind customer test KTE v May Level 2 most people couldn't tell the difference. So I google May Level 2 to see reviews and in google ads one comes up on eBay. So I assume it's hundreds of miles away. It's 4 miles away. Later that day it was in my house. An hour later it was mine.

I'm not a cable person, but I went crazy and got one of these, only because it was on sale.

Reactions: CKKeung

Lio67

Oct 27, 2022
I just received my PULSAR, it is well connected to the network and works well in streaming.
I want to be able to play my music files on my mac mini (wifi network).
I connected it to the ETHERNET port (NAS) of the PULSAR, despite the file sharing permission on my MAC, the PULSAR does not see the shared folder, it only sees the IP of my boxing inthernet.
Can you help me set up my mac to play files on PULSAR?
thank you

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I just received my PULSAR, it is well connected to the network and works well in streaming.
I connected it to the ETHERNET port (NAS) of the PULSAR, despite the file sharing permission on my MAC, the PULSAR does not see the shared folder, it only sees the IP of my boxing inthernet.
thank you
I don't think a Mac Mini can be set up as a network share on Innuos. As long as your Mac Mini is on your network (not necessarily through the ethernet port on your Pulsar), you can manually configure by typing in the IP address and hopefully the Pulsar will see it. I tried it with my Zen and it didn't work.

I have set up three types of network storage with the Pulsar:
1. Using an Innuos Zen in Endpoint mode.
2. Using a QNAP, creating a new file location and designating it a network share
3. Using a Buffalo Linkstation network drive

1 is , but I am selling the machine
2 is OK, but my QNAP does not have enough space for my music and it is a multi-function machine not dedicated to audio
3 is my solution, it is cheap and dedicated with a low noise power supply

Pulsar auto-detects my QNAP, but not the Buffalo network drive. I don't know why, so I had to enter the IP address manually.
Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 10.32.07.png

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
thank you
You need to have some NAS software installed in the PC for the Pulsar to see it as a network shared folder.
Under Windows, such software can be "Open Media Vault", "UnRAID" or "TrueNAS".

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@tedwoods
Is there a chance that Innuos will support UPnP with the Pulsar?
Thx

Matt

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
@tedwoods
Is there a chance that Innuos will support UPnP with the Pulsar?
Thx

Matt
It has had uPnP built in for the last couple of years. It is used in Standalone mode with uPnP set to Sense mode.
It works fine, using the Sense player, and it shows up in the device's native app.
There are a few devices where you can use the device app, but it's limited.

This below is sending a DSD256 file to my 24/192PCM wireless ceiling speakers.

Frankly, Roon is better for doing this, given all my uPnP devices are also Roon Ready.
Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 12.36.56.png Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 12.40.49.jpeg Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 12.39.38.png

Last edited:

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
It has had uPnP built in for the last couple of years. It is used in Standalone mode with uPnP set to Sense mode.

It works fine, using the Sense player, and it shows up in the device's native app.

There are a few devices where you can use the device app, but it's limited.
View attachment 118813 View attachment 118817 View attachment 118820
What Matt refers too is streaming from/through UPnP sources, not streaming to UPnP devices which is already available.

Reactions: matthias

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
What Matt refers too is streaming from/through UPnP sources, not streaming to UPnP devices which is already available.
I think you are talking about Native uPnP integration. As stated above, that only works with a few devices as they require Innuos to create a device profile.

I tried it using the Lumin app. It sees the Pulsar, but no sound came out!

The use shown above is called Sense uPnP Integration.

Lio67

Oct 27, 2022
You need to have some NAS software installed in the PC for the Pulsar to see it as a network shared folder.
Under Windows, such software can be "Open Media Vault", "UnRAID" or "TrueNAS".
Thanks you all for answers :)
it seems to me that is the solution, I will check this point.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
What Matt refers too is streaming from/through UPnP sources
Exactly,
for example streaming from Qobuz from Macbook/Audirvana via UPnP to Pulsar or JPLAY for iOS as UPnP control app with Pulsar. :cool:

Matt

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Exactly,
for example streaming from Qobuz from Macbook/Audirvana via UPnP to Pulsar or JPLAY for iOS as UPnP control app with Pulsar. :cool:

Matt
Personally, no idea as have never used, Audirvana or jplay.

OSX and iOS are designed to use AirPlay. Innuos do not implement wireless - it's noisy. Innuos is now really designed for use with their native player, which is on iOS (via their app) and OSX (via the IP or my.innuos.com.

Reactions: matthias

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing