Intona USB 2.0/3.0 Isolators 2019versions

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
We audiophiles are restlessly itchy and many of us got OCD in tweaking our hifi components, even the very top/hi-end ones.

For example, the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme server is IMHO the best CAS server in the market, yet we have been talking about ways to further improve the overall sonic performance.
There is recently a lot of discussion about that on the last several pages of this WBF thread :
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-33

Very few tweaks/accessories can get approval from Emile, designer/boss of the Extreme server but the Intona USB Isolators 2019 versions are some of the rare exceptions.
https://pro.intona.eu/en/products/

Intona launched similar isolators several years ago. They were for industrial but not audio use. The chassis was made of plastic and although sonically they worked, there were often incompatibility issues.
7054_01 (1).jpg

The new 2019 models are much much nicer and aim at audiophiles.
Here are the USB2.0 5kv model (left) and the USB3.0 model (right) :
20190628_192848~2.jpg

They now got a metallic chassis.
I had a glimpse of the interior. There are some EMF absorption pads sticked onto the inner surfaces of the metallic chassis.
The circuit boards are totally diff from the old models. There are now actually 2 circuit boards, the smaller one sitting on the bigger board.

Also, please note that there is a mini-USB socket situated next to the usb output on the new 2019 models.
It is for users to give the Isolator an external 5V dc supply. The occasional incompatibility issue of the old models is partly due to the 5V current becoming smaller after going through the Isolator. The new 2019 models solve the problem this way.
20190628_192829~2.jpg

In Hong Kong, both Intona and Taiko Audio are carried by the same dealer Volent Audio.
I tried the new Intona Isolators on the Extreme server.
They worked and gave sonic improvement!

However there is a small compromise in dynamics.
Can this be solved?
Yes of course!
It was then given an external 5V dc via the blue colour dc cable.
20190628_171102~2.jpg

A PLiXiR Elite Series 5V/2A LPS was used.
20190628_171014~2.jpg

It was like Popeye being fed spinach, all the micro- & macro-dynamics returned.
Fabulous!

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
CKK, which dac was used for this test? I can imagine sensitivity to boosting the power supply current will vary from model to model.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CKK, which dac was used for this test? I can imagine sensitivity to boosting the power supply current will vary from model to model.
Intona Isolator to Totaldac Reclocker to Totaldac Direct dac.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I am using the Intona isolator with two Ultimate Intona usb cables from the Extreme to the latest Aqua Formula xHD DAC. I have not tested this setup with any other DACs or against any other isolators/usb cables etc. I can tell you my digital NEVER sounded as good as it does now.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Better not let Steve Williams see this. He's having enough problems w the proliferation of boxes out there, without adding yet another one to the mix.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Better not let Steve Williams see this. He's having enough problems w the proliferation of boxes out there, without adding yet another one to the mix.
:p:D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CK, Bob, is this the equivalent or alternative to renderer like Sonore Rendu/opticalRendu, that maximises USB signal to the server?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK, Bob, is this the equivalent or alternative to renderer like Sonore Rendu/opticalRendu, that maximises USB signal to the server?
The new systemOptique Series of Sonore is for optical ethernet isolation instead of usb isolation :
systemOptique-flowchart.png

The Intona USB2.0/3.0 Isolators are for isolation of the usb pathway.

So they are somewhat different.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
But standard Sonore Rendu. That's a USB isolator/maximiser. Are the Rendu and Intona Isolator analagous devices?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I may be wrong but I believe the Rendu models are not usb isolators. They are renderer devices. ethernet in>>>usb out.

The Intona is usb in >>>>usb out.

Reactions: WilsonDaDa

WilsonDaDa

Apr 10, 2019
I am using Intona Isolator 3.0 with Reference USB for the upstream and Ultimate USB for the downstream. Before that, i used Ultimate to connect the player and the dac. It has already improved the performance of the whole system. However adding the Isolator, the performance get further improvement for its soundstage, the separation. Today, just bring the LPS home to feed the Isolator, like what CKKeung has said, all the micro and marco dynamics have been upgraded in my system. Popeye is now at my home......

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
But standard Sonore Rendu. That's a USB isolator/maximiser. Are the Rendu and Intona Isolator analagous devices?
The old Sonore Rendu and Signature Rendu are renderers, with no galvanic nor optical isolation inside.

The new Sonore systemOptique Series offers optical ethernet isolation.

Intona USB2.0/3.0 Isolators offer optical usb isolation.

Reactions: Rhapsody

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Doesn't TotalDac make a USB cable with an isolator?
Actually 2 models.
But we don't know the internal isolation mechanism.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The old Sonore Rendu and Signature Rendu are renderers, with no galvanic nor optical isolation inside.

The new Sonore systemOptique Series offers optical ethernet isolation.

Intona USB2.0/3.0 Isolators offer optical usb isolation.

CK, what cable/connector is that blue cable that connects the Plixir to the isolator? Does it come with the Plixir?....thx

WilsonDaDa

Apr 10, 2019
CK, what cable/connector is that blue cable that connects the Plixir to the isolator? Does it come with the Plixir?....thx
Yes come with Plixir

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Yes, that's the dc cable included with the PLiXiR Elite Series 5V/2A LPS.
Their Elite Series is one of the best LPS in the market.
Very quiet and dynamical, because of their use of balanced isolation toroids and double-regulation circuit.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, in a SGC/Sonore world, we're poss talking
SGC i5 or 7 w LPS
opticalRendu w LPS
opticalModule w LPS
Intona Isolator w LPS
Switch (maybe upcoming Uptone EtherRegen) w LPS, or Paul Pang quad switch w additional LPS
Gigafoil filter (w LPS?)
Dac w LPS
Router w LPS.

I make that 16 boxes, 8 pwr cords, 8 dc leads, 12-16 isolation platforms.

Just looking at my one-box cdp and tt, and remarking how simple it seems in comparison.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The PLiXiR website talks balanced pwr. Is this correct, and across all their products?

Can I use them if I'm already using balanced pwr into my system

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing