Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Taiko-Olympus-big-advert.png

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
We have indeed designed the machined recesses in the corner pillars such that they can comfortably support the weight, even when the server is stacked on top of the I/O. When using aftermarket footers, we recommend using them in these locations, either under the existing acrylic footers, or instead of the standard footers. The acrylic footers are very easily removable using a hex key. When removed, the M6 (6mm) thread provides compatibility with M6-equipped aftermarket footers.

It makes a lot of sense to put the footers in a place that they were intended to be.

Reactions: Armsan
The one thing that I am hoping someone can point me in the correct direction is regarding the power cord IEC. My huge Masterbuilt Ultra PC's are like an elephant trunk and the sheer weight of them and gravity is preventing a solid lasting connection as I found a few times I lost power due to the power cord coming slightly loose from the IEC. I know there are some supporting after market things that are built to offer the weight and to help support heavy cable. Can anyone give me a link as to where I can buy a pair of these. Presently I am using a pair of Chin Cheng PC's

mike’s cable suspension system is pretty legendary. like artwork. doesn’t always take too much money w some creativity sometimes. but also thanks to all above for sharing some potential heavy cable management options. will be ready when the Olympus arrives. luckily for my relationship what happens behind the system, stays behind the system

Last edited:
THE BIG REVEAL

THE TAIKO AUDIO OLYMPUS/IO AMBASSADOR TRAVELING TOUR-STOP NUMBER ONE

This has been a simply wonderful past 4 days and one more to go. Friday I got notice that my Olympus/IO was on the truck and out for delivery. On Saturday evening after my Olympus and IO was unpacked , set up on my CMS platform Emile reached out to me and said that mine was to be the first combination in the field and that he was going to share a little secret with me. It was his incredible idea and with a sense of pride that he was starting an "ambassador tour" of members who owned the Olympus and IO and the Taiko traveling ambassador was to be none other than Christoph (tsaett), the General Manager of Taiko.I was truly surprised by Emile's comment but the staggering reality was when I woke up early Sunday morning and opened my text messages and the first was from Emile who had a big smiley on the message which simply stated ,"surprise, Chris arrives tonight 945 PM at LAX. Emile said it's late so he will probably get a hotel. I was gobsmacked and said, no friggin way will Chris travel on a 14 hour flight and find a hotel room . I said adamantly, I will be there myself to pick him up and bring him home where he will be my guest.

And so the die was cast. Chris, whom I had never met, but with whom I had. exchanged so many messages and emails over the previous several months found me immediately in the long line of people awaiting arrival of friends and relatives. We didn't make it home until about midnight but had a wonderful talk about all things Taiko and I have to say that Emile and team Taiko are fortunate to have such a wonderful young man to represent the company and I was flattered that I was the first stop on this Ambassador Tour. My understanding is that Chris has plans to be stopping on the East coast and also in Hong Kong to listen to these new Taiko systems in the field

Chris has been a wealth of information for me in helping fine tune the Olympus and Io. He has a keen sense of hearing and a fresh set of ears have always been welcome by me to offer advice.We have been listening now since Sunday and in between I have been showing Chris some of the fun places in Southern California. Yesterday after an earl morning listening session we hopped into my car and drove to the coasr where we had lunch right on the water at one of the best restaurants in the marina in Dana Point. After lunch we walked the marina trying to decide which yacht would benefit most from an inboard Taiko system. From there we got back in the car and headed north up the Pacific coast highway where I showed him all the highlights and from there we continued north to the glitz and bling of Newport Beach before we headed home for another late evening listening session. Last night Chris helped me fin my NAS where my 12 TB library of music now resided on my home network. Chris worked his magic and suddenly I was scanning my library for the first time on Roon.Have I said I miss XDMS :cool:.I'm getting used to using Roon which I have to admit sounds friggin awesome via my Lampi Horizon DAC and native XDMI. I am pretty certain Chris was impressed

Today was a fun day as Chris returns home on Thursday. He confided in me that one of his bucket list wishes was to take a picture of the Hollywood sign. I took the wish and booked a tour for Chris, my wife and I of the Hollywood Hills, , Mulholland drive, Sunset Blvd and Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Doby theater. WE just got home after stopping at my favorite sushi restaurant here in Orange County , as Chris loves sushi and this restaurant was extra special because of its name TAIKO SUSHI RESTAURANT. Chris tells me Emile is also a sushi lover so when he and Emile find the time to make the much awaited trip to my house for an open house weekend, for members to listen as well as to meet Emile and Chris I plan on taking a photo of Emile under the Taiko Sushi sign

I include below a few pictures I managed to capture over the past few days. Kudos to Emile for this brilliant idea and to Chris who took the 15 hour flight to be here and help with the set up and fine tuning. Taiko has had some bumps along the way these past few months but IMO they were victims of the perfect storm , with August EU vacations and shipping battery operated gear. I'm quite confidant that things will not only go smoother for everyone waiting their delivery but so also much quicker

IMO there is no finer customer service than that provided by Taiko Audio. Once the date is set by Emile, I will announce it here as all members are welcome.

So as the sun sets and the Taiko Ambassador makes his way home, be prepared for some on the east coast and in Hong Kong to get a message from Emile that the Taiko Ambassador is heading their way.

The one thing that I am hoping someone can point me in the correct direction is regarding the power cord IEC. My huge Masterbuilt Ultra PC's are like an elephant trunk and the sheer weight of them and gravity is preventing a solid lasting connection as I found a few times I lost power due to the power cord coming slightly loose from the IEC. I know there are some supporting after market things that are built to offer the weight and to help support heavy cable. Can anyone give me a link as to where I can buy a pair of these. Presently I am using a pair of Chin Cheng PC's
You might try one of these. Well made and inexpensive. Adjustable height and they come in 2 sizes, short and tall.

Oops, just noticed post 3304. Above seems the same but different and slightly cheaper

Last edited:
THE BIG REVEAL

This has been a simply wonderful past 4 days and one more to go. Friday I got notice that my Olympus/IO was on the truck and out for delivery. On Saturday evening after my Olympus and IO was unpacked , set up on my CMS platform Emile reached out to me and said that mine was to be the first combination in the field and that he was going to share a little secret with me. It was his incredible idea and with a sense of pride that he was starting an "ambassador tour" of members who owned the Olympus and IO and the Taiko traveling ambassador was to be none other than Christoph (tsaett), the General Manager of Taiko.I was truly surprised by Emile's comment but the staggering reality was when I woke up early Sunday morning and opened my text messages and the first was from Emile who had a big smiley on the message which simply stated ,"surprise, Chris arrives tonight 945 PM at LAX. Emile said it's late so he will probably get a hotel. I was gobsmacked and said, no friggin way will Chris travel on a 14 hour flight and find a hotel room . I said adamantly, I will be there myself to pick him up and bring him home where he will be my guest.

And so the die was cast. Chris, whom I had never met, but with whom I had. exchanged so many messages and emails over the previous several months found me immediately in the long line of people awaiting arrival of friends and relatives. We didn't make it home until about midnight but had a wonderful talk about all things Taiko and I have to say that Emile and team Taiko are fortunate to have such a wonderful young man to represent the company and I was flattered that I was the first stop on this Ambassador Tour. My understanding is that Chris has plans to be stopping on the East coast and also in Hong Kong to listen to these new Taiko systems in the field

Chris has been a wealth of information for me in helping fine tune the Olympus and Io. He has a keen sense of hearing and a fresh set of ears have always been welcome by me to offer advice.We have been listening now since Sunday and in between I have been showing Chris some of the fun places in Southern California. Yesterday after an earl morning listening session we hopped into my car and drove to the coasr where we had lunch right on the water at one of the best restaurants in the marina in Dana Point. After lunch we walked the marina trying to decide which yacht would benefit most from an inboard Taiko system. From there we got back in the car and headed north up the Pacific coast highway where I showed him all the highlights and from there we continued north to the glitz and bling of Newport Beach before we headed home for another late evening listening session. Last night Chris helped me fin my NAS where my 12 TB library of music now resided on my home network. Chris worked his magic and suddenly I was scanning my library for the first time on Roon.Have I said I miss XDMS :cool:.I'm getting used to using Roon which I have to admit sounds friggin awesome via my Lampi Horizon DAC and native XDMI. I am pretty certain Chris was impressed

Today was a fun day as Chris returns home on Thursday. He confided in me that one of his bucket list wishes was to take a picture of the Hollywood sign. I took the wish and booked a tour for Chris, my wife and I of the Hollywood Hills, , Mulholland drive, Sunset Blvd and Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Doby theater. WE just got home after stopping at my favorite sushi restaurant here in Orange County , as Chris loves sushi and this restaurant was extra special because of its name TAIKO SUSHI RESTAURANT. Chris tells me Emile is also a sushi lover so when he and Emile find the time to make the much awaited trip to my house for an open house weekend, for members to listen as well as to meet Emile and Chris I plan on taking a photo of Emile under the Taiko Sushi sign

I include below a few pictures I managed to capture over the past few days. Kudos to Emile for this brilliant idea and to Chris who took the 15 hour flight to be here and help with the set up and fine tuning. Taiko has had some bumps along the way these past few months but IMO they were victims of the perfect storm , with August EU vacations and shipping battery operated gear. I'm quite confidant that things will not only go smoother for everyone waiting their delivery but so also much quicker

IMO there is no finer customer service than that provided by Taiko Audio. Once the date is set by Emile, I will announce it here as all members are welcome.

So as the sun sets and the Taiko Ambassador makes his way home, be prepared for some on the east coast and in Hong Kong to get a message from Emile that the Taiko Ambassador is heading their way.
Steve, sounds like a great kick off for your new O and I/O. You are absolutely spot on about Taiko’s exemplary customer service. Looking forward to getting my O and I/O hopefully before the end of the year being # 120. Hope to come for listen soon!

I just wanted to pop in with a quick update to my own Taiko Olympus saga. While Christoph was visiting Steve, he was kind enough to spare a few minutes to hold my hand over Face Time as I swapped out the Analog XDMI card for the Lampi Link to get my Poseidon into the mix. The swap turned out to be extremely easy, I was just overlooking where I needed to loosen screws to free the card.

Anyway, Chris proved to be an extremely nice and patient person and I'm hoping to host him at my home when he makes it out to the East Coast. Everyone I've had the pleasure of interacting at the Taiko Team are total sweethearts and we should all remember this.

1725462009534.png

As it pertains to the Olympus / Poseidon combination, to call it stunning would be an understatement. There are things going on which I'm still trying to wrap my head around, but generally speaking the combination is extremely clear and coherent, extremely nimble and fast resolving (without sacrificing textures) has incredible dynamic qualities and brings about a level of dimensionality that is almost hallucinagnic. It's not just about tracing performer in front of you, but rather a sense that you could get up, walk on stage and move around, about and in back of these images and objects.

I'll report more as I formulate further impressions and figure out the words to convey them, but I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this pairing!

well it was our hope today that the Traveling Ambassador and I would make a short drive down to SanDiego and knock on the door of Ray-Dude to hear his wonderful system but much to our chagrin Ray is at work so change of plan.We will have a listening session here and then drive into Laguna Beach for lunch at may favorite restaurant right on the sand. In fact Emile if you are reading this you will remember I took you and Ted there as well when you visited several years ago

well it was our hope today that the Traveling Ambassador and I would make a short drive down to SanDiego and knock on the door of Ray-Dude to hear his wonderful system but much to our chagrin Ray is at work so change of plan.We will have a listening session here and then drive into Laguna Beach for lunch at may favorite restaurant right on the sand. In fact Emile if you are reading this you will remember I took you and Ted there as well when you visited several years ago

I do, this one right?

IMG_3418.jpeg

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
THE BIG REVEAL

I'd like to express my gratitude to Steve and his lovely wife Cathy for hosting me over the past days.

At Taiko we thought it would be a good idea to accompany the delivery of the first I/Os with a personal visit, to make sure the installations go smoothly and to get first hand customer feedback.
What I was not ready for is the amazing hospitality of Steve, who would not let me stay in a hotel even for one night.

The past days have been rewarding in many dimensions - first and foremost, the sound we are getting in Steve's listening room is absolutely stellar. The system offers a very involving sound with an immersive sound stage, great dynamics and a very delicate, capturing midrange. I have no idea how these SETs can offer this level of control over these big Wilsons, but they clearly are a match made in heaven. When the lights are turned down, the walls absolutely melt away and you lose the sense of time and place - what a great experience. Since this is my first visit to Steve's, I do not have a reference to the pre-Olympus sound, but according to Steve this is the best his system has ever sounded - I have to believe him here!
Kudos to Steve's acoustician too, she did a great job with that room.

Accompanying the sonic treats, I got the full Southern California experience thanks to Steve. Food, drinks, sights, all have been excellent. As long term SoCal residents, he and his wife even took me on the most touristy spots in LA which locals avoid at all costs - what a sacrifice!
The icing was when Steve mentioned that there is a Sushi place called Taiko, offering one of the best Sushi in the area. He wasn't joking, for tuna this level of freshness is impossible to get in central Europe.

I am happy the first installation went the way it did, I'm even more happy to see the new owner enjoying his system more than ever. I am looking forward to make a few more stops in the coming weeks and of course I am more than happy to come back for the open house event at Steve's, that we are planning this year.

More to come!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu