Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
My network (no WiFi involved):
Modem>switch>fiber>switch>rj45>TaikoRouter>TaikoSwitch>Extreme

Based on what Emile has said, I’m supposing it might be better, if not using WiFi, to connect (via rj45) my computer and iPad controller from the switch upstream of the TaikoRouter rather than from TaikoRouter.

The reasons being to (1) isolate the TaikoRouter from the iPad controller and
(2) not draw power from the TaikoRouter for the rj45 connections

I realize this may be much ado about practically nothing!

I just haven’t tried, I cannot give you a reliable answer. Here I just get the best performance from using the Taiko Wi-Fi. I did try wired to the Router a while ago, but that was a step down.

With that said, I don’t feel it’s that critical either, it also sounds great using the building Wi-Fi here. I’d rate it as “nice to have” not “must have”.

The Taiko Wi-Fi is configured to run at the lowest possible transmitter strength, at the slowest protocol, and uses a small antenna. I can absolutely hear the difference, similar to what @TWJeff described, but it may very well be subject to the environment it operates in. Although there are plenty of neighbouring Wi-Fi networks here they’re all pretty weak.

If the Taiko Wi-Fi is being “pushed out” by stronger neighbouring Wi-Fi networks, at the same channel for example, or even worse, configured to operate on unfavourable channels, like 2,4,5,7,8,10, then you either need to change the channel, increase transmission strength, mount a larger antenna (hardly ever necessary btw), or switch to a different protocol, for example N or AC at 5G will always work stable. We’re aware logging into the router and changing these settings is not as easy as selecting a different output in Roon so we’re working on making this all configurable from a remote app..
My router/dcd is on order along with the O. Just to familiarize myself along with the understanding of the router. Where I live I certainly cannot pick up neighboring WI-Fi networks, (NO NEIGHBORS) which in a sense should make this more straight forward, I would think. In my remote living situation If I'm understanding correctly I should configure my Taiko router for Wi-Fi rather than do as @dminches does by using his home router, due to signal strength. I have a big open concept home, no partitions in the listening room. The delay for me in ordering the router was because as you mention "changing these settings are not easy". I will have help setting it up but anything further you may add will be appreciated...For this kind of money one wants to achieve optimized results...

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn
The Taiko Wi-Fi is configured to run at the lowest possible transmitter strength, at the slowest protocol, and uses a small antenna. I can absolutely hear the difference, similar to what @TWJeff described, but it may very well be subject to the environment it operates in. Although there are plenty of neighbouring Wi-Fi networks here they’re all pretty weak.

If the Taiko Wi-Fi is being “pushed out” by stronger neighbouring Wi-Fi networks, at the same channel for example, or even worse, configured to operate on unfavourable channels, like 2,4,5,7,8,10, then you either need to change the channel, increase transmission strength, mount a larger antenna (hardly ever necessary btw), or switch to a different protocol, for example N or AC at 5G will always work stable. We’re aware logging into the router and changing these settings is not as easy as selecting a different output in Roon so we’re working on making this all configurable from a remote app..

Do you have any theories as to why using the Taiko router wifi would sound better than using one's home wifi + port forwarding?

I use Taikoaudio wifi for music and on occasion I was dropping the signal but it seemed to be at times when almost certainly neighbors adjacent to my house were using wifi as well as me having many access points in my house that could force me to drop the Taiko wifi signal. I must admit that recently it has been rock stable. But here is my question and please excuse my ignorance when it comes to routers. The only things on my Taiko wifi network are the Extreme and my iPad (which BTW I use wireless and have never had an issue).....My Olympus will come absent of any internal library. I have already cried my entire library to a NAS which I had hoped to connect via the DCD and DC cables but Im happy with the way I power my DCD and switch and using my NAS would obligate me to find a new LPS which I dont want to do. Furthermore it is apparent from all of Emile's posts that the NAS can just as well be place in a different room with out any concern for hampering SQ. I have therefore place my NAS in a downstairs bedroom where my home network originates. My NAS is wired into my home router via ethernet. It is my understanding that the Taiko router will require port forwarding to access my NAS which is on the home network upstream from my Taikoaudio wifi. By doing such will this bring all the noise from my home network back into my system which is the very reason as I understand it that makes the Taiko router so valuable by eliminating all of the upstream noise. Pardon my ignorance if the answer is obvious but this is the reason that I wanted to consider having my NAS in my music room.

Reactions: John T
I use Taikoaudio wifi for music and on occasion I was dropping the signal but it seemed to be at times when almost certainly neighbors adjacent to my house were using wifi as well as me having many access points in my house that could force me to drop the Taiko wifi signal. I must admit that recently it has been rock stable. But here is my question and please excuse my ignorance when it comes to routers. The only things on my Taiko wifi network are the Extreme and my iPad (which BTW I use wireless and have never had an issue).....My Olympus will come absent of any internal library. I have already cried my entire library to a NAS which I had hoped to connect via the DCD and DC cables but Im happy with the way I power my DCD and switch and using my NAS would obligate me to find a new LPS which I dont want to do. Furthermore it is apparent from all of Emile's posts that the NAS can just as well be place in a different room with out any concern for hampering SQ. I have therefore place my NAS in a downstairs bedroom where my home network originates. My NAS is wired into my home router via ethernet. It is my understanding that the Taiko router will require port forwarding to access my NAS which is on the home network upstream from my Taikoaudio wifi. By doing such will this bring all the noise from my home network back into my system which is the very reason as I understand it that makes the Taiko router so valuable by eliminating all of the upstream noise. Pardon my ignorance if the answer is obvious but this is the reason that I wanted to consider having my NAS in my music room.
So theoretically with a 2 rail LPS you could power your NAS?

So theoretically with a 2 rail LPS you could power your NAS?
yes but not sure I want to make the investment as Emile and tsaett have repeatedly stated that moving the NAS to a different rom will not affect SQ. My NAS is now hardwired via RJ-45 into my home router which caused me to raise the question re port forwarding on the Taiko router to see the NAS

yes but not sure I want to make the investment as Emile and tsaett have repeatedly stated that moving the NAS to a different rom will not affect SQ. My NAS is now hardwired via RJ-45 into my home router which caused me to raise the question re port forwarding on the Taiko router to see the NAS
Sure I get it, different scenarios...And yes taking into account what David explained...

My router/dcd is on order along with the O. Just to familiarize myself along with the understanding of the router. Where I live I certainly cannot pick up neighboring WI-Fi networks, (NO NEIGHBORS) which in a sense should make this more straight forward, I would think. In my remote living situation If I'm understanding correctly I should configure my Taiko router for Wi-Fi rather than do as @dminches does by using his home router, due to signal strength. I have a big open concept home, no partitions in the listening room. The delay for me in ordering the router was because as you mention "changing these settings are not easy". I will have help setting it up but anything further you may add will be appreciated...For this kind of money one wants to achieve optimized results...

In your case it should work optimal out of the box.

I agree that the partial report of Aries Cerat’s approach to XDMI raises eyebrows. How can this work? Maybe it has something to do with a solution more complimentary to their DAC’s voicing/R2R signature?

In my experience, SS generated even harmonics, ala Pass and others, are not a substitute for, nor the equivalent of properly implemented tube amplification. I’d like my XDMI analog out to be plain, not flavored. A flavor you can’t change. It seems likely that other improvements may be possible here, per Emile’s comments. Interesting times.
Another possibility that crossed my mind is that the USB input on the A/C DAC uses a small plug-in PCB that appears could be easily swapped out in the field. Maybe that is the plan to swap it out with an XDMI receiver board that is powered by the said external powered box? Keeping an end-to-end XDMI solution. All conjecture at this point until we get an announcement from A/C as to how they will implement XDMI.

Also, I didn't mean to imply the Taiko analog output stage should be a distortion generator. Quite the opposite. Just whatever distortion it may have be it 0.01% or less should adhere to the idea of the harmonic structure being predominantly 2nd order with each consecutive order halved in amplitude and with anything above the 4th order buried in the noise floor. This has been shown to produce the most musical sound even with very low distortion circuitry.

David's answer was correct...I would need to find an LPS with sufficient power and as stated I don't want to make that investment
Hi Steve, FWIW when I was streaming my music library from a NAS (spinning discs not SSD) before I got my Extreme (just using an OEM industrial PC on my local network via an Uptone EtherRegen switch, using the best power supplies / conditioners I could get my hands on), I found that better 'quality' of power supply to the NAS resulted in improved SQ.

I seem to recall (but could be wrong) Emile saying his experiments involved powering NAS via DCD, which is the best power supply conditioning I've experienced (until the BPS arrives with my Olympus).

Having said that, if general internet streaming now sounds as good / a touch better than local playback on Olympus + Router, then it would seem to be OK - unless with a top quality power supply for the NAS we can improve NAS to be even better than general internet streaming quality..?

Gotta love this hobby! ;)

Last edited:
Hi Steve, FWIW when I was streaming my music library from a NAS (spinning discs not SSD) before I got my Extreme (just using an OEM industrial PC on my local network via an Uptone EtherRegen switch, using the best power supplies / conditioners I could get my hands on), I found that better 'quality' of power supply to the NAS resulted in improved SQ.

I seem to recall (but could be wrong) Emile saying his experiments involved powering NAS via DCD, which is the best power supply conditioning I've experienced (until the BPS arrives with my Olympus).

Having said that, if general internet streaming now sounds as good / a touch better than local playback on Olympus + Router, then it would seem to be OK - unless with a top quality power supply for the NAS we can improve NAS to be even better than general internet streaming quality..?

Gotta love this hobby! ;)
from what I recall everything you said is correct until the Olympus comes into play when IIRC Emile said even a wall wart to the NAS in a separate room is fine . Also IIRC he commented that streaming vs use of library was essentially indistinguishable but I stand to be corrected if I misstated. My NAS requires more power than usual should I use it with the Taiko router and switch so for now at least I think I will leave it where it is BUT I have to stop and wonder that if my NAS is wired into my house router and port forwarding is necessary on the Taiko router am I bringing that upstream noise back into my system. As stated the only things on my Taikoaudio network are the Extreme and my iPad

Reactions: DW101
from what I recall everything you said is correct un til the Olympus comes into play when IIRC Emile said even a wall wart to the NAS in a separate room is fine . Also IIRC he commented that streaming vs use of library was essentially indistinguishable but I stand to be corrected if I misstated. My NAS requires more power than usual should I use it with the Taiko router and switch so for now at least I think I will leave it where it is BUT I have ti stop and wonder that if my NAS is wired into my house router and port forwarding is necessary on the Taiko router am I bringing that upstream noise back into my system. As stated the only things on my Taikoaudio network are the Extreme and my iPad
yes, the issue I was solving for with better LPS on the NAS could well be power supply 'pollution' related so Olympus BPS isolation (and / or other clever stuff in the Olympus) may make it moot - IIRC my experiment was done before I even got a dedicated sub-panel.

Reactions: steve williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing