Is "Walking Up On Stage" a Sonic Attribute?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Isn't the magic of a Wadax software.
no. one big advantage of the Wadax is hardware, a chip. executing the Dual-differential musIC 3 128-bit-feed-forward error correction process. and it's nothing off the shelf, or outsourced. it's their own. the Wadax Reference Dac is also modular, so upgradable over time.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Reactions: Docluis

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
this is an example of imaging and staging. Not of walking up on stage.
Kedar forget walking on stage no one walks on stage ok
what I mean is what you just posted if you remove the walk on stage comment lol.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do we have to have one of our professors teach a seminar on what "abstract concept" means?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kedar forget walking on stage no one walks on stage ok
what I mean is what you just posted if you remove the walk on stage comment lol.

then why start a thread with that as title? There are enough threads on the other topics

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do we have to have one of our professors teach a seminar on what "abstract concept" means?
What type of systems/components do you think deliver “abstract concept?”

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What type of systems/components do you think deliver “abstract concept?”

I am not sure. I did not have a secret personal answer to my opening post question.

I think some of the necessary, but not necessarily sufficient, conditions include:

-- ambient cues and adequate phase information encoded on the recording

-- components and cabling system which maintain proper velocity of propagation of different frequencies

-- components and cabling system which maintain integrity of phase information encoded on recording

-- physical listening room space large enough to suggest the illusion of a stage in front you (i.e., not a closet)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am not sure. I did not have a secret answer to my opening post question.

sorry my abstract concept post was a sarcastic poke that is this another hifi attribute you are making up? Just in spirit of the thread

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
To be honest i think this is also a far fetched/ non realistic thread tittle .
I was gonna say " walking up on stage " can certainly become a sonic attribute these days with cable lifters and those thick short high end cables , but this is gonna be labelled as not on topic / sarcastic probably :)

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
sorry my abstract concept post was a sarcastic poke that is this another hifi attribute you are making up? Just in spirit of the thread

No, not an attempt to make anything up, and not an attempt to make up another attribute, let alone another hi-fi" attribute (like pinpoint imaging or black backgrounds).

It seems that some of our members who have recordings whose systems afford them the illusion of this sensation knew what I was referring to.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, not an attempt to make anything up, and not an attempt to make up another attribute, let alone another hi-fi" attribute (like pinpoint imaging or black backgrounds).

It seems that some of our members who have recordings whose systems afford them the illusion of this sensation knew what I was referring to.

No they quoted other attributes which have been used before to explain this one. So it was only another phrase for an existing concept. 3D, imaging, staging etc

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
a walk around soundstage is easily understood. i can relate this idea to my system listening experience. "walking up on stage" = "walk around/look around sound stage" in my mind.

yet also easy to take the words and discredit them too. and many live experiences don't result in that same experience, so handcuffed by that 'live' reference i can also see it not fitting into some listener's views as desirable or a preference. it is for me something i value. although certainly not essential. not every/all good recordings can do this. not every system does this equally.

YMMV.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I think we largely agree, maybe not on every point; yours was an excellent post. Thank you.

I keep coming back to the idea that these soundstage effects are psycho-acoustic. The acoustic comes from speaker positioning and room factors. The mental aspect is what a listener experiences while listening; some listeners may be more susceptible than others.. Some role is played by recording, mastering and performance context. No single factor is their cause. If such audiophile effects are a 'sonic attribute' they are not independent from individual experience and thus not objective.

Listening to my stereo I am generally satisfied with the experience of an orchestra in a hall.
As Tim points out that a sonic thing (a phenomenon) like walk on the stage level of lifelike-ness requires a range of things to come together and that all starts with the recording.

If there is a high degree of coherence and resolution in the recording it does make it possible for a well setup system to establish the cues for this phenomena captured in the recording (if this is well preserved all through the chain) it can (at levels) follow through to become apparent to us in the listening experience. I don’t think in a system that’s fundamentally well sorted that it’s (at a level) rare… maybe the final reality suspension-ness of it all comes at quite differing levels. Certainly full range dipole planars have a head start in recreating these cues for me.

But as this effect is recording dependent and as my priorities have shifted to being more performance focussed in my library choices recording quality isn’t always the absolute holographic kind so it becomes a coincidental occurrence more so than any kind of a primary goal. As I have (dare I say it touch wood :eek:) satisfied many of my essential system goals I’ve become less and less audiophile driven and more and more fundamentally music and performance orientated. Just a bit of a different balance of aims but I still love it all.

But if I was back in my earlier extreme audiophile-at-all-costs and take no prisoners phase (say 10 or 12 years ago particularly when the Magnepans shaped most of my listening experiences) I’d have probably said the walk in stage experience could have been a more attractive primary goal for me to chase and would have chosen the recordings to highlight this as a priority.

But it’s a tough reality that the best performances just aren’t necessarily directly correlated at all to the most ideal recordings.

So now I’d see the audiophile paranormal (said with love) just as a more occasional data point that happens but the recordings I choose these days aren’t being informed by the need to seek out this kind of audiophile oriented moment as a primary aim. If sonic phenomena like this comes through well great, it’s not the focus or does it contribute highly to my music appreciation. I actually don’t want it to pull my focus away from being in the music.

I suppose it comes back to what I found when I get caught up in the at times distractions of audiophile attached phenomena I maybe also lose my way by fixating too much on any particular aspect of it if it isn’t actually my real goal. So knowing what we’re chasing allows us to navigate better (or create a hierarchy) through the minefield of audio illusions.

Maybe if the music was not quite as engaging my attention might make me want to stray back more fixedly up on the recreated stage as something that can get my Apple Watch move goal happening (virtually) but that’s about it. It’s a magic thing but it isn’t the main show for me. I prefer it when my focus is just in the music making and not so much in the mechanisms of the sound making.

It takes a great recording to help bring these kinds of moments and that is something that can the amazing but engaging performances and phenomenal music more brings the music to life for me so the holographic walk in recording (as phenomenal as it can be) takes a comfortable second place to more fundamental engagement in the music and a well chosen phenomenal stand up performance for me any time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcsnare and tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
a walk around soundstage is easily understood. i can relate this idea to my system listening experience. "walking up on stage" = "walk around/look around sound stage" in my mind.
even a walk around stage is completely different from walking up on stage. Walk around stage is 3D imaging, solid images.

walking up on stage lends an addition to they are here and you are there. It actually means you are there, but not in the audience, on the stage, while the audience, not the musicians, are here in front of you.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I’ve become less and less audiophile driven and more and more fundamentally music and performance orientated.

Excellent post Graham. I very much relate to all of what you wrote.

In a similar vein I wrote earlier this evening, somewhere else:

Early in my audio listening 'career' I was enthralled with the various imaging aspects of audiophile listening. I've described the experience in several reviews talking about dimensionality, palpability, bas-relief, being able to count musicians, being able walk among musicians. At times it was exciting.

As I've gone along in the hobby, those experiences are not as compelling to me as they once were. Fascination with audible parlor tricks (psycho-acoustics) wanes over time in a homogenizing way. I have not tweaked my Lamm/JBL system to enhance them. They are not a strong part of the live music experience. I think my view is somewhat larger in the sense - as I've said before - of experiencing the orchestra in a hall. That means musicians in a space with the venue context a significant part of that experience. I suppose it is still holographic but without requiring a strong visual element. It is more about the music, sometime even to the point of dissociating from the instruments. It is an experience antithetical to analysis and structured thought with a certain purity where my mind is wholly taken by the music, where I have no intentionality, and I give in to it.

That experience typically does not last long. It is not something I can will myself to have. This is the side of me that says imaging can be a distraction, an experience almost too close to the physical world. I don't want that wholly limbic 'possession' all the time, it would exhaust me, but it is a state beyond visual context. Another side of me does love the physicality of the orchestra experience, the human aspect of people making music, the brilliance of the composer and his score, the genius of the conductor in its artistic implementation. The experience of 'being in the hall.'

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
even a walk around stage is completely different from walking up on stage. Walk around stage is 3D imaging, solid images.

waking up on stage lends an addition to they are here and you are there. It actually means you are there, but not in the audience, on the stage, while the audience, not the musicians, are here in front of you.

This is what the early marketing efforts of “centerstage footers“ tried to convey. The marketing hype was incredible. When I first heard a full set under someone’s system, the impression I got was the exact opposite. The music was actually doll and distant and way in front of me. I’m not even sure I want a listening perspective of being up at the center of the stage when listening to music. It is not the perspective of most recordings, so such an affect is a complete manipulation and artificial sounding.

I understand this is different from what Ron is trying to convey. Reading the OP, I have the sense that recordings played on a well set up proper system should plant a physical impression of a stage with musicians on it in front of you with stairs so that you are encouraged to get up out of your seat, climb those stairs and walk onto the stage in and around and among the musicians. It is described as an abstract concept, but it seems like a pretty concrete image to me.

For me, the sight of musicians in space is a part of the experience of listening to live music. We use our senses, not just our hearing. We see the musicians in the performance space in front of us. We feel the energy produced by the musicians with their instruments hitting us and filling the space. And we hear the sound those instruments make. Seeing, feeling, hearing -these are all part of the holistic experience of live music. My goal is to re-create that experience to as great an extent as possible in my listening room. As such, absent the visual (we see nothing), virtual imaging, the impression of something physical, with mass, in front of you with proper scale AND in the context of a space with all the ambient cues and boundaries, contributes to the impression that you are in the presence of musicians making music. This is all part of the live music experience and such impressions all contribute to making listening at home seem more believable and convincing.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Excellent post Graham. I very much relate to all of what you wrote.

In a similar vein I wrote earlier this evening, somewhere else:

Early in my audio listening 'career' I was enthralled with the various imaging aspects of audiophile listening. I've described the experience in several reviews talking about dimensionality, palpability, bas-relief, being able to count musicians, being able walk among musicians. At times it was exciting.

As I've gone along in the hobby, those experiences are not as compelling to me as they once were. Fascination with audible parlor tricks (psycho-acoustics) wanes over time in a homogenizing way. I have not tweaked my Lamm/JBL system to enhance them. They are not a strong part of the live music experience. I think my view is somewhat larger in the sense - as I've said before - of experiencing the orchestra in a hall. That means musicians in a space with the venue context a significant part of that experience. I suppose it is still holographic but without requiring a strong visual element. It is more about the music, sometime even to the point of dissociating from the instruments. It is an experience antithetical to analysis and structured thought with a certain purity where my mind is wholly taken by the music, where I have no intentionality, and I give in to it.

That experience typically does not last long. It is not something I can will myself to have. This is the side of me that says imaging can be a distraction, an experience almost too close to the physical world. I don't want that wholly limbic 'possession' all the time, it would exhaust me, but it is a state beyond visual context. Another side of me does love the physicality of the orchestra experience, the human aspect of people making music, the brilliance of the composer and his score, the genius of the conductor in its artistic implementation. The experience of 'being in the hall.'
Thanks Tim… experiencing the orchestra in the hall (nice) is for us symphonic junkies a make and break point that comes with graduating to a system that has the capacity of displacement and fully steps up and does orchestra in the real large scale. In chamber works and music of smaller forces it’s a totally different system context than the scale of room energising needed for the larger forces of the big orchestral music.

You put on Szell and the Cleveland for Beethoven’s 3rd or Haitink and the Concertgebouw and Shostakovich and you’re going to get a lot of love from having the proper cubic inches of larger woofers in play. That launch of energy isn’t just about exactness of the recorded minutiae.

I also think that the quality of a performance itself can be a big part of setting us up to be better engaged and more connected and committed to the experience and ready enough to feel completely in tune with what is happening with the performers… then that our perception builds on this connection to create a more realistic more fleshed out experience… being more lost in the music making itself allows the recording to scaffold itself together as a more real and whole experience.

A dazzling tour de force of holographic walk in the stage recording (as fabulous fascinating audiophile parlour tricks) of an otherwise plain jane performance doesn’t have the real lasting force and intoxication of the precision and power that one of the great orchestras in full musical flight does… it’s contributions of the content more than just the quality of the sonics that makes for the proper connection and engagement.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima and PeterA

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
artifact verses attribute. sameness verses realism.

how agile and multi-tool is your 'system' presentation? does it have the acoustical and signal path headroom/capability to not limit the recording? and relate differences between them?

certainly as we grow and evolve in our musical knowledge and taste, we see deeper into what our systems can relate, but there are no bad results from a recording.

just travel around a hifi show and hear the variation of capabilities. use the same complex recording. the one that takes it furthest likely also gets the simplest recording the most correct. sure, different sources and amplification will season the result. and we don't all like the same stuff. but system synergy, ease and authority 'travel'; they allow a system to get all of what is on the recording. and sometimes that is a viewpoint of a walk around soundstage....if you have the goods to relate it. and being able to get that is not holding your system back. liking it might be something we can disagree about, but the capability is not a trait we want to avoid.

few recordings place us in the middle of the performers, and that's not something anyone pursues, or what Ron meant by his title phrase.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
experiencing the orchestra in the hall (nice) is for us symphonic junkies a make and break point that comes with graduating to a system that has the capacity of displacement and fully steps up and does orchestra in the real large scale. In chamber works and music of smaller forces it’s a totally different system context than the scale of room energising needed for the larger forces of the big orchestral music.

You put on Szell and the Cleveland for Beethoven’s 3rd or Haitink and the Concertgebouw and Shostakovich and you’re going to get a lot of love from having the proper cubic inches of larger woofers in play. That launch of energy isn’t just about exactness of the recorded minutiae.

+1 (emphasis added)

This is somewhat off-topic from the opening post, so please forgive me, but part of Graham's post was the perfect opening. This point was made abundantly clear to me, Don and three other members of our Southern California audiophile group who visited Jim Yager and his gigantic PBN Audio M777s on Saturday. The M777 is 18" x 2 + 12" x 2, with a 6" ribbon driver in the middle handling 1,200Hz and above, 95dB sensitivity, 81" tall, 490 pounds. The design concept is almost identical to that of the Goebel Divin Majestic. The key in this design is having such incredible driver surface area covering just 20Hz to 1,200Hz (1,600Hz in the case of the Majestic).

Don played Mahler's Symphony No. 3 (Zubin Mehta, Los Angeles Philharmonic). I played Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique (Chesky).

All six of us agreed it was at least one of the two or three best reproductions of large scale classical symphony orchestra music we had ever heard from high-end audio systems. This recent experience renewed my conviction that believable reproduction of large scale classical symphony orchestra music requires height and large driver surface area.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing