Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @jeremya ,

In theory yes, you should be able to add an Olympus I/O to your DIY server assuming it runs windows 10 or 11 and uses either Intel Xeon datacenter (not the xeon versions of consumer level chips) or AMD Epyc gen3 or gen4 CPUs. However we just cannot guarantee performance as we cannot put considerable effort in supporting this very limited use case. As an example we did indeed attempt to supply some components for the DIY market in the past, but we ended up spending a lot of time and selling very few components. For example we ran a batch of 100 pieces of a GaN fet based DC-DC ATX power-supplies and we sold ..35.. While the accompanying ULPS design ended up being copied 1 on 1 in a competitor’s product.. :) We’re absolutely sympathetic to the DIY community but in the end we do have a business to run and our main focus should be on our customers buying our servers.
WOW that few? You should have signed all of them, would have made my 2 ATX boards unique collectors items ;-)

We almost had more custom chokes made when it came to the point of replacing the Hammond chokes in the ULPS for something more substantial.

In a digital interface system the source and destination device clocks should be synchronised, aka there needs to be a master clock.

Ideally the DAC’s clock should be the system's clock master as jitter is most significant where digital signals are converted to analogue. Timing is most critical here as samples should be reconstructed at the right moment in time. This is something proprietary interfaces like MSB’s Pro ISL do, the DAC clock is the master and provides the clock for the source.

AES/EBU and SPDIF are self clocking, the source is the master clock, the clock signal is embedded in the datastream. This is not ideal. So a lot of high-end dacs use a buffer (reclocker) to isolate the embedded signal clock from the DAC clock.

An alternative to using a buffer/reclocker is to use an external master clock to provide a clock to both source and signal. This will need to be supported by both source and DAC, they will both need to have an external clock input.
As an Extreme and Vivaldi System user, it would be good if Vivaldi Clock can also output clock signal to Taiko Server! Which would be an option for tuning the sound and technically locking the digital components all together by an external master clock.

I understand that Olympus does not sound digital or analog, but what the recording engineer thought to convey.(Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O, post #1).

Taiko Audio —> We are introducing a new server model today, called the Olympus. Hierarchically it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience then the Extreme, or any other server I've heard for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions as sound staging, dynamics, colour palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

What about those of us that like the glorious sound of analogue? For many of us this sound is closer to live music than Digital has ever been! (this doesn’t mean Digital can’t be very very good).

Would it be better for us to continue with the Extreme (which presently seems close to analogue; NSM sounds awesome), or are you working behind the scenes to create another unit that will give us the true analogue sound some us still crave from Digital.

Thanks.

I understand that Olympus does not sound digital or analog, but what the recording engineer thought to convey.(Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O, post #1).

What about those of us that like the glorious sound of analogue? For many of us this sound is closer to live music than Digital has ever been! (this doesn’t mean Digital can’t be very very good).

Would it be better for us to continue with the Extreme (which presently seems close to analogue; NSM sounds awesome), or are you working behind the scenes to create another unit that will give us the true analogue sound some us still crave from Digital.

Thanks.
I think what Emile was saying is that the Olympus sound transcends the capabilities of current digital or analog technology. If you want the sound of analog playback, maybe you could feed the analog output from the Olympus into a recording tape machine, then feed the output from the playback head to your preamp:p

Hi @jeremya ,

In theory yes, you should be able to add an Olympus I/O to your DIY server assuming it runs windows 10 or 11 and uses either Intel Xeon datacenter (not the xeon versions of consumer level chips) or AMD Epyc gen3 or gen4 CPUs. However we just cannot guarantee performance as we cannot put considerable effort in supporting this very limited use case. As an example we did indeed attempt to supply some components for the DIY market in the past, but we ended up spending a lot of time and selling very few components. For example we ran a batch of 100 pieces of a GaN fet based DC-DC ATX power-supplies and we sold ..35.. While the accompanying ULPS design ended up being copied 1 on 1 in a competitor’s product.. :) We’re absolutely sympathetic to the DIY community but in the end we do have a business to run and our main focus should be on our customers buying our servers.
Hi Emile

I am also interested in adding an Olymbus I/O XDMI to my DIY server. My basic use case is to position it as a high quality DAC connected through the XDMI interface. A few questions here:

1) Why the support is only limited to Xeon datacentre and AMD Epyc gen3 or gen4 CPUs but not the more popular newer CPUs like Intel Core 14th Gen desktop processors? Are these limited by the hardware of QFSP interface boards or device drivers?

2) I assume all third-party software players like HQPlayer and Foobar2000 can be used as the same software interface will be provided by your device drivers. Is that correct?

3) Why Windows 10 and 11 were selected instead of Windows Server used in the Extreme?

4) For the pricing of Euro 37400 of the Olymbus I/O XDMI, the whole package will include: 1 x XDMI base board, 1 x RCA stereo output daughter board, 1 x AES/EBU + SPDIF daughter board, 1 x Taiko network card, 1 x Taiko USB card, 2 x QFSP PCI interface cards to be installed on the server side, 2 x QFSP cables. Is my understanding correct?

Thank you.

Hi Emile,

If we’re starting to count votes, my own preference is to use: (1) balanced analog output to a preamp (I don’t envision not using my current CH Precision L10 anytime in the near future - but never say never); and (2) AES digital output to DAC - specifically to a totaldac sublime.
Okay since we're making our wish lists, here's mine
1. Analogue outputs in both RCA and XLR
2. Digital outputs in XLR AES/EBU and RCA SPDIF
3. A Taiko Waffle Maker

Okay since we're making our wish lists, here's mine
1. Analogue outputs in both RCA and XLR
2. Digital outputs in XLR AES/EBU and RCA SPDIF
3. A Taiko Waffle Maker

I need that too.
Waffle Maker is a must to have

I believe We have already AES board with XLR, Spdif with RCA and BNC .
So the real need for me is Analog XLR . Best with volume control,

Just imagine you could skip your preamp and DAC With interconnecting cables.
Olympus with Olympus IO could be in this case considered as FREE of charge.

Untitled-2.jpg

Here we go!

I've just placed an order for an Olympus Server + Olympus I/O XDMI.

Santa has been pretty generous this year!

I'm looking forward to trying it out and comparing the digital and analogue outputs.

Soulution 760 DAC + Olympus Server + Olympus I/O XDMI - AES/EBU

and

Soulution 725 Preamp + Olympus Server + Olympus I/O XDMI - Analogue

I don't own the Soulution 725 but I'm going to borrow it specially for the occasion.

I'll be sure to give a detailed feedback.

The Soulution 760 is a fine DAC, particulary in its price braquet. And the synergy with the 711 is really something special.

But who knows, I might be surprised ! ;-)

Cheers,

Thomas

Last edited:
View attachment 122394

Here we go!

I've just placed an order for an Olympus Server + Olympus I/O XDMI.

Santa has been pretty generous this year!

I'm looking forward to trying it out and comparing the digital and analogue outputs.

Soulution 760 DAC + Olympus Server + Olympus I/O XDMI - AES/EBU

and

Soulution 725 Preamp + Olympus Server + Olympus I/O XDMI - Analogue

I don't own the Soulution 725 but I'm going to borrow it specially for the occasion.

I'll be sure to give a detailed feedback.

The Soulution 760 is a fine DAC, particulary in its price braquet. And the synergy with the 711 is really something special.

But who knows, I might be surprised ! ;-)

Cheers,

Thomas
Ought to be One Very Fine Listening Experience...I will be very interested in what you come up with...

Hi Emile

I am also interested in adding an Olymbus I/O XDMI to my DIY server. My basic use case is to position it as a high quality DAC connected through the XDMI interface. A few questions here:

1) Why the support is only limited to Xeon datacentre and AMD Epyc gen3 or gen4 CPUs but not the more popular newer CPUs like Intel Core 14th Gen desktop processors? Are these limited by the hardware of QFSP interface boards or device drivers?

2) I assume all third-party software players like HQPlayer and Foobar2000 can be used as the same software interface will be provided by your device drivers. Is that correct?

3) Why Windows 10 and 11 were selected instead of Windows Server used in the Extreme?

4) For the pricing of Euro 37400 of the Olymbus I/O XDMI, the whole package will include: 1 x XDMI base board, 1 x RCA stereo output daughter board, 1 x AES/EBU + SPDIF daughter board, 1 x Taiko network card, 1 x Taiko USB card, 2 x QFSP PCI interface cards to be installed on the server side, 2 x QFSP cables. Is my understanding correct?

Thank you.

Hi @SK8 ,

It's starting to dawn on me that this may be a no go anyway. But I'll answer your questions pending a closer look into do-ability.

1) These lack specific features we use.
2) No that is incorrect.
3) Because of the way we use it.
4) For the Olympus I/O you have to choose between USB and XDMI, the Olympus Server contains both, otherwise correct.

Hi @SK8 ,

It's starting to dawn on me that this may be a no go anyway. But I'll answer your questions pending a closer look into do-ability.

1) These lack specific features we use.
2) No that is incorrect.
3) Because of the way we use it.
4) For the Olympus I/O you have to choose between USB and XDMI, the Olympus Server contains both, otherwise correct.
Most "normal" people arise in the morning, cup of tea, or coffee, read a few newspapers. Then we have WBF people! Totally focused on another subject! I think the (New Yorker) used to be a good magazine, Did a piece on audiophile mentality? It would take a very good writer to capture the true dedication, focus, undivided obsessive attention that many of us share. It's really a fascinating subject as to the captivation we have or how it was instilled upon us...Or why?

Last edited:
Most "normal" people arise in the morning, cup of tea, or coffee, read a few newspapers. Then we have WBF people! Totally focused on another subject! I think the (New Yorker) used to be a good magazine, Did a piece on audiophile mentality? It would take a very good writer to capture the true dedication, focus, undivided obsessive attention that many of us share. It's really a fascinating subject as to the captivation we have or how it was instilled upon us...Or why?
I can't drink my coffee without reading the Taiko threads

I can't drink my coffee without reading the Taiko threads
I have to admit that I don't read everything, far from it. I select. Which is sometimes a bit of a problem as I miss some interesting information. One can't do everything, can one?

Right now I'm off to train at the climbing gym. At my age, if one wants to keep climbing at a certain level, one can never stop training...

Reading about Mount Olympus suggests Emile has the new server appropriately named........

Mount Olympus, mountain peak, the highest (9,570 feet [2,917 metres]) in Greece. It is part of the Olympus massif near the Gulf of Thérmai (Modern Greek: Thermaïkós) of the Aegean Sea and lies astride the border between Macedonia (Makedonía) and Thessaly (Thessalía). It is also designated as Upper Olympus (Áno Ólympos), as opposed to Lower Olympus (Káto Ólympos), an adjacent peak on the south rising to 5,210 feet (1,588 metres).

Mount Olympus is snowcapped and often has cloud cover. According to Homer’s Odyssey, however, the peak never has storms and it basks in cloudless aith?r(Greek: “pure upper air”; thus “ether”). Later writers elaborated upon this description, which may have originated from the observation that the peak is often visible above a belt of relatively low clouds. In Greek mythology, Mount Olympus was regarded as the abode of the gods and the site of the throne of Zeus. The name Olympus was used for several other mountains as well as hills, villages, and mythical personages in Greece and Asia Minor.

The big question now is whether we start addressing Emile as Zeus ;)

… well all I know is that Olympus Mons is the heighest mountain on Mars and with approx. 22-26 km in peak nearly 3x the height of Mount Everest.

For me this means Emile is quite confident in his latest creation. ;)

Last edited:
I have to admit that I don't read everything, far from it. I select. Which is sometimes a bit of a problem as I miss some interesting information. One can't do everything, can one?

Right now I'm off to train at the climbing gym. At my age, if one wants to keep climbing at a certain level, one can never stop training...
I hope your fingers and hands are in better shape than mine...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing