Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Taiko-Olympus-big-advert.png

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
The I/O does indeed address that specific “issue”.
If I understand correctly, it is not necessary to remove the internal storage card ( if one plans not to use it) installed in the Olympus server if one is using Olympus I/O with XDMI taiko Lampi Horizon output board?
Having the internal storage but not using it to store files in the above situation will not degrade sound quality?
Thanks in advance for clarification!

Hi Ray.
Great job!!!.
One question, to which input of the Taiko DCD have you connected your NAS: Alt_1, Alt_2 or Default?

I have my music on my home file server on my home network (not connected to my Taiko Router). I have not experimented with moving storage around my network yet (I hit diminishing returns when I couldn't tell the difference between Qobuz and my home file server)

For my DCD, I have Alt1 going to my Taiko router and switch. Much to play with and learn with the Taiko network stack still

Hi @cmarin ,

Not Steve but assume you won’t mind me answering this one :)

This is normally not necessary. If your NAS is upstream of your router, aka on the WAN or Internet side, it will be in a different subnet / ip range.

If you enter your NAS ip-address into Roon, and that address is not in it’s own subnet/ip-address, aka on the LAN / music network side, it will automatically attempt to reach it on the WAN side.

This same process is used when you browse whatsbestforum.com from your home computer.

We did configure port forwarding for Steve prior to the arrival of his Olympus which wasn’t necessary in hindsight as he changed his NAS location from downstream to upstream.

If you want to setup port forwarding the procedure is described in the Router manual which you can download from our website.

If that looks challenging you can of course always contact our support team.

Edit for clarity: port forwarding is ONLY necessary if you position your NAS downstream of the Router (on the LAN side) and if you want to access your NAS from a device upstream of the Router (on the WAN side).

Emile,

Great explanation as usual!

I only wanted to add that if you're used to referring to your NAS by its name (for example \\MusicNAS\music) when everything was on your home network, these names typically don't work across subnets.

So as Emile suggested, reference your NAS by its IP address instead (for example \\192.168.1.150\music) and all should be good.

Hi @cmarin ,

Not Steve but assume you won’t mind me answering this one :)

This is normally not necessary. If your NAS is upstream of your router, aka on the WAN or Internet side, it will be in a different subnet / ip range.

If you enter your NAS ip-address into Roon, and that address is not in it’s own subnet/ip-address, aka on the LAN / music network side, it will automatically attempt to reach it on the WAN side.

This same process is used when you browse whatsbestforum.com from your home computer.

We did configure port forwarding for Steve prior to the arrival of his Olympus which wasn’t necessary in hindsight as he changed his NAS location from downstream to upstream.

If you want to setup port forwarding the procedure is described in the Router manual which you can download from our website.

If that looks challenging you can of course always contact our support team.

Edit for clarity: port forwarding is ONLY necessary if you position your NAS downstream of the Router (on the LAN side) and if you want to access your NAS from a device upstream of the Router (on the WAN side).
Like I said...I'm totally ignorant to all of this and thats why I asked Taiko and allowed them to make the recommendations. FWIW, using Roon there has been zero problems being able to play files from this method and as I also said I find it virtually impossible for my ears to distinguish any difference in SQ whether I am streaming via Qobuz or Tidal or I am playing my internal files which are in a downstairs bedroom wired via a cheap RJ45 cable to my main router. and at least 100 feet away from my sound room My mistake for calling it port forwarding. All I know is that it works flawlessly thanks to Taiko audio help.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Apologies, if this is already been answered…
If the internal storage is not being used, is it using any power that could degrade sound quality from streaming?

I have my music on my home file server on my home network (not connected to my Taiko Router). I have not experimented with moving storage around my network yet (I hit diminishing returns when I couldn't tell the difference between Qobuz and my home file server)

For my DCD, I have Alt1 going to my Taiko router and switch. Much to play with and learn with the Taiko network stack still
Then I misunderstood, I thought your NAS was powered by the Taiko DCD.

Can certainly provide, but that will take some time. I made a note so I won't forget
I wonder if it is necessary to disconnect the Olympus from the power outlet and run it until the main battery is at zero before removing the card that has the music ssd.

If making a video will take a while, detailed step by step instructions would be fine for me. Thanks.

You would put the system into standby, then use the BMS app to put the BPS's into shipping mode. That turns off power from the batteries and powers down the system.

After that, I removed my card with both the drives on it, unscrewed the music storage drive and removed it from the card, then put the card back in and brought the system back up.

With a video, it will be very easy to follow

The I/O does indeed address that specific “issue”.
Emile, is this to say that if I have the Olympus with standard internal storage, that the sound quality degradation which ray-dude has made comment on is alleviated/eliminated in combined use with the I/O? Thanks! : ) - kevin

I haven’t heard the analogue card and you haven’t heard the digital card. What I find with XDMI via the digital card is that all formats played native, sound excellent in my system. I don’t look any more nor do I search out formats. I find that with XDMI everything just sounds right to my ears and my analogue board is still in the wrapping in which I received it . When Emile finds time for a week end open house I am looking forward to the comparison of both boards
Steve,
That might be unfair comparison if you use Fresh out of the box Taiko DAC board i comparison to "used every day" XDMI Lampizator.

I hope you will have a burned in Taiko DAC board for this comparison test.

I am a big fan of DCD.
Not sure if I am the only one but I purchesed 2 of them.
Some of my " attached" DC devices are 12v ( Taiko switch, Taiko Router) and few ( modem , home router , PinkFaun clocks ) are 5v.
It made a perfect sense to use TWO DCDs . One for 12v devices second for 5v devices.

As a side note
accidentally I powered only one of my devices directly to SJ DC4 ARC6 power supply and lost part of the " magic "

Every device I connected to DCD (even with top power supply feeding DCD) benefits from additional filtering offered by DCD.

I believe it is partially due to the fact of additional filters between all DCD rails including both + and grounding side of it.

I wonder if it is necessary to disconnect the Olympus from the power outlet and run it until the main battery is at zero before removing the card that has the music ssd.

If making a video will take a while, detailed step by step instructions would be fine for me. Thanks.

Like @ray-dude suggested, If you want to disable all internal power the best way to go is to disconnect the Olympus from mains power and to place the batteries in “shipping mode”.

We’re already working on a new version of the BMS app where we’ll add an additional button with a different label for this, like “storm mode” or, more straight forward, “disable battery power”.

If I understand correctly, it is not necessary to remove the internal storage card ( if one plans not to use it) installed in the Olympus server if one is using Olympus I/O with XDMI taiko Lampi Horizon output board?
Having the internal storage but not using it to store files in the above situation will not degrade sound quality?
Thanks in advance for clarification!

Emile, is this to say that if I have the Olympus with standard internal storage, that the sound quality degradation which ray-dude has made comment on is alleviated/eliminated in combined use with the I/O? Thanks! : ) - kevin

The I/O significantly reduces the impact but does not fully eliminate it. In high-end audio everything unfortunately matters.

Local storage has always had a negative effect on sound quality. This is nothing new, it affects the Extreme, it affects the Olympus. Ssd tweaks have been offered for over a decade, and most commercial manufacturers take some kind of measure to try and minimise this effect.

This has just always been something you had to accept, as although bad for sound, it was still better then playing files from a NAS or from Tidal/Qobuz.

That has changed however. We can now play files from a NAS or from Tidal/Qobuz without sonic degradation. This gives you the option to eliminate the internal drive and boost performance a few % higher.

Although I don't have my Olympus yet, after reading Ray's fantastic article, I've decided to get my old NAS back. My question is, from the sound quality point of view, is it better to connect it to the Taiko Router or to the ISP Router at home?

It doesn’t appear to matter, all those who’ve tried report their NAS sounds similar or the same as streaming from Qobuz. Some have it connected to the Taiko Router / DCD, some to their home router.

The I/O significantly reduces the impact but does not fully eliminate it. In high-end audio everything unfortunately matters.

Local storage has always had a negative effect on sound quality. This is nothing new, it affects the Extreme, it affects the Olympus. Ssd tweaks have been offered for over a decade, and most commercial manufacturers take some kind of measure to try and minimise this effect.

This has just always been something you had to accept, as although bad for sound, it was still better then playing files from a NAS or from Tidal/Qobuz.

That has changed however. We can now play files from a NAS or from Tidal/Qobuz without sonic degradation. This gives you the option to eliminate the internal drive and boost performance a few % higher.
Thanks for your quick and definitive reply, Emile : )

Reactions: Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu